The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Michael Brauer has gone ITB!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Michael Brauer has gone ITB!!!

Quote:
YouTube

The Michael Brauer Collection. An exclusive collection of rare, vintage, and one-off equipment from the famed “Brauerizing-Racks” used to mix some of the sem...
Just saw this post on Instagram! If it's not new to some of you, it's new to me! Just figured I'd share it for those interested!!

Cheers!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

so like most of us, he has downscaled....and did so a long time ago....
That is not a signal that ITB is BETTER - its a signal that the guy is retiring from commercial NEED - same as G Mass...

YEARS of mental mapping signals gives you the ability to use LESS - also like most in the industry he has a few youngers doing most the grunt work these days - that is not to disparage .....just an industry reality........80% of any music released with " Hanz Zimmer" on the front - has never even been eyeballed by the guy.

Mr B can afford to let go of gear because he knows what REAL gear does to a signal and mental maps from that point...........think of it as rally driving - you learn the engine....you learn the weight....you learn different tiers.....you learn your co driver.........you **** up A LOT........then you don't.......then and ONLY then do you you enter an UNKNOWN track / course......

comparing otherwise is like a first timer hitting the 3rd corner at 90 and then asking ..." why didn't i make the corner"
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Michael Brauer has gone ITB!!!-screen-shot-2020-07-08-9.39.50-pm.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I predicted when he gave up his SSL that next he would go ITB.

Obvious next step, it's the current direction of travel.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
That is not a signal that ITB is BETTER - its a signal that the guy is retiring from commercial NEED - same as G Mass...

YEARS of mental mapping signals gives you the ability to use LESS - also like most in the industry he has a few youngers doing most the grunt work these days - that is not to disparage .....just an industry reality........80% of any music released with " Hanz Zimmer" on the front - has never even been eyeballed by the guy.

Mr B can afford to let go of gear because he knows what REAL gear does to a signal and mental maps from that point...........think of it as rally driving - you learn the engine....you learn the weight....you learn different tiers.....you learn your co driver.........you **** up A LOT........then you don't.......then and ONLY then do you you enter an UNKNOWN track / course......

comparing otherwise is like a first timer hitting the 3rd corner at 90 and then asking ..." why didn't i make the corner"
Rock just isn't the dominant selling genre it used to be. Hasn't been for a long time now.

In the early days of Gearslutz, coming out of the 90's when rock was still relevant commercially, the need for the "Noahs ark" type of analog processing setup was the dream for every mixer. Shaping live tracking into something commercial sounding time after time was both a challenge and a badge of honor.

Now 20 years later, what sells commercially and its demands are much different. The way artists produce their music and not to mention how the budgets that existed then have evaporated, has ushered a different era in terms of how to deliver commercial product. But this has happened through out the era of recorded music. One either adapts or dies.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What ever works for him. I went the opposite direction and went OTB and I don't think I will ever go back to ITB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

He stated he ISN'T compromising in sound, that he wouldn't even consider the transition otherwise. I'll take his word for it and now be mixing ITB all the more confidently
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
He stated he ISN'T compromising in sound, that he wouldn't even consider the transition otherwise. I'll take his word for it and now be mixing ITB all the more confidently
Back in the day he basically went from mixing on a Class A Neve console to mixing on SSL's and mastered it.

And for a lot of guys back then going from a Neve to an SSL was considered a let down. It may be hard for some to believe, but the slogan guys used to say back in the early days of SSL was that mixing on an SSL just stressed what the letters stood for "So So Lame".

So if anyone can adjust and succeed is him.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rock just isn't the dominant selling genre it used to be. Hasn't been for a long time now.

In the early days of Gearslutz, coming out of the 90's when rock was still relevant commercially, the need for the "Noahs ark" type of analog processing setup was the dream for every mixer. Shaping live tracking into something commercial sounding time after time was both a challenge and a badge of honor.

Now 20 years later, what sells commercially and its demands are much different. The way artists produce their music and not to mention how the budgets that existed then have evaporated, has ushered a different era in terms of how to deliver commercial product. But this has happened through out the era of recorded music. One either adapts or dies.
agreed - I ended up selling 75% of my hardware last year..... i made 5k from the patch bays alone
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

sold the 87s and m50s...kept a single 49 and Fet 47...and a pair of mk4s...

really haven't needed much else - and if i do now i just book it

my insurance premium has gone down a HUGE amount as well !!;-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

I understand completely!! This post wasn’t to suggest that ITB was necessarily better. I just found it interesting considering that he’s one of those guys that was hardcore about analog! In all honesty, I’ve been considering grabbing a desk for my room recently! Even had a conversation with my dealer and he suggested that I just grab certain outboard pieces and stay on the hybrid path! But like I and Brauer and many others have said, It’s about the person pushing the buttons more than anything!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
agreed - I ended up selling 75% of my hardware last year..... i made 5k from the patch bays alone
Over the years I simplified everything to basically and ITB setup when recalls are most important and an analog one where sound is first( basically my own productions) and some kind of recall is second.
The analog basically mirrors the main plugs i use ITB for mixing. Also almost all the analog gear is stepped except for a few pieces, so basically take a pic and click the knobs. What i don't do alot is insert the analog stuff into the ITB mixes. It just takes too long to print the tracks and the main reason for ITB only stuff is to go back and forth between producers and they don't have the outboard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's all about efficient workflow and achieving what you need and what your client need. Hats off to Brauer!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Back in the day he basically went from mixing on a Class A Neve console to mixing on SSL's and mastered it.

And for a lot of guys back then going from a Neve to an SSL was considered a let down. It may be hard for some to believe, but the slogan guys used to say back in the early days of SSL was that mixing on an SSL just stressed what the letters stood for "So So Lame".

So if anyone can adjust and succeed is him.
Plug-ins are also getting better I'd like to think. He did mention in a recent MWTM webinar some new plugins he preferred using and a lot of them were very new plugins. I'm sure audio software developers getting better is contributing somewhat to this transition. Of course, being ITB myself I want that to be the case so I'm bias. In his case however, owning all the great analog gear already, and finding ITB isn't a compromise and embracing it, says a lot IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was working in a studio last year there was a young producer (successful and nameless here) - he called outboard gear "typewriters"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

He still has an analogue summing chain.

But agreed he’ll own anything thrown at him!

Wiggy
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
What ever works for him. I went the opposite direction and went OTB and I don't think I will ever go back to ITB.
Yes, for me it's an irony.

When I worked professionally I moved ITB for recall, speed, cost, space.

Now I'm retired from all that and I make music as an "artist" purely for the passion, pleasure and maximum sonic experience.

I'm heading back OTB (especially stereo bus processing)

When I fully retire from the city and have the space I'll get an analogue desk again too.

This isn't a new concept, commercial enterprise often chooses different tools to the cottage industry artisan.

If I soley mixed for a living these days I'd also mix ITB, it just makes commercial sense, especially given today's limited budgets.

Fortunately, those days are behind me and I'm loving a return to a more analogue approach to my music making.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

30 years ago Sony issued yearly a domestic catalog of all its audio products and was distributed for free on hifi and regular shops. It was VERY thick: walkmans, boomboxes, stereos, radios, modular systems, early 1bit SACD CDs, etc.

All that is now GONE. Look around how music is consumed: on cellphones, with speakers the size of half a fingernail. Some youngsters also use (terrible) earphones or cheap bluetooth speakers. But most of all, it's all Youtube streaming: If there is no VIDEO, teens DON'T CARE. Music is a wall paper for video, background for user-made TikTok videos, walla for videogames, etc
Adults are not much different either: Leisure time is filled with TV 100% of the time. Then they might only say "ALEXA play some Queen songs" while cooking or entertaining someone.

Which means nobody cares about audio anymore (or audio quality).

On the other hand, digital has improved to the point it has finally reached what analog could offer. It was a matter or time. From early 2 tracks, to 3348, to RADAR, to DAWs; from tubes, to transistors, to ICs, to digital processing.

Ever since the Capricorn and the OXFORD, I predicted that in 20 years there would only be TRANSDUCERS (mics and speakers) and AMPLIFIERS (preamps and power amps) and that everything else audio related in the signal chain would be digital, after or before A/D/As.
Of course everyone laughed at me here.

Well, pay me some respect now

Some other day I'll talk about how you can replace an 80-90s $3M+ HDVS video editing suite, along with a Quantel Harry graphics and three operators, with just a MacbookPro sitting on your sofa, only that you can do everything in realtime now, and in 4K (4 times more resolution).

Last edited by jindrich; 4 weeks ago at 11:12 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BTW, if you think a Fairchild is worth something, take it to an A-list dubbing theater (where Blockbuster Hollywood films are mixed). You'll be politely told to leave that trash out the door.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great, a race to the bottom.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I sold off all of my HW in the last two years and went totally ITB. I don't miss anything at all and prefer working ITB. I can concentrate on important things more, mix faster and more efficiently and do more work in the same time or spend more time for other things in life.

I consider ITB solutions a blessing and not a downgrade in any single way. Also these days new artists I am working with don't care whether you are recording using U47s, U87, Neve preamps or anything. They only care about the end product. Being able to edit quickly, do automation on the fly, transform and shape sounds recorded with iPhones is a great thing and I wouldn't want to go back.

During Covid lockdown in March I received so many songs to mix where lead vocals and acoustic guitars were recorded with smartphones...and to tell you the truth. If the singer was great and performance was great, everything was perfectly fine. Drooling over gear is a thing of the past...one needs to be creative and know what it strives for. You can achieve much more with modern digital tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'll take any piece in a heartbeat but I just blew all my cash on acoustics.

I have the need, the need for twisting physical knobs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
30 years ago Sony issued yearly a domestic catalog of all its audio products and was distributed for free on hifi and regular shops. It was VERY thick: walkmans, boomboxes, stereos, radios, modular systems, early 1bit SACD CDs, etc.

All that is now GONE. Look around how music is consumed: on cellphones, with speakers the size of half a fingernail. Some youngsters also use (terrible) earphones or cheap bluetooth speakers. But most of all, it's all Youtube streaming: If there is no VIDEO, teens DON'T CARE. Music is a wall paper for video, background for user-made TikTok videos, walla for videogames, etc
Adults are not much different either: Leisure time is filled with TV 100% of the time. Then they might only say "ALEXA play some Queen songs" while cooking or entertaining someone.

Which means nobody cares about audio anymore (or audio quality).

On the other hand, digital has improved to the point it has finally reached what analog could offer. It was a matter or time. From early 2 tracks, to 3348, to RADAR, to DAWs; from tubes, to transistors, to ICs, to digital processing.

Ever since the Capricorn and the OXFORD, I predicted that in 20 years there would only be TRANSDUCERS (mics and speakers) and AMPLIFIERS (preamps and power amps) and that everything else audio related in the signal chain would be digital, after or before A/D/As.
Of course everyone laughed at me here.

Well, pay me some respect now

Some other day I'll talk about how you can replace an 80-90s $3M+ HDVS video editing suite, along with a Quantel Harry graphics and three operators, with just a MacbookPro sitting on your sofa, only that you can do everything in realtime now, and in 4K (4 times more resolution).
If you look at music magazines these days, the pro recording ones. Well they don't peak my interest anymore, all I see is plugin windows. Sometimes you have the one off gadget. No cool gear anymore man.

There is a guy in my area who recently started selling all his audio gear, inlcluding his SSL Axiom, La2a's, you name it. Not because he went ITB, no because he quit. And he doesn't want to play the ITB game. The turning point for him was when clients started showing up with Iphones telling him "put it on my phone". They don't even want a WAV, mp3 is fine.

The guy gave up on modern music and artists, found a wife in Asia and is moving in a year or two with only a backpack.

Can't blame him..

Last edited by Liquidaudio; 4 weeks ago at 11:42 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Gear doesn’t matter.

People matter.

People do work.

A studio is just a room full of gear without people
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yes nobody cares about audio anymore. When you see someone plugging in a turntable into a tiny portable speaker.. and music on a phone IS the reference these days.

We're doomed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yeah your right Mr. Brauer it’s better in that box. I’ll take those racks off you hands for $1 each!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I havent watched the full.video.

I very much appreciate this honest and heartily video and applaud him for being brave and going this step.

Sometimes it's too easy to play the same songs again and again when you are famous....

And it is surprising for me, too. He seemed like THE hardware guy...

Last edited by blaugruen7; 4 weeks ago at 02:09 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

to me what's way more estonishing than mr brauer's (or anyone else's) gear choice and everything which comes with it...

(c'mon folks: we've had this discussion 20 years ago and since then, plugins have become more and better)

...is that he's still hanging in there! bless him...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

100 analog boxes at estimated average resale value of $1200-1700 each = condominium in a remote beach town.

he, like most professionals in the song mixing business, is likely subject to client revisions/requests ("can you do an alt mix without the guitars?", "the label wants...", "i have a great idea..."). all-digital gives you instant 100% perfect reset.

maybe those two things put together influenced his decision.

Last edited by gearstudent; 4 weeks ago at 01:32 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear