The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Everyone in High End Forum use Pro Tools?
Old 3rd August 2020
  #271
Lives for gear
 
pentagon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStone View Post
In what way?
The list is long. If you don't use multiple platforms you won't know their usefulness. But I'll start with a basic and extremely powerful one in Cubase/Nuendo: the Logical Editor.
It's very deep in what it can do so I'll let you google about it.
Old 4th August 2020
  #272
I've used just about every daw.

Mixed on all of them.

I love what Harrison is doing.

Love the lightweight of reaper but don't like editing in it.

Samplitude.STILL has a sound.

I loved cubase /.nuendo up too very 5/6 then the GUI got really funky and I can't stand it.

And Protools I have a love and hate relationship with it. But I'm on ultimate with Apollo X's ( they need to freaking remove the 32 track limit already ) coming close to the 32 I/o limit ( currently at 28 i think at 96k ).

Editing and shortcuts are it's strong points. It's trash at CPU handling with some plugin makers. So much so that I've said **** IT..... Let me go HYBRID. And my systems works actually very flawless for me. I use a D-Command and everything is easily accessible for me.


Reaper does have a eucon function someone was working on cause I used it. Just wish they made there editing more like other daws.

Studio one btw is really REALLY a close second for me. I wish they would implement eucon also and I may just jump ship. The pipeline plug is FANTASTIC.

BTW I am more hyrid /.OTB.

And awwwww I want a radar system. Even did a few spots for them. Ok ciao.
Old 4th August 2020
  #273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
It’s crap 💩 on a stick. Never works without errors totally vibe killing software
I can't remember the last time I had a PT error.

Oh wait, yes I can - a couple of weeks ago, I was finding PT just hanging for no real reason.

Turned out to be my backup drive - I have a dump drive I use and I'd left it on accidentally, I think the chipset is a bit flakey since it crashes on it's own sometimes.

Removed that and it's back to plain sailing.

The whole "PT always has errors" brigade either a) can't read the system requirements (PCs are quite tight) b) try to run either a bunch of dodgy plugins or god knows what other unstable software on their laptops or c) just seem to be completely inept technically.

FWIW I see far more issues with Live or Logic randomly crashing with clients. I can't remember the last time I had a proper Pro Tools unexplained crash. There ARE still some buggy plugins (Autotune can force a crash occasionally) but that's about it.

As for "vibe killing" - with autobackup set to a minute, I only ever lose a max of 2 minutes for a reset

It's sometimes not the plane, but the pilot...
Old 4th August 2020
  #274
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
What you don't get is the international industry standard file/session interchange standard that Pro Tools offers. In all other ways imho, Pro Tools no longer has an edge over DAW's like Cubase/Nuendo.
Aside from stuff like pyramix, I don't think there's a proper low latency, band-capable tracking competition. UAD is fine for overdubs, but cue mixer software is an added complication.

That's not to say I don't think the cost differential means the workaround is insurmountable; only that it IS a work-around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
The answer to the thread, in my opinion, is:
Most do, but not for long. The monopoly will not last forever.
It is already have changed a lot in the last 10 years from the "PT or you're an amateur" dogma.

I predict the trend will continue. Especially as the business is shrinking and studios are closing and bedroom is often the new "studio"....

At the moment the only real agreed on main advantages left are 2:
1- Compatibility, "standard"
2- Low latency plugins while recording (with HDX$$)

That's it
The disadvantages are there too (MIDI anyone?), with the most easy to spot; the abysmal difference in price with other platforms.

Personally I've been making a living for the last 15+ years (I'm so old!) years using Cubase/Nuendo happily and, honestly with no envy of PT users.
I've never had latency problems while all the people with LE versions of PT and many other DAWS were going crazy with buffer settings and even having to realign manually tracks... "Direct monitoring" to external mixer for cue monitoring and no latency madness, jazz bands easily playing those 170BPM free stuff with no hickups etc...

PT lovers: don't jump at me I'm not a PT hater or anything, I just observe how things have been moving and I think the shift slowly coming from many small to medium facilities and young professionals in general is under everyone's eyes (large facilities really have no choice as PT is expected). PT is a great software don't get me wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
We've all been hearing of the demise of PT for 15 years. Hasn't happened yet. Personally, I'll continue to use it til it's not working anymore. I find it the best overall solution to many DAW issues. YMMV.
Yeah, I agree. LUNA is UAD's best approach, but it's back to the days of PT LE - can only make it work with a UAD interface, so however good it is the market is limited. Shame they don't open it up to be able to work with other interfaces for mixing at least. With a compatible interface it's the only thing that appears to be as well integrated - but not everyone wants a UAD interface.
Old 4th August 2020
  #275
Gear Addict
 
MrChick's Avatar
 

I did work in some ancient editors (audio file, fairlight, Dawn, S8...), also in PT for years doing sound design and postproduction. As a composer Ive always preferred Logic, it was my first program (V2.5) and I keep working with it. Since 2004 in my studio I work with Logic and a digital desk. No latency for tracking and I can compose, produce and mix at time. I don’t mix wih a mouse, I mix in the console with my hands.
Old 4th August 2020
  #276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BStone View Post
In what way? Maybe after years of composing for film and TV in PT I am missing something...?
This is not as not as true as it once was, but PT still has some catching up to do when it comes to midi sequencing features and workflow.

If you look at something like Cubase or Logic, PT’s MIDI can seem a little “tacked on.” I think this has more to do with the evolution of all these programs than anything else. PT’s real strength has always been audio tracking and mixing. Logic and Cubase have always been more MIDI focused.

That’s why I’m personally hesitant to move to a native platform. PTHD’s workflow for tracking and mixing are great, and HD gives me a guaranteed track count, even with obnoxious amounts of plugin processing.

Everyone I know who tells me they have a stable system in a native DAW still has to freeze tracks, create workarounds.... especially those composing with many virtual instruments.

The composers I know with the real big sessions offload to another computer running their instruments via VSL or similar because of this reason. The want the MIDI features found in native DAWS, but cannot do it reliably without a second dedicated VI computer.
Old 5th August 2020
  #277
Here for the gear
Just watched the first of the Kenny Gioia Reaper vids on YouTube, and, gosh, it does look very easy and quick to use. So tempting for me, as someone who works with a number of audio and MIDI tracks in tandem. I think I'll take the 60 days free, for the ****s 'n' giggles.

One thing that concerns me, though, is the flexibility I currently enjoy of sending my Pro Tools sessions to a mixer, when in Reaper it's all so bespoke. Opening up a Reaper session if you're unfamiliar with someone else's workflow and aesthetics (given that it's so customisable) could induce a hole mess of confusion. Sure, you can send a batch of multitracks; but being able to pull up a session and have the piece already-contextualised can be a real boon for both parties.
Old 5th August 2020
  #278
Gear Maniac
 
smallstonefan's Avatar
 

I am no pro but I just purchased Pro Tools this weekend and ordered a pair of S1 controllers and an Avid dock. I use Ableton to create and was using Studio One with a Faderport 16 to mix. However, Studio One v5 is completely unstable for me and their support gave me the run-around of anti-virus, reinstall your plugins, etc. etc. etc.

I avoided PT for a long time due to the price and Avid's reputation - but DAMN. The way you set up a project, how it handles plugin slots, and the amazing editing and grouping functionality - it all just makes sense to me. I see now why people praise the audio editing.

I get that Avid may not be the most customer-centric company out there, but I wish I would have made this move a long time ago!
Old 5th August 2020
  #279
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
This is not as not as true as it once was, but PT still has some catching up to do when it comes to midi sequencing features and workflow.

If you look at something like Cubase or Logic, PT’s MIDI can seem a little “tacked on.”
It is an understatement. Although doeble and certainly viable for many great people, PT's MIDI implementation is frankly... Well not as elegant, flexible, and straightforward as Cubase (and DP I'm told).
I think the composers for media using it for writing do it more for the great compatibility and not having to go back and forth from DAW to DAW (It will always have to end up as a PT sess), or just because they are used to and fluent in PT (which at the end of the day is the most important aspect, your personal workflow with the tool).
I don't believe for a second someone would prefer the MIDI implementation of PT for reasons other than these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
...... HD gives me a guaranteed track count, even with obnoxious amounts of plugin processing.
Erm... It is irrelevant now, in 1999-2005 it was an actual issue.
Native doesn't "guarantee" anything, but you keep opening tracks, and tracks, and tracks.... On a good system it is a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post

Everyone I know who tells me they have a stable system in a native DAW still has to freeze tracks, create workarounds.... especially those composing with many virtual instruments.
I don't know who you spoke too... It is not true.
Tons and tons of VIs, effects, and tracks... Hundreds...
No track freezing, no workarounds...
(Again with a good system and enough RAM)
Excluding DSP processing, actually I believe (from my experience comparing two similar-ish systems ) that PT actually uses native resources worse than other DAWS.
Old 5th August 2020
  #280
Gear Addict
 
Digiplex's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
I am no pro but I just purchased Pro Tools this weekend and ordered a pair of S1 controllers and an Avid dock. I use Ableton to create and was using Studio One with a Faderport 16 to mix. However, Studio One v5 is completely unstable for me and their support gave me the run-around of anti-virus, reinstall your plugins, etc. etc. etc.

I avoided PT for a long time due to the price and Avid's reputation - but DAMN. The way you set up a project, how it handles plugin slots, and the amazing editing and grouping functionality - it all just makes sense to me. I see now why people praise the audio editing.

I get that Avid may not be the most customer-centric company out there, but I wish I would have made this move a long time ago!
Don’t forget your support plan and melodyne
Old 5th August 2020
  #281
Gear Maniac
 
smallstonefan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiplex View Post
Don’t forget your support plan and melodyne
Hi Digplex,

I'm not following you...?

I have Melodyne 5 Editor so I'm not worried about the version with Studio One.

What do you mean about support plan?
Old 11th August 2020
  #282
Gear Addict
 
dillweed's Avatar
Somewhat related:
Anyone with PT and studio owner experience want to make a few $ consulting?
Just want to get some input on how to smartly integrate PT with current setup.

PM me please.
Old 11th August 2020
  #283
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
NOT STEMS!!!! STEMS COME POST MIX! COME ON!!!!!!

Ahem. Sorry. but we as professionals need to use the right terms!
Haha. I know. I hate when people use the term, “stems” when they clearly want the multitrack. I share your frustration.
Old 11th August 2020
  #284
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
...Erm... It is irrelevant now, in 1999-2005 it was an actual issue.
Native doesn't "guarantee" anything, but you keep opening tracks, and tracks, and tracks.... On a good system it is a non-issue.



I don't know who you spoke too... It is not true.
Tons and tons of VIs, effects, and tracks... Hundreds...
No track freezing, no workarounds...
(Again with a good system and enough RAM)
Excluding DSP processing, actually I believe (from my experience comparing two similar-ish systems ) that PT actually uses native resources worse than other DAWS.
Just reading your banter. I have to say that mixing on my HDX rig is so smooth and effortless. All of my main workhorse plugins are AAX DSP. I never have to worry about limitations with plugins or freezing. Everything is snappy and my cpu always has plenty of headroom to spare—when I need native plugins. When I open the same mix session on Pro Tools native, it’s not as great of an experience. Everything is sluggish and the playback error codes start popping up.

With HDX, I can clearly get as detailed on a mix as I need to be without worrying about CPU spikes. It’s not for everyone, but I’m a firm believe in DSP assisted DAWs. It’s a whole different game in my opinion.

But I see your point with how powerful the latest computers are these days, these things are becoming less of an issue. But imo, there is a great security of running an HDX system. It’s worked so well for so many years and keeps on ticking. My computer is average. It’s fast but not crazy. I could care less about upgrading, and I don’t feel limited while working.

And yes, you are absolutely correct. PT MIDI is the worst. As basic as it gets. Hello Ableton!
Old 11th August 2020
  #285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Just reading your banter. I have to say that mixing on my HDX rig is so smooth and effortless. All of my main workhorse plugins are AAX DSP. I never have to worry about limitations with plugins or freezing. Everything is snappy and my cpu always has plenty of headroom to spare—when I need native plugins. When I open the same mix session on Pro Tools native, it’s not as great of an experience. Everything is sluggish and the playback error codes start popping up.

With HDX, I can clearly get as detailed on a mix as I need to be without worrying about CPU spikes. It’s not for everyone, but I’m a firm believe in DSP assisted DAWs. It’s a whole different game in my opinion.

But I see your point with how powerful the latest computers are these days, these things are becoming less of an issue. But imo, there is a great security of running an HDX system. It’s worked so well for so many years and keeps on ticking. My computer is average. It’s fast but not crazy. I could care less about upgrading, and I don’t feel limited while working.

And yes, you are absolutely correct. PT MIDI is the worst. As basic as it gets. Hello Ableton!
As someone who’s a self confessed midi minimalist - what is so bad about PT’s midi? The sustain data is a pain (multiple playlists but only one controller lane), but apart from that...any automation needed you can do with PT automation, editing is easy enough...what am I missing out on? I’ve genuinely never had an issue with not being able to achieve what I needed to.
Old 11th August 2020
  #286
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
As someone who’s a self confessed midi minimalist - what is so bad about PT’s midi? The sustain data is a pain (multiple playlists but only one controller lane), but apart from that...any automation needed you can do with PT automation, editing is easy enough...what am I missing out on? I’ve genuinely never had an issue with not being able to achieve what I needed to.
Ditto.
Old 11th August 2020
  #287
Lives for gear
Ditto, again.

Well, I'm not a truly righteous minimalist - I do employ MIDI tracks very often. But I'm not feeling pain. What gives?


Thanks,

Ray H.
Old 11th August 2020
  #288
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

I never had much trouble with PT midi because of the nature of midi playlists were never important, I just worked the track until it was good. But I’m switching to LUNA. As an Apollo user it has a lot to offer and it’s growing and developing constantly.
Old 11th August 2020
  #289
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
As someone who’s a self confessed midi minimalist - what is so bad about PT’s midi? The sustain data is a pain (multiple playlists but only one controller lane), but apart from that...any automation needed you can do with PT automation, editing is easy enough...what am I missing out on? I’ve genuinely never had an issue with not being able to achieve what I needed to.
If you are a MIDI minimalist, then I guess Pro Tools is fine. But try using Ableton Live’s MIDI for a week and then going back. Not even in the same league! It’s so powerful. And when you get into Max for Live, it’s a whole other world of possibilities.

Ableton takes modern producing to a place Pro Tools just can’t compete with currently—in regards to midi.

I think an Atari ST1040 with Cubase is more advanced than Pro Tools. But if you are simply recording MIDI notes and sustain pedal data, sure, it works.
Old 11th August 2020
  #290
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Just reading your banter. I have to say that mixing on my HDX rig is so smooth and effortless. All of my main workhorse plugins are AAX DSP. I never have to worry about limitations with plugins or freezing. Everything is snappy and my cpu always has plenty of headroom to spare—when I need native plugins. When I open the same mix session on Pro Tools native, it’s not as great of an experience. Everything is sluggish and the playback error codes start popping up.

With HDX, I can clearly get as detailed on a mix as I need to be without worrying about CPU spikes. It’s not for everyone, but I’m a firm believe in DSP assisted DAWs. It’s a whole different game in my opinion.

But I see your point with how powerful the latest computers are these days, these things are becoming less of an issue. But imo, there is a great security of running an HDX system. It’s worked so well for so many years and keeps on ticking. My computer is average. It’s fast but not crazy. I could care less about upgrading, and I don’t feel limited while working.

And yes, you are absolutely correct. PT MIDI is the worst. As basic as it gets. Hello Ableton!

I think @ audioloud is inferring that Native plugins work great with other DAW's but not (necessarily) with PT.

That's why he said this (see quote below) in his last sentence to which I tend to agree.

HDX is a whole other world but not everyone wants to drop that kind of $$$ on an HDX system and it especially doesn't make sense if you don't mix in PT.


Quote:
"from my experience comparing two similar-ish systems ) that PT actually uses native resources worse than other DAWS."
Old 12th August 2020
  #291
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
HDX makes complete sense if you are tracking. As a matter of fact, I don't know of one big studio for tracking that doesn't use HDX. And for the midi, I guess I must be a minimalist.... PT midi seems fine for me. Does everything I need it to do, although there may be faster / better systems out there. The production aspects of PTHDX after I get the midi digitized more than makes up for things.
Old 12th August 2020
  #292
Here for the gear
 

I have and used Live and Logic, then I tried Pro Tools and didn’t look back - and I’m a heavy user of MIDI and VIs... but as a keyboard/piano player, I don’t create/write in MIDI, I play live and then edit, add CC, automation, etc.

Maybe for someone creating every note in the piano roll other DAWs could have some helpful tools, but for me I never found PT’s MIDI implementation limiting.

On the contrary, the whole workflow is super intuitive and it just gets out of your way...

I guess my point is to use whatever works for you, i.e. what is not “acceptable” for some could be more than good enough for others.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
If you are a MIDI minimalist, then I guess Pro Tools is fine. But try using Ableton Live’s MIDI for a week and then going back. Not even in the same league! It’s so powerful. And when you get into Max for Live, it’s a whole other world of possibilities.

Ableton takes modern producing to a place Pro Tools just can’t compete with currently—in regards to midi.

I think an Atari ST1040 with Cubase is more advanced than Pro Tools. But if you are simply recording MIDI notes and sustain pedal data, sure, it works.
Old 12th August 2020
  #293
Lives for gear
 
uptheoctave's Avatar
I'm in both camps.
I use HDX for tracking and mixing.
I use Logic, Studio One, Nuendo, Ableton Live or *anything else other than Pro Tools* to do programming.
Logic is preferred.

Pro Tools midi is clunky- there is no getting around it.
Logic has a whole lot of stuff available that Pro Tools simply doesn't have- the environment is extremely powerful.
Plus, I am used to it.
If you just need midi note data to go in then PT is potentially fine.

I've recently upgraded to an MTRX and have my native interface (Focusrite Red 16 Line) sharing inputs from my outboard preamps with the MTRX and sending its audio outputs up to the MTRX to go to the monitors.

I document how I've done this here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-to-avid-mtrx
Old 12th August 2020
  #294
Cubase.

Tom.
Old 12th August 2020
  #295
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Aside from stuff like pyramix, I don't think there's a proper low latency, band-capable tracking competition. UAD is fine for overdubs, but cue mixer software is an added complication.

That's not to say I don't think the cost differential means the workaround is insurmountable; only that it IS a work-around.






Yeah, I agree. LUNA is UAD's best approach, but it's back to the days of PT LE - can only make it work with a UAD interface, so however good it is the market is limited. Shame they don't open it up to be able to work with other interfaces for mixing at least. With a compatible interface it's the only thing that appears to be as well integrated - but not everyone wants a UAD interface.
RME interfaces are just as capable with TotalMix. Lynx over thunderbolt is phenomenal too but the Aurora N is limited to 32 channels. It’s all about the hardware more than the DAW and those have capable onboard digital mixers.

MOTU’s AVB implementation, which I use, doesn’t compensate the latency from the additional interfaces hooked up over ethernet and the usb isn’t deterministic (unlike RME on Windows) for hardware inserts. It’s great for tracking but I don’t trust it for mixing with hardware inserts outside of master bus.
Old 12th August 2020
  #296
Gear Maniac
 
TikkoRome's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen View Post
The main reason I use Protools in our 6 studios is for the automation. The fact that they successfully implemented the SSL mixing years ago with their own controllers with trim / preview / auto match / Vcas etc.. just makes for a better mixing experience. The only other option was Nuendo but their surfaces are pricey too. Avid sucks as a company but their HW and their MTRX work well. Also our systems never crash on Macs. Our studios go from stereo to 7.1 and its easy to adapt the IO when moving sessions around.
Satellite link with video reference is also a big benefit when working for film running a master and a slave. I would love to have a better option but for post production and mixing I haven’t found anything else.
For making music we use Live and Bitwig, one for max and Push , one for the grid and mpe and the fact that they lock together.
Why would you need to have a Nuendo-specific control surface? What isn't Nuendo compatible with. One of the key selling points for me has always been that Steinberg is built to be compatible with everything which Pro-Tools' has a dark history in that department.
Old 13th August 2020
  #297
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Mega Therion View Post
RME interfaces are just as capable with TotalMix. Lynx over thunderbolt is phenomenal too but the Aurora N is limited to 32 channels. It’s all about the hardware more than the DAW and those have capable onboard digital mixers.

MOTU’s AVB implementation, which I use, doesn’t compensate the latency from the additional interfaces hooked up over ethernet and the usb isn’t deterministic (unlike RME on Windows) for hardware inserts. It’s great for tracking but I don’t trust it for mixing with hardware inserts outside of master bus.
As soon as you need to add a 2nd mixer for low latency performance, it’s an inferior workflow and extra complexity. For small sessions this doesn’t matter - for larger sessions it does.
Old 13th August 2020
  #298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
If you are a MIDI minimalist, then I guess Pro Tools is fine. But try using Ableton Live’s MIDI for a week and then going back. Not even in the same league! It’s so powerful. And when you get into Max for Live, it’s a whole other world of possibilities.

Ableton takes modern producing to a place Pro Tools just can’t compete with currently—in regards to midi.

I think an Atari ST1040 with Cubase is more advanced than Pro Tools. But if you are simply recording MIDI notes and sustain pedal data, sure, it works.
So - what is this extra stuff then? It can’t be automation - with PT you can automate every element of a soft synth via the PT automation system, with a controller if necessary.

Editing - I really don’t have a problems accessing or editing data in PT. I know logic well enough to know some of what the environment can do - eg patching in arpeggiators, midi plugins and so on - but in the current world of soft synths, I’ve rarely found that necessary - if ever. So what is Live (Ableton is the company not the software!) offering? Again, I’m familiar enough with it that I know the basics, but clearly not enough to know what I’m missing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari70 View Post
I have and used Live and Logic, then I tried Pro Tools and didn’t look back - and I’m a heavy user of MIDI and VIs... but as a keyboard/piano player, I don’t create/write in MIDI, I play live and then edit, add CC, automation, etc.

Maybe for someone creating every note in the piano roll other DAWs could have some helpful tools, but for me I never found PT’s MIDI implementation limiting.

On the contrary, the whole workflow is super intuitive and it just gets out of your way...

I guess my point is to use whatever works for you, i.e. what is not “acceptable” for some could be more than good enough for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
HDX makes complete sense if you are tracking. As a matter of fact, I don't know of one big studio for tracking that doesn't use HDX. And for the midi, I guess I must be a minimalist.... PT midi seems fine for me. Does everything I need it to do, although there may be faster / better systems out there. The production aspects of PTHDX after I get the midi digitized more than makes up for things.
Exactly - to both these points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I'm in both camps.
I use HDX for tracking and mixing.
I use Logic, Studio One, Nuendo, Ableton Live or *anything else other than Pro Tools* to do programming.
Logic is preferred.

Pro Tools midi is clunky- there is no getting around it.
Logic has a whole lot of stuff available that Pro Tools simply doesn't have- the environment is extremely powerful.
Plus, I am used to it.
If you just need midi note data to go in then PT is potentially fine.

I've recently upgraded to an MTRX and have my native interface (Focusrite Red 16 Line) sharing inputs from my outboard preamps with the MTRX and sending its audio outputs up to the MTRX to go to the monitors.

I document how I've done this here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-to-avid-mtrx
So what is Logic adding that PT can’t do? Again - I’m vaguely familiar with the environment, but actual logic editing is pretty much on par with PT for me.
Old 13th August 2020
  #299
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So what is Logic adding that PT can’t do?
I've used PT exclusively for midi for over 10 years now. And I keep hearing this about Cubase, Logic, Reaper, etc.. But all I ever hear is that PT is deficient. I never hear about what's better in the other versions.

One thing I DID miss after leaving Digital Performer was the track folders, but I guess PT has that now in 2020? I'm still on 2019, but I should upgrade cause that was one SUPER useful feature in DP.
Old 13th August 2020
  #300
Lives for gear
 
uptheoctave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
So what is Logic adding that PT can’t do? Again - I’m vaguely familiar with the environment, but actual logic editing is pretty much on par with PT for me.
Here are some midi tools that you would struggle to replicate in Pro Tools:



I use these a lot.
The environment I use for a whole lot of midi-based non-deterministic events.
You can't do anything like that in Pro Tools- or at least I don't know how.
These are just two examples but there is other stuff too.

As I said, if you just want normal midi editing then PT is fine-ish.
I find it slow and clunky in comparison to Logic because I learned Logic first and I'm faster in it for that stuff.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4589 views: 577741
Avatar for stixstudios
stixstudios 20th May 2020
replies: 1943 views: 329381
Avatar for Will The Weirdo
Will The Weirdo 1st August 2015
replies: 83 views: 14660
Avatar for Highphi
Highphi 19th July 2013
replies: 96 views: 7125
Avatar for juiseman
juiseman 6 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump