The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC Swift + Retro 2a3 Redundant ???
Old 16th June 2020
TC Swift + Retro 2a3 Redundant ???

I have the opportunity to get a thermionic Swift eq at a great price. Basically new / clean / with warranty.

I currently have a 2a3
Would this be somewhat redundant?

My other eqs are
Clariphonic m/s
Elysia nvelope (has an eq non transient setting)
Neve shelford
Old 16th June 2020
Other info

I don’t mean running them in series
I mean spreading my resources around

I could buy a maag new or used for a similar price

I love TC stuff
I have a Phoenix (in the mail)
I have a culture vulture
- too much of a good thing factor?
Old 16th June 2020
Deleted a2500d9
I’m very interested to hear your thoughts if you do get the swift comparing it to your 2a3. My understanding is that the swift is very clean and the retro very coloured so I don’t think they would be redundant at all.

Also please let us know how you like your Pheonix when you get it (if you don’t mind) how it interacts with your other gear etc. I’ve had mine for about 2 weeks now and am liking it but still getting to know/understand it. It’s my first Vari mu and my first thermionic product, the swift is appealing as well.
Old 17th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkDNA View Post
I’m very interested to hear your thoughts if you do get the swift comparing it to your 2a3. My understanding is that the swift is very clean and the retro very coloured so I don’t think they would be redundant at all.

Also please let us know how you like your Pheonix when you get it (if you don’t mind) how it interacts with your other gear etc. I’ve had mine for about 2 weeks now and am liking it but still getting to know/understand it. It’s my first Vari mu and my first thermionic product, the swift is appealing as well.

I did end up getting it. Should be in the mail soon.
I will definitely come back and let you know.
I’ve never had a vari-mu either!
I wish my long time Manley froemd could come over and give it a spin. We’ll see

I’ll come back to yap
Old 17th June 2020
Quote:

How are you using the Phoenix - drum bus - individual things? Mix bus?
What kinds of music?
And what other comps do you have or have a good grasp of.
I bought mine assuming I’d slap it on and leave it in my mix bus. But maybe I’m being short sighted. Of course the ear and studio fun doesn’t need to stop there.
Old 17th June 2020
I’ve also assumed I’m gonna put the Swift after the Phoenix. And that’s that. All on mix bus. Hardwired. Maybe that’s a start. But I could def let them find their way where they want no?!?
Of course !
Old 17th June 2020
Deleted a2500d9
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 View Post
What kinds of music?
I bought mine assuming I’d slap it on and leave it in my mix bus. But maybe I’m being short sighted. Of course the ear and studio fun doesn’t need to stop there.
I have only been using the Pheonix on the front end while tracking so far because that’s what I was working on when it arrived.
I’ve had (and sold) a stereo pair of distressors for many years and also API2500 which I still have.

I’m finding Vari mu compression very different from VCA compression which all of my experience is based on. Specifically the relationship between the input knob & threshold, increasing input adds colour or character but also increases the compression ratio as the signal goes higher above the threshold. The first couple times I used it I was a bit underwhelmed tbh BUT as I got to know how to use it Ive been liking it more and more. I find it rather transparent but it makes things bigger and more euphonic, I’m very rarely doing heavy compression on anything but I don’t think the Pheonix has such a heavy colour as say the api2500. When set right the Pheonix makes whatever signal you are putting through it better, it’s a really nice piece IMO.

Now, as I understand it it shines on individual sources, drums and 2bus. I too bought it for 2 bus duties but I also bought it so it can serve double duties, drums & tracking sometimes. I’ve heard a clean solid state EQ before the Pheonix on 2bus is a good combo, I will try this with my mini massive. I’m also going to be trying drum bus, api2500 > Pheonix both doing only about 1db of compression. I’ve also got to try it out in standby mode using it for tube distortion/saturation pushing the input and maybe blending in parallel with the dry signal.

As you said I will try it out in some different chains and scenarios and see where it wants to be most of the time.

D.
Old 18th June 2020
Quote:
I have only been using the Pheonix on the front end while tracking so far because that’s what I was working on when it arrived.
I’ve had (and sold) a stereo pair of distressors for many years and also API2500 which I still have.

I’m finding Vari mu compression very different from VCA compression which all of my experience is based on. Specifically the relationship between the input knob & threshold, increasing input adds colour or character but also increases the compression ratio as the signal goes higher above the threshold. The first couple times I used it I was a bit underwhelmed tbh BUT as I got to know how to use it Ive been liking it more and more. I find it rather transparent but it makes things bigger and more euphonic, I’m very rarely doing heavy compression on anything but I don’t think the Pheonix has such a heavy colour as say the api2500. When set right the Pheonix makes whatever signal you are putting through it better, it’s a really nice piece IMO.

Now, as I understand it it shines on individual sources, drums and 2bus. I too bought it for 2 bus duties but I also bought it so it can serve double duties, drums & tracking sometimes. I’ve heard a clean solid state EQ before the Pheonix on 2bus is a good combo, I will try this with my mini massive. I’m also going to be trying drum bus, api2500 > Pheonix both doing only about 1db of compression. I’ve also got to try it out in standby mode using it for tube distortion/saturation pushing the input and maybe blending in parallel with the dry signal.

As you said I will try it out in some different chains and scenarios and see where it wants to be most of the time.

D.

Thanks a lot for the response. That’s great to hear. I too have a 2500 so the reference and insights are helpful.
Old 21st July 2020
Deleted a2500d9
@ augustin187 How are you finding the Pheonix ?
Old 22nd July 2020
I love it
Wow
It’s like a furry hug
Super sturdy and mean low end

It did this standby trick where you crank the input hard for distortion.
Was awesome.

I look forward to tracking into it. Vox
For a different feel than stay level. But right away I could hear why it would be tasty for tracking.
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by night danger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 View Post
What kinds of music?

D.
Any luck with solid state eq before / after the Pheonix? I conceptually like the idea of 2bus eq after complete to lift and restore. But I need to experiment more.
📝 Reply