The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Curve Bender for mastering chain
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear
Chandler Curve Bender for mastering chain

Hello,

I am seriously considering a Curve Bender to compliment my NSEQ2ffmod.
Mostly master techno, dance music as sometimes more pop stuff / I’d also use it for tracking sometimes.

Anyone experienced both units In the same chain ?
Any conter advice / other suggestion for another EQ ? (I actually dig the color of it tho)

thanks,
R.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenKis View Post
Hello,

I am seriously considering a Curve Bender to compliment my NSEQ2ffmod.
Mostly master techno, dance music as sometimes more pop stuff / I’d also use it for tracking sometimes.

Anyone experienced both units In the same chain ?
Any conter advice / other suggestion for another EQ ? (I actually dig the color of it tho)

thanks,
R.
I have about a week worth of experience with the curve bender, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I think it sounds great in the midrange not the low end too much, I used a MAAg EQ behind it just to hit the low end.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear
hey man,
thanks for sharing the tip with the maag!
the 10hz band always works ahah
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

For me, the magic of the Curve Bender is in the midrange. Highs have a nice character. For clean lows, you’ll probably want something else.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head
would it be crazy to get 4x TG12345 500 series, 2 midrange EQ points per channel?
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear
@ disantlor : you'd loose the filters!

btw, lucky owner of the beast, do you feel the Curve Bender filters usefull in mastering situation ?

or better using a cleaner one for that ? (such as BAX EQ / bettermaker...)
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

The Curve Bender is amazing and is a piece I would never want to sell.
I had it for 3 years and it lives on the bus, and often in the front end.
It has a huge character.
The classic "just passing through is enough to make anything sound better" is 100% true. It all becomes thicker.
The midrange is the highlight like others were saying here but, you don't pay this kind of money for a few frequency ranges, and I assure you
the rest is great too, the HP and LP filters, and what it does when boosting 91 is magic.

Recommended.
Old 6th August 2020
t_d
Lives for gear

i've got both the curve bender and the nseqFF and they're really different. for me, and i know these sorts of adjectives and descriptors are highly subjective... i call the FF a very "wet" EQ.. i find it very euphonic. i tend not to use it on overly resonant material as i find it imparts a softness and color that can make that kind of sound too much.... the CB to me, sounds very solid and "dry" and very different from the FF..

i use the CB more, generally, tho i find the FF to be sweeter sounding. i actually really love the 4.2khz CUT on the CB... it's amazing for removing sizzle from digital tracks.. really great .. i also find myself, as others have said, in the mid range.. usually a couple dB of boost.. 300, 400, 500, really adds a nice weight.

i think the two EQs are great together because i find them so different....

if you have a UAD you may want to demo both plug ins, if you haven't already.. that should get you mostly there.
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear
Thank you so much guys!!! so helpfull. now i'm fully convinced it's the missing piece of my chain
@ t_d : thanks a lot also for sharing experience with both units, think i see what you mean about the FF sound and completely agree. i sometime like to remove some harshness with it too + the low boosts are soooo sweet

Last edited by RavenKis; 6th August 2020 at 03:58 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear