The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GS3A vs. MM27
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear
GS3A vs. MM27

Hi,

I'm currently using the Barefoot MM27 gen2 for most of my work (mix/mastering/production).

I do like them, a lot, however, i'm feeling that these are not the speakers i'll marry with, particularly since more and more clients are now asking me to masterize their songs / LP's.
They CAN do the job, of course, but i'm feeling since a few month like i need something in another league.

I heard and read a lot about the GS3A (mostly here on gearslutz), they seem to be the perfect monitoring system. BUT there is no practical way for me to demo them.

SO i'd like to know if some owners would confirm me that the GS3A would be a step up from the barefoot knowing that i'd have to sell my MM27's for grabbing them

thank you in advance,

Last edited by RavenKis; 5th August 2020 at 05:15 PM..
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenKis View Post
Hi,

I'm currently using the Barefoot MM27 gen2 for most of my work (mix/mastering/production).

I do like them, a lot, however, i'm feeling that these are not the speakers i'll marry with, particularly since more and more clients are now asking me to masterize their songs / LP's.
They CAN do the job, of course, but i'm feeling since a few month like i need something in another league.

I heard and read a lot about the GS3A (mostly here on gearslutz), they seem to be the perfect monitoring system. BUT there is no practical way for me to demo them.

SO i'd like to know if some owners would confirm me that the GS3A would be a step up from the barefoot knowing that i'd have to sell my MM27's for grabbing them

thank you in advance,
Being an ATC fan, I’d say go with them..The Guzauski Swift are great loudspeakers. And imho it will be a step up..
BUT at this level is quite personal and room dependent as well..
So I’d make sure that YOU (and your room) like them better, and if it’s an upgrade or not, in the end, the only one who could say it, is YOU.

Although I’d suggest also to look for a pair (maybe used?) of scm100 or scm110 and think of soffit mount them.. this will give you the best results (and their best midrange driver and tweeter) and a deep and solid, tight lowend.

PMC 3way might also be a good contender (used).. like the MB2 or ib1-s or ib2, if you can find them used..

Real soffit mounting (along with acoustic treatment/room optimization) will give you the best results.. And will be worth every penny no matter what loudspeaker you put in (that could be soffit mounted, of course).

Cheu
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

and there are other outstanding contenders in this price range:
- Genelec 8351b or 8361a with two 7360 subs
- HEDD Tower Mains Standard
- Dutch & Dutch 8c
- Kii Three
- https://www.jacobiofficial.com/uncat...e-stnd-sphere/
also the Barefoot MicroStack 45 is step up
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear
Hey guys! thanks a lot for your answers, PMC 3 ways (that I love) are out of my range. I actually have an opportunity with a correct price for the Guzauski... that's why i consider selling the barefoot

Is there any other tough/experience ?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenKis View Post
Hey guys! thanks a lot for your answers, PMC 3 ways (that I love) are out of my range. I actually have an opportunity with a correct price for the Guzauski... that's why i consider selling the barefoot

Is there any other tough/experience ?
There’s a pair of pmc ib1-s for sale on the GS classifieds for about 4k (uk pounds).. you’ll need an amp though.. but there might be other offers online close to your place with some amped models..

Just saying..

Other than that I’d try them before buying, despite what somebody on a forum says..
Make sure they are for YOU.

Cheu
Old 6th August 2020
It's completely subjective.

Barefoot has done what they can to make a monitor that is without compromise, tuned according to what they think neutrality and high fidelity sounds like. Whether you get along with that is up to your ears in your room. There is no design that will be "in another league" unless that league is the subjective one that plays in people's individual minds and rooms. With that said, it's on you to make that call.

All of the modern high-end speaker designers that make studio monitors are aiming for authentic high fidelity reproduction of the recorded sound in their designs. You can't go wrong with any of them. They're all pretty damn good. It's usually our room acoustics or personal preferences that get in the way. Can't speak for the GS set. I've heard their stuff is good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

IMHO the only way up from Barefoot is PMC and ATC but the big ones.

If you cannot afford those I would suggest you stay w the Foots!
📝 Reply