The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions about Buying Used Genelec 1032a Monitor
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

Questions about Buying Used Genelec 1032a Monitor

Hello!

I have the opportunity to purchase a single used Genelec 1032a monitor for $300 dollars. Other than checking my mixes on the monitor for sound quality, clarity, etc... what else should I check for to make sure the condition is at least decent. I am experienced in mixing/production but not as knowledgable on the hardwiring, condition of the elements inside the speaker and the condition of the cones or the speaker itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another question I have... if I were to purchase a second Genelec 1032a down the line, should I be concerned with the fact that it may not be built around the same time/close serial number?

Pictures attached.

Thanks!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about Buying Used Genelec 1032a Monitor-00l0l_hszpthszf4j_0ew0jm_600x450.jpg   Questions about Buying Used Genelec 1032a Monitor-00p0p_dftugv7phdv_0ew0jm_600x450.jpg  
Old 4th August 2020
Err. How are you going to check mixes if there’s only one of them?

It’s not like a mono grot box check.

Sounds like one of those things where you’re spending $300 on a $1k product you don’t need (but it’s a great deal).

It’d be pretty rare to find one of these alone, unless you’ve got someone splitting up a 5.1 setup.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac660 View Post
Hello!

I have the opportunity to purchase a single used Genelec 1032a monitor for $300 dollars. Other than checking my mixes on the monitor for sound quality, clarity, etc... what else should I check for to make sure the condition is at least decent. I am experienced in mixing/production but not as knowledgable on the hardwiring, condition of the elements inside the speaker and the condition of the cones or the speaker itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another question I have... if I were to purchase a second Genelec 1032a down the line, should I be concerned with the fact that it may not be built around the same time/close serial number?

Pictures attached.

Thanks!

Mike
Mike, I agree with psycho monkey above..

I don’t see the useful part in this operation other than the single loudspeaker is sold for a quite a cheap price.. but that’s probably the reason.. 1 is not very useful (and maybe comes really as a last piece of a 5.1 setup that was sold, or the other one broke/don’t work anymore and the guy don’t want to invest time/money to put up the pair again).

If you need/want a grot box or a speaker to check mixes on, look for some other pieces like a pair of the lovely papercones in the GS classifieds for about the same price, (although you need an amp for them, nowadays you can find something decent for very little dough) or an avantone.

Plus even if they were a pair I’d invest any kind of money differently today and not on an old piece like that (mind you, I’m not a gennie fan).

Cheu
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

imo the genelec 103x series still is a very good choice; i have a bunch of smaller 1029a speakers manufactured years apart and they all perform equally well.

whether a single speaker is a valuable addition to an existing set of speakers imo depends on their design though:
an additional single speaker is more valuable if it's using a vastly different design (broadband vs 2-way vs 3-way, paper vs ribbon, tweeter vs horn, conventinal arrangement of woofers vs horn-loaded system, small vs large, powered vs non-powered etc.), less valuable if all it offers is 'the same but different'.

personally, i like using a single small broadband speaker (fostex 6301nd in my case) which indeed uses a vastly different design than my actively driven, dsp corrected tannoy system10 dmt horn-loaded coax speakers - additional benefit is the center position which i prefer for checking things in mono over checking things via phantom center...
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Head

thanks for the help guys. Y'all are right, I don't think I have much need for a single monitor the more I think about it.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

i will buy it for $300 if anyone can post a link to the sale site.

yep, its good to have a spare.

Buddha
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Head

@ BIG BUDDHA , just seein this... looks like the it has sold, I can't find it on craigslist anymore. i'll let you know if I see it again.

Thanks again for the advice guys! saved me $300 I almost spent impulsively. I have a lot to learn about speakers!
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

side note..as a G dealer the 1032 was never my fave...i thought the 10" to dome transition 'clumsy' and we had some early woofer failures.
Then i saw that the 1032 was George Massenburgs speaker of choice....
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
side note..as a G dealer the 1032 was never my fave...i thought the 10" to dome transition 'clumsy' and we had some early woofer failures.
That doesn’t make the 1032 any better..

Just means that worked for HIM at that time..
He could use anything and reach the same results.
The room at blackbird have ATC’s, but again, I saw him in other places using whatever was there (using PMC’s) and audeze (I believe) headphones with a mytek dac, stellar results.

Cheu
Old 13th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
That doesn’t make the 1032 any better..

Just means that worked for HIM at that time..
He could use anything and reach the same results.
The room at blackbird have ATC’s, but again, I saw him in other places using whatever was there (using PMC’s) and audeze (I believe) headphones with a mytek dac, stellar results.

Cheu
Funnily enough the studio I work in has ATC mains and 1032 near field.

I learned pretty much on 1031s...my project room has 1030s plus a Genelec sub.

I guess I’m just used to the sound! I find whenever you scale up or down, the flavour remains.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
That doesn’t make the 1032 any bettter

Cheu
Obviously...but great enginners make music not excuses
📝 Reply