The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Info about Korby mike w/ TAB V76 preamp...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Info about Korby mike w/ TAB V76 preamp...

I've looked through other forums and checked into any posts that included "TAB V76 or Korby, but still haven't found anything apropos to my question.

I do EMI repair work in the local area and am usually considered pretty good, but I'm at my wit's end with this one,

One of my customers bought me a TAB V76/120 preamp that he says is distorting on him. I've gone through and replaced tubes where needed and went through a complete checkout of this unit and I'm getting +22dBV output into 300 ohms at <0.2% distortion like the specs call for. When I send it a -40dBV 1KHz sine wave (terminated 200 ohms per specs), the output is absolutely clean all the way up to the 58dB gain setting. Past that (64dB and above), I get distortion, which makes perfect sense; at 58dB gain, a -40dBV input get amplified to +18dBV. At 64db the output reaches 24dBV and there's the distortion.

I understand gain theory perfectly well. I do live sound and I know nuances are much different for studio sound. That's why I'm coming here to get a handle on those from the people that work with them all the time.

The customer insists on using his Korby Kat setup with this preamp. My problem is I cant find ANY specs on what the mike puts out. I would assume that the output of the condenser is somewhere around a -40dBV (10mV) or above (average) and he insists on cranking the gain way up without regard to the output level and then says the preamp distorts when the singer
"leans into it" a bit more.

Am I missing something and if so, please let me add it into my toolbox of knowledge.

TNX all!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have a Korby and it's output is indeed high enough to overload many preamps that don't have pads. Its by far the highest output of any mic I have (I've never come across another mic that will do this), so I tend to always use an inline pad on it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboards View Post

The customer insists on using his Korby Kat setup with this preamp. My problem is I cant find ANY specs on what the mike puts out. I would assume that the output of the condenser is somewhere around a -40dBV (10mV) or above (average) and he insists on cranking the gain way up without regard to the output level and then says the preamp distorts when the singer
"leans into it" a bit more.

Am I missing something and if so, please let me add it into my toolbox of knowledge.

TNX all!!
This is user error. He is causing this distortion. Its like he's brought his car to the mechanic and saying "I keep crashing into the cars in front of my at red lights." and you ask a couple questions about the brakes and he says "I don't use my brakes, why won't the car stop?"

Tell him to turn the gain down, and may pad the mic.

Also, GET THE MONEY FIRST. He sounds like the type that will not want to pay you because it still distorts when he uses it wrong.

Last edited by Drumsound; 2 weeks ago at 12:28 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylizor View Post
I have a Korby and it's output is indeed high enough to overload many preamps that don't have pads. Its by far the highest output of any mic I have (I've never come across another mic that will do this), so I tend to always use an inline pad on it.

I agree
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

FWIW- I almost always had to use an external pad after a Korby CM3 (precursor to that mic) into a V77 or it would overload/distort the preamp's input.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear