The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Fusion or ______?
Old 2 weeks ago
SSL Fusion or ______?

So giddy that I finally get to make this cookie cutter topic for myself:

I'm 90% happy with the final outcome of my mixes, the final 10% is due to a lack of clean loudness, audible imaging/width, and lack of variable harmonic content.

I typically track to 2 track, although I can go up to 16 channels with the use of computer multi-tracking but I tend to try getting everything how I want it and just track to my Tascam recorder.

My current analog outboard is:
2 Tweakers inserted on ch 1-2 of SSL SiX
Electra EQ inserted on the main out of the Six

I really like these Kush units as tbey are versatile and give me what I am looking for, but I can't have the Tweakers in 2 places at once and I like the sidechain options they bring to the table as well as their color uses as opposed to Bus compression. So when it works for what I have going, I rely on the SiX's G-Bus "lite"

I also love the Electra, and although I would prefer it as a sole drum bus EQ, it has worked well for me as a 2-bus EQ despite the believe that stepped/verifiable matching are better suited for 2-bus.

I'm looking for one more unit for 2-bus duties, Gain, minimal to light coloration, stereo imaging, light EQ and Compression. I'm thinking the Fusion is the unit, having it inserted into the SiX's main insert and the Electra inserted into the fusion.

I make non-mic'd electronic music with a mix of analog roland and elektron. I'll be cutting out the majority of my analog gear over the next few weeks and mainly looking for a way to bring a little more "bloom" and harmonic content to the elektron's but with a tool versatile enough for broad range mixing use.

Ideally I'd be able to add a better bus compressor, a different flavor of EQ (pulteq/vari-mu) and a color box (LTL SB/Culture Vulture) but I'll only be parting with enough gear to cover $2-3k and I'm currently trying to cut back on my physical footprint.

Looking for any insight or discussion as to user experience with the Fusion as a dedicated 2-bus in more minimal set ups.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also check out:

Silver Bullet
Overstayer Modular Channel
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Hi Gerry. How are you hooking up your Elektron’s etc to your SiX

I am experimenting with diff configurations and at the moment outputting the diff groups / busses from my DAW into the six (Drums / synths etc) summing and returning the main stereo mix back to DAW.

Fusion does look like it would be great in the Main Bus insert of the SiX

Last edited by kultschar; 2 weeks ago at 12:05 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Hi Gerry. How are you hooking up your Elektron’s etc to your SiX.

Are you using Overbridge and going from DAW into SiX at all and then returning to Daw

Fusion does look like it would work nice in the Main Bus insert of the SiX

I use a MD UW mkii and an Octa mkii so no over bridge in the equation. I typically only use DAW for ozone for my digital bounces. Pretty underutilized, but also used for sample prep etc.

I'm not after super hi-if or distribution but there is a self-appeasing audio quality I'm after but best practice sound quality comes second to flexibility in my current situation. I find the kush stuff and SSL to fit my needs in that regards. When needing more channels than what the Six offers, I incorporate a mackie 1402-VLZ and will run it into the SSL's stereo channels and use 1-2 of the SSL for mono synths with an individual tweaker inserted or where I route a stereo System-8.
Otherwise I give each elektron a stereo track on the six when I can.

An Orville is acting as 2 stereo aux's on the Six via cue and EXT ins.

In an ideal scenario I'd have the Kush inbetween the mackie and six with a designated EQ, G-bus, LTL SB, AND Fusion, but realistically only desire one.
Any reason why the LTL SB would be better than the Fusion as recommended above? They seem like very different beasts but I'm not sure the SB offers the range of tools the Fusion does. SB seems like the ideal choice when needing to add more character and color whereas the fusion shapes what is already there?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Both SB and Fusion sound great. If you don’t need the preamps of the SB I would go for the Fusion.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear