The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on converters/interface
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear

Advice on converters/interface

Hello all,

I spend most of my time working in a busy studio with large format consoles and tape machines. That said, I’m constantly making improvements to my project studio, and it’s becoming very good in it’s own right. I really want to upgrade my converter situation, though.

What I’m looking for is 24 channels of excellent A/D conversion to get from my Studer a827 to the computer (iMac, and MacBook Pro), and then 8 channels or so of D/A for hardware processing during hybrid mixing. I would most prefer a FireWire/USB/thunderbolt interface because it’s so convenient.

I am familiar with Lynx Auroras, UA Apollo, and Apogee Symphony, and I would like to do better than that. This puts me in the world of Mytek, Burl, and Prism. My ideal would be the Prism ada-8xr, but I don’t want to spend $15k+ on conversion. I’m also very interested in the Prism Titan, but I have no interest in or need for the mic pres, so it seems silly to pay for them. I’ve used Burl a/d and I thought it was excellent, but I don’t really like the idea of having to go the Madi route to interface with my Macs.

Are there any options that I’m not thinking about?

Thank you!
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Head

You could daisy chain 3 Mytek 8x192 with the firewire card which would cost about $8000 new for 24 in/out. The blue and grey version are the same so you could probably get them cheaper used. I am doing this with 2 units and it works great. If at some point the firewire card becomes obsolete with newer macs (soon?), you can always add one or two Lynx AES16e interface and get thunderbolt with a Sonnet pcie thunderbolt chassis. This was the most cost effective option on a per channel basis when I took the plunge a couple of years ago, but there could be other options now.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks j.colt. This definitely is an option I've considered. I've never had the opportunity to use Mytek before, so I guess I've been a bit reticent about it. This does seem like a good option, though, and people seem to really like the 8x192.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear
Will be worth your time to check out the black lion site. They have good ratings on the converters before and after mod's.

I currently have Alpha link(w/ mod), QS8, and a B2. Out of these, I like the B2 the best, the alpha link second, and the QS8 last. Mods and external clocks make the Alpha link fantastic. Before that it was Meh. QS8 is a bit crisp for me, but is good on some sources. I pick converters like preamps. Another variance in the chain.

I would be looking at the RME MADI FX, then shop for converters.
Unless you are a computer network geek. Then Daunte is worth a look.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Nut
I'd say go with a Lynx Aurora (n). That's what I have and it slays. Also, this is a pretty great thread thats been going on for years on the transparency of A/D D/A's using loopback tests as a means of measuring.
Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Will be worth your time to check out the black lion site. They have good ratings on the converters before and after mod's.

Honestly I think their "rating" system is crap. Look at the way they rate the Apogee Symphony before the mod. On the thread I posted above, the Symphony Mk II comes pretty close to the top. Outside of the original Digi 002 mod, I don't trust these guys.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input. I'm somewhat sceptical of the Auroras, as I've worked for years on the Aurora 16s, and I know I can do better. Probably 75% of my records are all on tape, mixing down to either a Spitz ATR 102 or a Lavry Gold. I'm always disappointed when I work on the Auroras. Maybe the new ones are much better, but my experience with Burl and Prism leads me to believe I'd be happier (albeit poorer) with them.

Mytek is appealing because it's considerably cheaper than the Prism options I've been exploring.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

i believe Burl has increased its interfacing options to Digigrid...and Dante

Last edited by MIKEHARRIS; 4th August 2020 at 07:03 PM..
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

right now I'm playing around with this thing (check link below) over Madi but DigiGrid is around the corner or even there. I really like it. It's module based. I like the AD/DA but even the high end Micpre they build sounds really really good ...

https://www.directout.eu/en/products/prodigymc/
📝 Reply