The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B

Just looking for advice. I had a pair of Genelec 8351B arrive today while I was at work. One of the boxes has quite a severe gash which has gone through both boxes and cracked some heavy duty polystyrene (see attachments). There has obviously been a very heavy impact. Do you think I should just send the one monitor back for exchange or do you think a it would survive such a big impact. I know I could just set it up and see if there is anything wrong, but I am still concerned that something may not be apparent at the moment then be a problem at a letter date. Also it does not bode well that I just spent a big lump of money on them and I now have doubt about condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B-img_0335.jpg   Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B-img_0336.jpg   Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B-img_0338.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'd plug it in if the cabinet looks OK. If you see anything on the cabinet, sent it back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks all sorted no problems. Sound amazing
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm surprised they aren't shipping these in wooden crates like the 8361's I just recieved, considering the price. Happy for you its all good.
Attached Thumbnails
Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B-20200625_145305.jpg   Could there be damage through shipping Genelec 8351B-20200625_145324.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslfetish View Post
I'm surprised they aren't shipping these in wooden crates like the 8361's I just recieved, considering the price. Happy for you its all good.
I think they do it at certain weight limits. The subs get shipped by crates as do the largest speakers. Nothing to do with price (unless that happens to correlate.)

I know another company that does crates in Europe but does double box cardboard to the US for very heavy speakers. It does make sense though -- the rigid double box cardboard weighs a lot less than the crates and they are shipped by plane direct (where weight has a significant surcharge -- by ship it wouldn't matter.) I could put all my weight (170 lbs / 77kg) on the empty double boxes with not even a dent.

In this case, I think Genelec could double box for more rigidity.

Last edited by pentagon; 6 days ago at 03:26 AM..
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear