The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
repurposing Scsi cables???
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear
repurposing Scsi cables???

Hi,

I am in the process of cleaning out my studio and ran into a bunch of old scsi and ultra wide scsi cables. I hate throwing stuff away that stiil works. Can the cables be re terminated into something else useful in 2020?

Its a weird question but I'm post here as most of the people in this forum have been around long enough to know what I'm talking about the the old glyph trip racks were uber expensive back in the day.

thanks,

ej
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I suspect that the most useful thing would be trashing them all according to the proper recycling protocol.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Hi,

I am in the process of cleaning out my studio and ran into a bunch of old scsi and ultra wide scsi cables. I hate throwing stuff away that stiil works. Can the cables be re terminated into something else useful in 2020?

Its a weird question but I'm post here as most of the people in this forum have been around long enough to know what I'm talking about the the old glyph trip racks were uber expensive back in the day.

thanks,

ej
I'm not certain, but I think these kind of DATA cables had very specific capacitances etc to allow data to flow correctly for their given transfer protocol.

I can't imagine they'd make very good audio looms nor would I imagine they could transfer another format of digital.

Perhaps the poster above has it right, 're cycle appropriately
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
thank you both. i spoke to pro audio La. Basically i'd need to test the cables to see if any are at 110ohms. if not the to the trash they go.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Yamaha PM1D system uses SCSI 68 pin half pitch male to male cables to connect modules and mixer surface to brain module. So end of cable connector will have a VGA or HDMI connector shape but be very wide with two long rows of pins (im guessing 35 pins one row, 33 pins the other without looking). I'm also thinking that SCSI cables are 50 ohms not 110 like what is used for AES digital cables but I doubt any markings are on the cable insulation itself giving you info.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear