The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix bus EQ advice
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Mix bus EQ advice

hi all,

wondering if some people could share some wisdom please. i’m after a mix bus EQ.

current main contender is the thermionic swift. i’ve used a fat bustard a lot and love the eq section.

i’m after something that can open up the mids and do that 3D kind of thing a massive passive does. i haven’t used many top end eq’s but the massive passive and d.w fearns both seem to really add depth to the mid range in a way i’ve never heard in a plug-in. I’m hesitant to get a massive passive because it does a bit too much / too many options for my simple brain. also swift is prob top of my price range.

thanks

Last edited by wizzman5000; 4th August 2020 at 07:27 AM..
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

I have a fat bustard and love the EQ on it as well. My only stand alone EQ is a chandler curve bender which I love. I think it compliments the fat bustard very well. The curve bender is dead simple to use I highly recommend checking it out.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear
I love my GML 8200. But it is not a color piece like the curve bender. It's the ultimate uncolored EQ if that's desired.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

thanks for the info. curve bender looks great but a bit over what i’m hoping to spend at the mo
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict
Drawmer 1974 and its only $1000 damn near perfect!!
Its a parametric EQ
Its has Low and high cut filters
You can adjust the lows, low mids, high mids and highs and input signal.
Best of all it sounds great
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

thanks for the tip! i know almost nothing about the drawmer but will check it out
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzman5000 View Post
thanks for the tip! i know almost nothing about the drawmer but will check it out
I do think that the Massive Passive is a great bus eq.. not cheap, but you can find it used for “decent” prices. I like it, the mids are where it shines.. it’s not so complicated after all, although it has a lot of options, you just need to get used.
On the bus I generally tend to do almost always the same (or similar) moves.. so there’s not really a lot to change anyway

Another great piece is the Gyraf G23-S, which is a very simple to use tilt eq, with and added 3 band eq, and you can use its tube version or at a flick of a switch the solid state version..underrated!

Custom Audio Germany CAG-250HDE is another fav of mine, it’s clean-ish but very musical eq that does what you described.. it gives “life” to the program when boosted and when you cut is one of the most natural eq I’ve heard.. very well built (and I don’t say this lightly) and the price is ridicolous.. do yourself a favour and check it out.

I know Custom Audio Germany does some pulteq versions as well, both tube and solid state that might be of interest (they’re somewhat “cleaner” than the originals, they do sound great though).

Another piece that should be considdred for the way it sounds is the Avedis E12G (or even the E27), these are 500 series modules, although very high headroom and high quality ones..
the E12G do very well on the bus and the pair is very well priced.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

NTI
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

My current dream mix bus EQ is the Thermionic Swift.

I don't own one but I've used one on a few mix sessions and I was blown away with it's sound.

For my tastes, it's close on perfect for a mix bus EQ, it's a fantastic channel EQ too.

The filter curves are very musical sounding to my ears, and the presence and air band are just so open sounding, I also really loved the Low Shelf filter too which was really big and warm sounding but still tight and smooth. I thought the whole EQ sounded very 3D and gave the mix bus some real depth.

I also thought the build quality was very good, all the controls felt very smooth and controlled.

I used the balanced version, not cheap but worth a demo if you can organise one.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict
Don't know if this is something you're after but Bettermaker Mastering EQ has changed my life for the better big time. All the bands sound very good to my ears and the digital recall thing opens up lots of possibilities. If Thermionic stuff sounds cool to you, this might be too clean though...?

-- M
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

I use to own a Massive Passive for a few years and sold it to try the Hammer eq. I prefer the Hammer..I never connected with the massive for some reason,not sure why?...I have owned a bunch of different inductor eq's and love them..

I found the Hammer made the mix sound a little better without even doing any eqing at all..and once you do some eq, it's very smooth and has depth..
Old 6th August 2020
I don't think it was mentioned - the Great River MAQ is very 3D in the mids. Definitely the best bang for the buck mastering/mixing EQ around IMHO (uses hi end precision switches for repeatability). I do like Thermionic a lot though.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I have a Retro 2a3 on the mix bus, purely for a bit of sweetening when needed - not sure its the wisest choice for my setup though to be honest, I'd love to be able to finesse the mid range a bit more than I currently can.

The next EQs I want to try if money allows (likely way in future)
Gyraf G14
Avalon 2055
Knife Soma
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Drawmer 1974 and its only $1000 damn near perfect!!
Its a parametric EQ
Its has Low and high cut filters
You can adjust the lows, low mids, high mids and highs and input signal.
Best of all it sounds great
Good choice. I use my 1974 drawmer for a lot of OTB EQing.
Great for drum overheads.
The variable slope makes it a little more versatile than some of the other outboard EQ I have.
📝 Reply