The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wanting to split output signal with a passive monitor controller -can a Y cable work?
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Nut

Wanting to split output signal with a passive monitor controller -can a Y cable work?

Hi,

I currently use a Drawmer MC2.1 as a monitor controller. I only need to to take one signal from my converter, and split that to both monitor mains and a sub. One stereo in, two stereo out that are both controlled by a single volume knob. I do this because I am not a fan of digital attenuation and the noise floor issues it can cause (changing volume with a fixed noise floor from bit depth.) The Drawmer MC2.1 works okay, but stereo tracking isn't consistent. There are some high quality passive monitor controllers, but they all seem to only allow for one output (such as from Goldpoint, Mammoth Cave, etc.)

Functionally, is there much difference between a passive monitor controller option that I want (passively splitting an input to two different outputs) and just a Y cable? It seems like the end result is an impedance change and a bit of a weaker signal, but shouldn't affect audio quality. If so, I could just get a single stereo I/O and then just Y cable the output. If this would be worse than an alternative, I am happy to hear a solution.
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Maniac

Hi cmwolf !!,

This is Branic in Portland.

Sounds like you need a high quality monitor controller and a small passive or active crossover, or a device that can do both.

For devices that can do both...

I'd suggest looking at:

- Grace M905 (all analog version)
- Cranesong Avocet

or more for mastering:

- Crookwood M3 (with bass management option)
- SPL DMC

For just a crossover (if you stick with the Drawmer):

Active - JL Audio CR1, or maybe Xkitz Linkwitz-Riley 2-Way Active Crossover
Passive - any DIY design once you know your desired crossover point

--

I use a Merging Anubis, which has built in digital control over bass management and other mastering console functionality.

I assume you like your convertors and don't need a box like the Grace or Cranesong—maybe its better to go with a simple passive setup?
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut

Hi Branic!!

My subwoofer has a crossover, and I don’t like touching the mains’ signal at all once it leaves the audio interface. I fold the sub in around 40hz where my mains drop off and it’s mainly there for anything sticking out in the lowest octaves.

I really only need a clean passive split connected to an attenuator, which I was curious about a high quality Y cable built with something like Mogami. I know passively splitting a signal will give some volume and impedance drop, but would a purpose-built controller do anything a Y cable won’t?

And I am very happy with my converters, it’s a Lynx Hilo. I use the AD/DA loop with a Gyraf EQ, and then the monitor out goes into my system. The different signals I can adjust with the transformers make interfacing with gear so easy
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear
Passive split cable is fine. Impedances on outputs make this not an issue compared to say splitting a mic input (which is also fine just ideally don’t split more than once).
For distributing to multiple devices (like a rack of old school tape recorders if any churches are still using those!) you’d ideally use a line driver/splitter like a Drawmer DA6.

Splitting once is fine and I’ve wired up tonnes of PA racks doing just that before the days of Dante and amps having analogue inputs and outputs.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear
The Dangerus ST can be set up with 4 sets of speakers, or 3 sets and a sub. The sub can be on or off for each other pair. Not as nice as the Grace, but does not cost as much either.
📝 Reply