The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats the current king of SSL style compressors?
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Whats the current king of SSL style compressors?

A few years back it seemed to be the Dramastic Audio Obsidian - I see a lot still using the C2. I'm looking to get something.

TO CLARIFY - SSL BUSS COMPRESSOR

Last edited by gfunny72; 17th July 2020 at 10:10 PM..
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

... SSL?
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
... SSL?
Old 17th July 2020
Prob the smart research rack or the Vertigo.
Old 20th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Prob the smart research rack or the Vertigo.
Yes the Vertigo is the best I've owned, it just has that bounce to the rhythm and a lovely sound.
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Maniac

By 'SSL style' do we just mean VCA?
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Maniac
VCA

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
By 'SSL style' do we just mean VCA?
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 View Post
Yes
RND MBP is a great contender too, as are Roger Foote comps. A lot of it might come down to if you are doing mix work or mastering etc.
Old 21st July 2020
No SSL style comp has been as cool as the original G384. The steep knee and the mid excitement, saturation is the best I've tried. You would need to use a HP filter in today's mix heavy environment
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Smart C2 for me. Prefer it over the Obsidian!
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Addict
Love both of my digi controllable SSL type VCAs, Bettermaker Mstering Comp and WesAudio ngBusComp. Great plugin controllable hardware..Love the sound, the easy recalls, automation possibilities and also the basic tone of both boxes.
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Owning the bettermaker mastering compressor which is a great tweakbox. But also the less know tegeler crème is really nice and is a bit rounder in its compression.
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear

I used the Serpent SB4001. Had the chance to try it directly against the current SSL G Bus Comp, an Obsidian, and the TK 501, I just prefer the punch and flexibility (continuously variable release time is what I use to fine tune the shape of my mix on the mix bus). Obsidian was a bit too transparent for me, perhaps better suited to mastering duties as far as my ears are concerned.

Seriously considering an upgrade to the Vertigo though as I use the VSM2, and having the option to use the Vertigo in Mid/side mode via the VSM2 matrix is a highly tempting (and I can imagine hugely useful) proposition.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

the little black IGS S-type VU 500 series modules look a damn sight more sexy than their older green versions - 650 euro for a stereo SSL style comp with blend and side chain is brilliant! Would love to try one eventually.
Old 2nd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla View Post
Owning the bettermaker mastering compressor which is a great tweakbox. But also the less know tegeler crème is really nice and is a bit rounder in its compression.
A man of your infinite knowledge and wisdom should be making his own.

otherwise,

@ AudioScape Buss comp
@ Stam buss comp
Focusrite Red 3 (o.g.)

what are you looking for? The SSL style VCA buss comp does two things well.
1. Widens and flattens the stereo image
2. Crunches it together. Adds first and second order harmonic distortion in the process.

What defines the best SSL buss comp?
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Head
Smart C1LA!
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
A man of your infinite knowledge and wisdom should be making his own.

otherwise,

@ AudioScape Buss comp
@ Stam buss comp
Focusrite Red 3 (o.g.)

what are you looking for? The SSL style VCA buss comp does two things well.
1. Widens and flattens the stereo image
2. Crunches it together. Adds first and second order harmonic distortion in the process.

What defines the best SSL buss comp?
Are the SSL style buss comps really adding 1st and 2nd order harmonics? My experience is they seem on the cleaner side of things and are transparent?
Old 3rd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulR View Post
Smart C1LA!
☝🏼
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

The blue beast is the best I've heard; Vertigo VSC.

MBP has its own strengths however, love the texture and width it can add.
Old 3rd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm sounds View Post
Are the SSL style buss comps really adding 1st and 2nd order harmonics? My experience is they seem on the cleaner side of things and are transparent?
They might be adding more broadband distortion too. Not saying it's a fuzz drive, but there's audible distortion you can hear. At least the way everybody I know used/uses them.
Old 3rd August 2020
Quote:
I’ve never heard that either. I use an SSL bus comp when I want that very particular snare sound. That puffy pillowy poppy snare, or when I want that clean SSL glue.

I’ve found SSL bus compressors are much better on actual buses and stems than on the master. Most modern bass heavy songs... the SSL just can’t hang with the low frequency content.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Nut

The original DBX G compressor has a sound all of its own.

The THAT chip boxes didn’t
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

FWIW, I think the Foote Control Systems P3EX is a pretty stellar unit.

It is more balanced than the Smart C1. The Smart C1 is great for snares and guitars, is edgy and grabby, but not as full range as the FCS.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
FWIW, I think the Foote Control Systems P3EX is a pretty stellar unit.
yes, ... it is

+1 for that
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac

the EX is a bit darker sounding than the regular P3 right? bet its great!
Old 5th August 2020
Quote:
The original G384 adds some sort of grit or saturation in the mids. The steep knee also helps to glue things together. Most clones have to soft of a knee, which can be nice to if you want a more transparent sound!

A g384 with an added filter would be my go-to if I ever bought one again
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I bought a Smart C2 about a year ago and never really used it much until this last week. I finally wired up the sidechain to my patchbay. Wow. The sidechain really opens this unit up!! I’ve been getting great punch and vibe out of it!!! I almost sold it. Not anymore

I find it has a bit of a different tone to the older SSL compressor. The SSL seems to have a weight to it. The C2 is more detailed sounding. Great for pop and hip hop. Crush really adds some teeth, if needed!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
The original G384 adds some sort of grit or saturation in the mids. The steep knee also helps to glue things together. Most clones have to soft of a knee, which can be nice to if you want a more transparent sound!

It’s the DBX chip in the originals that gives it crunch.

I bought three G384 from a studio closing in Manhattan a bunch of years ago not knowing this. Two had THAT chips. One had a DBX. Guy was selling for $2000

I sold two. I kept the one for a long time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post

Have you heard the @ AudioScape buss comp? Does exactly what you are talking about. The @ Stam busscomp is great too, but a softer knee - I have one of those as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

C2
📝 Reply