The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 55 repair inquiry
Old 3rd August 2020
Neve 55 repair inquiry

Hi gang, I have the opp to buy a neve 55 For my home studio at an incredible price ($6k!) so I think I’m gonna snatch it up. Can anyone with experience tell me what you think it would cost (a tech) to:
1. Put a tranny on 16 channels
2. Recap where needed

I’ve been a part of a few LFC recap projects but never the guy opening his wallet.

I’d be using it for tracking only. The groups have trannys and are apparently really sweet. Eq and comps are very useful from what I hear too. The only thing I need is edac put into my daw somehow. I have ya patchbays and would like to stick to that so edac to TRS should be easy enough. Think I can keep the cost of repair down to 2-3k or is that too frugal? Thanks
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Think I can keep the cost of repair down to 2-3k or is that too frugal? Thanks
Too frugal or "wishful thinking"?

16 trannies alone will eat alot of that up.

And to pay a tech $50/$75 an hr to work a ton of hours to go through the mixer, fix , recap, rewire and tweak everything will drive the overall price up to the point it may no longer seem as a deal.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

I’m very much with thrill here.

Spend 6k on a track of preamps and move on. As much as I love consoles unless it’s a deal or a steal I great condition I’d serve them.
Old 4th August 2020
Yea I’ve got a full blown studio now with more than 16 pre’s, all very nice too I just would love a centerpiece instead of an argosy desk. I am willing to drop 4-6k on a tech to do this work. Unfortunately all the good techs in nyc area are 100-150/hr So it ain’t gonna be cheap. Anyone using a 55 or 66 series in 2020 and loving it?
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Yea I’ve got a full blown studio now with more than 16 pre’s, all very nice too I just would love a centerpiece instead of an argosy desk. I am willing to drop 4-6k on a tech to do this work. Unfortunately all the good techs in nyc area are 100-150/hr So it ain’t gonna be cheap. Anyone using a 55 or 66 series in 2020 and loving it?
Its just not worth it to sink that much on a Neve 55 in my opinion.
Its nothing close to a 53 series broadcast console..

You'll be better off to save your money on something that's easier to work on and sounds better.
Old 4th August 2020
By the way here is a Reverb link for a channel with pictures.

You can see how many caps there are and also they managed to install an OEP transformer to the input.

https://reverb.com/item/12152291-nev...-channel-strip
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Buy a Neotek elite Or Elan (like I have) and move on. Very serviceable and ike zimbel knows them inside out and they sound pretty darn good for the money!
Old 5th August 2020
You guys are totally right. I called the seller and basically told him all these exact reasons why I’m gonna pass. Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet. I really loved the Neotek in conservatory ... I think that’s gonna be the home studio centerpiece. I like the idea of having a low operating cost (for both electric and maintenance). Never really thought about electric bill, just heat!
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Neoteks are easy to maintain and also don’t use expensive parts and you can mod them if required.

Last edited by Wiggy Neve Slut; 5th August 2020 at 02:01 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear