The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Standards or Luck?
Old 1 week ago
Recording Standards or Luck?

From the first time I listened to this, I realized it was far superior in the mix, mastering and fidelity, compared to most anything out there. Why is that?
You tubes not going to do it any Justice what so ever, but has anyone thought the same and still to this day, how superior it really is? I thought their were "Some" standards until I listened to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_No_Angel_(album)
Old 1 week ago
This doesn’t really do much for me. Sounds like most mid-80’s productions.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
This doesn’t really do much for me. Sounds like most mid-80’s productions.
The YT version sucks, You'll have to hear the CD on a decent system, but its there,,, No BS. and in not mid-80’s production sound, it a dead on analog, the sound stage is what always set it apart and I'm a picky mfer when it comes to music.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Music hits us all in a different way. This one doesn't hit me as the best of Allman Brothers but it's a typical 80s sound as pointed out above. The key to the mix is Drums and that Voice. If you did a little deeper the rhythm guitars are a bit fizzy sounding i.e. L&R, the bass is almost non existent even on headphones but the production and timing of the parts is interesting enough to keep you engaged. The verse lyrics are not the best of Allman Bros either not serving the song until you come to the hook which is really good. The guitar solo is really weak and very pentatonic in an average way. I would say it rates a 6 out of 10 on the Allman Brothers scale vs States Burroughs Blues or Midnight Rider from a heart and soul perspective or Ramblin Man which was probably the most commercial sounding of their efforts. So just another opinion and perspective.

I have the last Gregg Allman album which was really good from a performance and song content perspective but that horrible echo and delay they put on everything was a bad choice to my ears. I think that's an example of mixing decisions that seemed good at the time but detracted from the performer.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Music hits us all in a different way. This one doesn't hit me as the best of Allman Brothers but it's a typical 80s sound as pointed out above. The key to the mix is Drums and that Voice. If you did a little deeper the rhythm guitars are a bit fizzy sounding i.e. L&R, the bass is almost non existent even on headphones but the production and timing of the parts is interesting enough to keep you engaged. The verse lyrics are not the best of Allman Bros either not serving the song until you come to the hook which is really good. The guitar solo is really weak and very pentatonic in an average way. I would say it rates a 6 out of 10 on the Allman Brothers scale vs States Burroughs Blues or Midnight Rider from a heart and soul perspective or Ramblin Man which was probably the most commercial sounding of their efforts. So just another opinion and perspective.

I have the last Gregg Allman album which was really good from a performance and song content perspective but that horrible echo and delay they put on everything was a bad choice to my ears. I think that's an example of mixing decisions that seemed good at the time but detracted from the performer.
Thanks for your perspective. Here's one, Who can not love this song?

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
The YT version sucks, You'll have to hear the CD on a decent system, but its there,,, No BS. and in not mid-80’s production sound, it a dead on analog, the sound stage is what always set it apart and I'm a picky mfer when it comes to music.
I' liked the song when it was out (released in '87) but heard it recently on my DirectTV music channels a few times. Its got a ton of hallmark 80s things happening, the keys, the reverb, the obvious strict adherence to the click, probably gated toms etc, etc. And that was listening through my TV.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I' liked the song when it was out (released in '87) but heard it recently on my DirectTV music channels a few times. Its got a ton of hallmark 80s things happening, the keys, the reverb, the obvious strict adherence to the click, probably gated toms etc, etc. And that was listening through my TV.
I havent listened to the CD for years. While my Wife was in the Hospital passing away (2004). Some C-suckers broke in to my place and studio and cleaned me out. I just remember that song stood out.

Ugly Kid Joe, had one that really stood out also. Guess I'm an 70's 80's 90's guy?

Side One:

"Neighbor" (Crane, Eichstadt) – 4:43
"Come Tomorrow" (Crane, Crockett, Eichstadt, Roger Lahr) – 4:54
"Panhandlin' Prince" (Crane, Eichstadt) – 5:41
"Busy Bee" (Fortman) – 4:08
"Don't Go" (Crane, Eric Phillips) – 4:30
"So Damn Cool" (Crane, Eichstadt) – 4:24

Side Two"

"Goddamn Devil" (Eichstadt) – 4:53
"Same Side" (Crane, Crockett, Eichstadt) – 4:48
"Cats in the Cradle" (Harry Chapin, Sandra Chapin) – 4:01
"I'll Keep Tryin'" (Eichstadt, Alan Reed) – 4:58
"Everything About You" (Crane, Eichstadt)– 4:20
"Madman" ('92 Remix) (Eichstadt)– 3:37
"Mr. Recordman" (Eichstadt) – 4:11
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
Thanks for your perspective. Here's one, Who can not love this song?

Check out that 2nd edition Alvarez 5022, D35 clone Dickey Betts is playing. I have one of those I still use as well as an actual Martin D35 and they are so close in sound but the Martin wins on the bass notes. Still a great stage guitar. Thanks for posting. Whew, those chord changes on the hook of the song are so beautiful.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Check out that 2nd edition Alvarez 5022, D35 clone Dickey Betts is playing. I have one of those I still use as well as an actual Martin D35 and they are so close in sound but the Martin wins on the bass notes. Still a great stage guitar. Thanks for posting. Whew, those chord changes on the hook of the song are so beautiful.
I've told this story before, about an "Mint" Martin D35 HD I purchased off ebay, for $1,600,00. Pic's were out of focus. When It arrived, I had the UPS Lady video, while I opened it. It was hamburger I contacted ebay by phone right then, The dude had a fit and tried to say I was swapping one for his mint one, and he finally caved on a return, but allowed, their better not be one blem on it.
He didn't know of the video and signed affidavit, from the UPS Lady. So i had him by the balls, speaking of balls, he would have pulled this off, if not for the video and affidavit..., plus ebay thought it odd of his pic's all from a distance and out of focus. So one really needs someway for S/N to be disclosed to a merchant, like ebay, just for these kind of scams.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear