The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy System 215 DMT Monitors
Old 26th June 2020
Here for the gear

Tannoy System 215 DMT Monitors

Hey everyone. Ive seen a few of these posts regarding these monitors, but nothing comparing them to a modern-day monitor.

Im looking at upgrading my monitoring system from a pair of KRK-R6s.

My room is 18ft x 16ft. I might be breaking through the one wall and making the room longer in the nearby future.

Ive come across a deal on a pair of 215 DMTs + Crest Audio CC151 amp for $1700.

My question is, would something like a pair of ADAM A77X's be a better choice? I see a few studios still using the Tannoy's. Would I benefit from having these + a nearfield system, or should I just go with the ADAM set as my only system?

Has anyone got any experience with both of these monitors?

Is anyone still using these that can give me their opinion on mixing modern music on them? Pop, rock ballads, electronica etc.

Thanks!
Old 26th June 2020
Just my opinion -- I haven't heard either speaker: The Tannoys have a lot of headroom which is good for low distortion, at the cost of being super heavy. On the other hand, I've never seen any directivity graphs for the Tannoys and the amplitude response of all Tannoys I've seen wasn't exactly artifact-free. The price may be a bit too good to be true. You have to figure out yourself if you like (ADAM) ribbons (I don't, for example).

For me, that would be a decision between getting a **** off piece or something that's more of a tool.

Hope this helps.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanschnider View Post
Hey everyone. Ive seen a few of these posts regarding these monitors, but nothing comparing them to a modern-day monitor.

My room is 18ft x 16ft. I might be breaking through the one wall and making the room longer in the nearby future.

My question is, would something like a pair of ADAM A77X's be a better choice? I see a few studios still using the Tannoy's. Would I benefit from having these + a nearfield system, or should I just go with the ADAM set as my only system?

Is anyone still using these that can give me their opinion on mixing modern music on them? Pop, rock ballads, electronica etc.

Thanks!
i got to use the 215's in several studios when they were hip and still i own and use seven system 10 dmt II speakers (which i use as mains in my 7.1.4 setup).

horn loaded speakers are clearly not everyone's choice - i love them, especially coax designs which imo are unrivalled for surround in terms of localisation in the surround field (and of course the same applies to stereo)!

however, i would strongly recommend to drive them 2-ways and use an external speaker processor (or amps with built-in dsp).. - then, they can easily outperform many way more modern speakers!
Old 27th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
The price may be a bit too good to be true.
The commercial studio market in South Africa (where I am from) is very very tiny. No one here actually has budget for gear, especially in the current times where studios are no longer that profitable. So the speakers have been sitting for the last 8 years and been for sale for the last 10 months with no bites. The original asking price was $4400, but the seller obviously realised he wasn't going to sell these. So I made a low offer.

Im doing a listening session sometime next week, so I'm hoping I'll like them!
Old 27th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post

however, i would strongly recommend to drive them 2-ways and use an external speaker processor (or amps with built-in dsp).. - then, they can easily outperform many way more modern speakers!
Are you referring to an amp for each side? (bi-amp)

What speaker processer do you recommend? Or any amps with DSP that wont break the bank?

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2020
Quote:
Im doing a listening session sometime next week, so I'm hoping I'll like them!
Didn't know where you are from. Bring an omni mic, a soundcard and a computer with REW with you so you can measure distortion.
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you referring to an amp for each side? (bi-amp)

What speaker processer do you recommend? Or any amps with DSP that wont break the bank?
drive each speaker 2-ways; can recommend lake/lab gruppen or armonia/powersoft (i'm using both) but of course any (digital) x-over/speaker processor would do, doesn't have to be meyer or lake...
Old 28th June 2020
Quote:

Thanks!
The problem with the DMT series is the tweeter replacement.

Tannoy is no longer making them, so if you blow one good luck finding a replacement anywhere on the planet.

I used to have a pair of 215's with custom 15" woofers( TAD 15" that are used in Boxer monitors instead of the standard Tannoy) and ran them Biwired with the Perraux 9000B(best match) plus Kimber 8TC cable.

Sold the whole kit but kept the Kimber cable for my NS10's(yeah i know still a little slutty) when i closed the old place.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear