The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sony c800g still at 24k on reverb.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut

sony c800g still at 24k on reverb.

Is this the new price for this mic on even a used one?

These things were 10k new less than 2 months ago 24k for any mic is insane especially used.
Old 9th July 2020
It's going to take a lot of downloads to pay that one off.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

There's one on eBay right now for 20,000. That's ridiculous, lol
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear
I think it's funny because I smoke weed next to mine and dont care, are you saying I should take care of it more? lol. I did get a vovox cable for it this week and it sounds even better.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

pretty sure the mic will get sold in the not too distant future...

...which is insane 'cause no one in the world can tell from listening to a full mix any of the instruments or gear which was used for tracking, mixing and mastering!

(too) many rich kids out there...
Old 9th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...which is insane 'cause no one in the world can tell from listening to a full mix any of the instruments or gear which was used for tracking, mixing and mastering!
And not many people can really tell if the cheese used in a dish was from Wyke Farms($200 a pound) or Rogue River Blue($45 a pound). All they care is that dish is delicious. Its not there job to know.

Do you think the Chef who makes the dish cares and thinks its worth it to get the cheese from Wyke Farms? Heck cheese is cheese right? Of course he does because he can tell the difference and for him to make the dish he wants to do the Wyke Farms cheese is a big part of it.

Same goes for the tools we use in music productions. Yeah at times they seem expensive to some, but compare that to the machines for example a Dentists needs to do his work:
https://www.dentalplanet.com/shop

And the gear doesn't seem as much.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
And not many people can really tell if the cheese used in a dish was from Wyke Farms($200 a pound) or Rogue River Blue($45 a pound). All they care is that dish is delicious. Its not there job to know.

Do you think the Chef who makes the dish cares and thinks its worth it to get the cheese from Wyke Farms? Heck cheese is cheese right? Of course he does because he can tell the difference and for him to make the dish he wants to do the Wyke Farms cheese is a big part of it.

Same goes for the tools we use in music productions. Yeah at times they seem expensive to some, but compare that to the machines for example a Dentists needs to do his work:
https://www.dentalplanet.com/shop

And the gear doesn't seem as much.
a more adequate analogy imo would be generic drugs: they do the trick for much less money!
Old 9th July 2020
Quote:
a more adequate analogy imo would be generic drugs: they do the trick for much less money!
But mics are different as they are the first thing that your audio sees and it affects every choice you make down the line.

And we all know from experience...the less you do the audio down the line, the more true, the better the result in the end when you add a whole bunch of sounds together.

Instead of drugs, how about an education? The best education in the world costs a lot of money and brings with it lots of advantages apart from the education itself. And the chances of having a nicer career goes up a ton if you make the right connections along the way just based on where you went.

An sure i can go to a lesser school and get an excellent education, but the work i will have to do afterwards to try to have the same career as the other will add up at the end.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear
I think how I see it is this, and I repeat myself on here.

If you're spending 20k on a microphone because you'll make 100k on it, then it's worth it. if you're buying it for your vanity project that no one will stream, then no, use something else. I always gauge things as spending and if I can make money off of it, hence why i dont drive a 100k car, waste of money.
Old 10th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
If you're spending 20k on a microphone because you'll make 100k on it, then it's worth it. if you're buying it for your vanity project that no one will stream, then no, use something else.
How about the guy who has that kind of scratch lying around and just wants it because he/she wants it.

Some people just like nice things and have positioned themselves in life to be able to obtain those things when ever they feel like it.

Now that might not be anyone here, but the kind of buyer the seller is looking to sell to does exist. And when it sells it will set the new price point for the mic used. That's just free market capitalism at its best or worst.

20 years ago i heard the same thing about the prices of U47's, Tele 251's, Fairchild's and such. Everyone who couldn't afford it complained that the asking prices were too high for what they were and they could use 10 lesser mics or its equivalent and get similar results.

And guess what's transpired over 20 years later? That gear has doubled or in some cases tripled in the asking price which was astronomical even then. Now its even farther from the reach of "lesser mortals".
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

sony needs to make more c800g's. all the r&d, tooling, testing/certification, product awareness, sales channels have been done. it's like printing money for them.

if sony simply can't be bothered, ship the manufacturing equipment to the united states. josephson can make the capsules, and manley labs can handle the rest.
Old 10th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
sony needs to make more c800g's. all the r&d, tooling, testing/certification, product awareness, sales channels have been done. it's like printing money for them.

if sony simply can't be bothered, ship the manufacturing equipment to the united states. josephson can make the capsules, and manley labs can handle the rest.
But why?

Sony isn't Neumann or AKG.

They are an electronics conglomerate and the main job of this conglomerate is to meet the quotas for their stock holders.

They've always discontinued their hi end music products in the middle of their run. Want to ask the studios who invested in the Sony Oxford Digital Console what they think about Sony products?

How about those that invested hundreds of thousands in the expensive boat anchors, the 3348 and 3324 digital multitracks?

How about those that purchased the Sony DRES-777 reverb? Need parts? Support? Good luck.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
But mics are different as they are the first thing that your audio sees and it affects every choice you make down the line.

And we all know from experience...the less you do the audio down the line, the more true, the better the result in the end when you add a whole bunch of sounds together.

Instead of drugs, how about an education? The best education in the world costs a lot of money and brings with it lots of advantages apart from the education itself. And the chances of having a nicer career goes up a ton if you make the right connections along the way just based on where you went.

An sure i can go to a lesser school and get an excellent education, but the work i will have to do afterwards to try to have the same career as the other will add up at the end.
the thing is though that a ridiculous price doesn't make a piece of gear any better!

in the case of the sony, even the regular price to me seems highly exaggerated - on those occasions i rented two of these mics (made within a decade, both well maintained and very close in performance), they came out as a second or third choice and hence never made it onto a recording!

could well be that other folks have made a vastly different experience...

p.s. my sony baby-oxford and sampling reverb are still working without any issues!
Old 10th July 2020
Quote:
the thing is though that a ridiculous price doesn't make a piece of gear any better!
But it does if there is a vocalist on your record label that is temperamental and never happy with their sound and that mic just happens to deliver the sound that brings them the confidence needed.

There are some vocalists that wouldn't want to sing through anything else and purchased them. They would bring( 1 or sometimes 2 believe it or not) to their sessions to be specifically tracked though it.

Luther Vandross for years sang only through a 414 and it was the C800G that he finally switched to as it gave him a better representation of his true voice. And he could have any mic he wanted.

Quote:
in the case of the sony, even the regular price to me seems highly exaggerated - on those occasions i rented two of these mics (made within a decade, both well maintained and very close in performance), they came out as a second or third choice and hence never made it onto a recording!

could well be that other folks have made a vastly different experience...
Again what something costs is not really relevant, especially if it delivers.

When i did sessions at Sony Studios it was normal for artists on the Sony label to get one and be seen recording with them.This was everyone from rappers, singers, opera types, musical theatre, etc. We all knew that. Some artists sold them for extra cash and others kept them and still record with them to this day. And even back then they were considered expensive.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
But it does if there is a vocalist on your record label that is temperamental and never happy with their sound and that mic just happens to deliver the sound that brings them the confidence needed.

There are some vocalists that wouldn't want to sing through anything else and purchased them. They would bring( 1 or sometimes 2 believe it or not) to their sessions to be specifically tracked though it.

Luther Vandross for years sang only through a 414 and it was the C800G that he finally switched to as it gave him a better representation of his true voice. And he could have any mic he wanted.

Again what something costs is not really relevant, especially if it delivers.

When i did sessions at Sony Studios it was normal for artists on the Sony label to get one and be seen recording with them.This was everyone from rappers, singers, opera types, musical theatre, etc. We all knew that. Some artists sold them for extra cash and others kept them and still record with them to this day. And even back then they were considered expensive.
That's why I keep using it, I'm a Sony artist.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Reverb transaction history:

6/21/2020 Very Good $12,970.80
6/19/2020 Very Good $10,612.47
6/19/2020 Excellent $20,400 - some A-lister prob did a mic drop after some awesome joke with a wrong mic... too close to deadline
6/17/2020 Very Good $12,000
6/5/2020 Mint $13,200
6/4/2020 Very Good $7,900
5/22/2020 Very Good $10,700
5/14/2020 Mint $12,500
5/14/2020 Very Good $12,200
5/7/2020 Excellent $8,500
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

we seem to have a vastly different view on the importance of specific gear...

imo there simply is no such piece of über-gear that cannot get replaced (although many folks want to make us believe the opposite), not least due to the fact that there is always taste and context/circumstances which heavily affect our choices:

i get to work with an almost blind producer regularly - it's not that he's free of prejustice but sometimes it's very refreshing to experience that he doesn't give anything about manufacturers and specific models, approaches, techniques or workflow - all that matters to him is what he gets to hear: as you have guessed, some highly praised gear doesn't always gets his placet! let me tell you that the sony mic has been amongst the gear he dissed several times...

besides, i can't help but feeling that asking/paying 20k+ for a mic (it's but a mic!) is not only stupid but amoral...
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

besides, i can't help but feeling that asking/paying 20k+ for a mic (it's but a mic!) is not only stupid but amoral...
Nothing stupid or amoral.

It's still more useful than, say, a diamond.

As long as there's someone out there willing to pay a price, it's your obligation as a person to milk a buyer. It would be dumb to sell it for $5000 like some fools did before, and then realize you could've made $15,000 more. Now THAT would make me feel the dumbest person on Earth!

It's not really a necessity like a medicine, nobody will die if you sell it to the highest bidder, it's a luxury item that will be bought by someone filthy rich. So morals have nothing to do with any of it. Simple economics.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
(...) Simple economics.
i rather call it market failure..

...which imo has a lot to do with stupid and amoral behaviour - nevermind, i made my point, i've read some other opinions...

'love and peace' (ringo turned 80 a few days ago)!
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
i rather call it market failure..

...which imo has a lot to do with stupid and amoral behaviour - nevermind, i made my point, i've read some other opinions...

'love and peace' (ringo turned 80 a few days ago)!
Yes, he did! And his birthday cake was decorated with 80 C800Gs. Then they were set on fire and Ringo made a wish...

/weird dream sequence
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Nut

I am not knocking the sony at all. Amazing mic. Just pointing out the price of it used right now and what is been new in February and January.

There is no justifying for the sony to be 20,000 used. It literally makes no sense. Has sony said they are not making anymore? if not this is a shining light on how our community has a lot of privileged (inherently?) wealthy irresponsible consumers if people are still buying this mic at 24k.

Go ahead and give me a reason how a used version of the mic can shoot up 10k more than a new version of the mic in less than 2 months when sony is still manufacturing it.

If intentional then it's almost as if when the regular joe starts getting to close to the rich they purposely drive the market value to the sky out of spite. That is a convo for another day though.

Situations like this if intentional is why the empathy of the less fortunate for the rich is crumbling before our eyes. Soon they will be spending 20k on security not mics...

Music is one of the few gateways left for the rags-to-riches story. One can even argue it is the only sense of hope that has halted the country from total abandonment of the failed system entirely.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Do you think the Chef who makes the dish cares and thinks its worth it to get the cheese from Wyke Farms?
Well, two factors: one is a cheddar and one is a blue. So kind of a dumb comparison (not to mention, not even a great cheddar but it is the price placed on it by the seller.) Even the worst blue isn't going to taste like a cheddar and vice versa (not to mention the best cheddar doesn't even come from England anymore )
And of course the Chef cares -- he/she has to charge for the dish in order to cover the cost of that stupid useless cheese. Sometimes to cater to the "costs more, quality must be better" crowd.
What a dumb analogy.
(And yes, I have friends who are two and three star Michelin chefs and I've sat there drinking with them while they order in product for the next day's meals; what I'm saying is pretty common)
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post

It's still more useful than, say, a diamond.

As long as there's someone out there willing to pay a price, it's your obligation as a person to milk a buyer. It would be dumb to sell it for $5000 like some fools did before, and then realize you could've made $15,000 more. Now THAT would make me feel the dumbest person on Earth!

It's not really a necessity like a medicine, nobody will die if you sell it to the highest bidder, it's a luxury item that will be bought by someone filthy rich. So morals have nothing to do with any of it. Simple economics.
De Beers Diamond Trading Company controlled the vast majority of the diamond supply. They collected around 80-90% of the diamonds that were dug up in a given year, but instead of selling them all out on the open market they put them in storage because by keeping their diamonds in storage and only allowing a certain amount of diamonds hit the open market, they limited the quantity supplied out to the open market, inflating the price of the diamonds. For a long time De Beers executives couldn't come to the US because they would be arrested for violating anti-monopoly laws.

At this point De Beers doesn't control as much as they used to, but diamonds are still expensive because the price is what we expect diamonds to be. Diamonds have always have been expensive.

The c800g is a tool. We can open up a sony and literally see how much it would cost to make this mic. It doesn't cost 24k that is for sure, sony didn't think so either which is why it was 10k new.
Old 10th July 2020
Lives for gear

It's an outstanding mic if the source fits.
But... as an owner of a Sony C800G I'd say it's just not worth it. Probably not even the half of that price!

The iT U87 retro fit is the "better" mic IMO, works on way more sources, especially on vocals!
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
It's an outstanding mic if the source fits.
But... as an owner of a Sony C800G I'd say it's just not worth it. Probably not even the half of that price!

The iT U87 retro fit is the "better" mic IMO, works on way more sources, especially on vocals!
If I can find the kit. Hard to find these days.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammmoxo View Post
If I can find the kit. Hard to find these days.
You can order it directly from Stayne at innerTube Audio! He's a great dude!!!

See here...
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
De Beers Diamond Trading Company controlled the vast majority of the diamond supply. They collected around 80-90% of the diamonds that were dug up in a given year, but instead of selling them all out on the open market they put them in storage because by keeping their diamonds in storage and only allowing a certain amount of diamonds hit the open market, they limited the quantity supplied out to the open market, inflating the price of the diamonds. For a long time De Beers executives couldn't come to the US because they would be arrested for violating anti-monopoly laws.

At this point De Beers doesn't control as much as they used to, but diamonds are still expensive because the price is what we expect diamonds to be. Diamonds have always have been expensive.

The c800g is a tool. We can open up a sony and literally see how much it would cost to make this mic. It doesn't cost 24k that is for sure, sony didn't think so either which is why it was 10k new.
It wasn't even 10K new. I imagine dealers upped the price of mics left in stock once they knew Sony would/had ceased manufacturing them.
They were less than $5K new in Japan when I checked a few years back.
And the last one I saw on the second hand market over here went for roughly $6K in May. Prices for these mics in the US is a joke right now.
Old 11th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I am not knocking the sony at all. Amazing mic. Just pointing out the price of it used right now and what is been new in February and January.

There is no justifying for the sony to be 20,000 used. It literally makes no sense. Has sony said they are not making anymore? if not this is a shining light on how our community has a lot of privileged (inherently?) wealthy irresponsible consumers if people are still buying this mic at 24k.

Go ahead and give me a reason how a used version of the mic can shoot up 10k more than a new version of the mic in less than 2 months when sony is still manufacturing it.

If intentional then it's almost as if when the regular joe starts getting to close to the rich they purposely drive the market value to the sky out of spite. That is a convo for another day though.

Situations like this if intentional is why the empathy of the less fortunate for the rich is crumbling before our eyes. Soon they will be spending 20k on security not mics...

Music is one of the few gateways left for the rags-to-riches story. One can even argue it is the only sense of hope that has halted the country from total abandonment of the failed system entirely.
Sony discontinued the C800G a ways back. They are no longer available new. Got mine for $5k years ago before internet romanticism blew up the price
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
It wasn't even 10K new. I imagine dealers upped the price of mics left in stock once they knew Sony would/had ceased manufacturing them.
They were less than $5K new in Japan when I checked a few years back.
And the last one I saw on the second hand market over here went for roughly $6K in May. Prices for these mics in the US is a joke right now.
Not just for Sony. For all mics. Just check ebay, everything is at least 1.5-2x priciers than it was last year. Mics have become a hot commodity like gold, seems like. Don't buy real estate, buy mics.
Old 12th July 2020
Quote:
But why?

Sony isn't Neumann or AKG.

They are an electronics conglomerate and the main job of this conglomerate is to meet the quotas for their stock holders.

They've always discontinued their hi end music products in the middle of their run. Want to ask the studios who invested in the Sony Oxford Digital Console what they think about Sony products?

How about those that invested hundreds of thousands in the expensive boat anchors, the 3348 and 3324 digital multitracks?

How about those that purchased the Sony DRES-777 reverb? Need parts? Support? Good luck.
Sony is a multifaceted company. Not just electronics - You’ve got Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Sony Publishing, as well as PlayStation (which is its own division separate to electronics). I’m not sure if the professional division is part of electronics or if they report direct, but it still exists - and still makes mics, including the c800g (there’s been threads in this before).
📝 Reply