The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much did Vintage mics cost in the 60's
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How much did Vintage mics cost in the 60's

The other day I was wondering what the cost of vintage gear would have been back in the days when it was being actively manufactured, or in other words not vintage. This gear is now coveted for its sound and mics like the u47 and c12 can cost $10,000. But you already knew that heh heh...Alright, so my question is what did mics like the Neumann/Telefunken U47, U48, U67, M49, ELAM 251, AKG C12 cost back in the day?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If you hunt around a little there are jpegs of old price lists.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Google
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A lot, actually. I'm assuming you mean good ones. They were professional tools marketed almost exclusively to working studios.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is a 1959 and 1966 Gotham Audio catalog. For example a U47 was $335.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gotham 59 Catalog.pdf (3.08 MB, 24 views) File Type: pdf Gotham Audio 1966.pdf (11.39 MB, 26 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Here is a 1959 and 1966 Gotham Audio catalog. For example a U47 was $335.
Or $2,972.30 in 2020 $US. Average house price in 1959: $ 19,130.21, or $ 169,250.26 in 2020 $US. You could argue that both were undervalued - the $US was very strong.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
Or $2,972.30 in 2020 $US. Average house price in 1959: $ 19,130.21, or $ 169,250.26 in 2020 $US. You could argue that both were undervalued - the $US was very strong.
Your average house price in 2020 seems cheap. Lucky for some. Our average is equivalent to US$400,000.00!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
About the same as a Flea Next right now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of early U67s that my dad bought used in 1962 for $400, for the pair. He told me that was about half the new price at the time. Still have them to this day which is cool, but don’t have the pair of 251s my dad later bought new, sigh. That said this wasn’t cheap at the time!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
I have a pair of early U67s that my dad bought used in 1962 for $400, for the pair. He told me that was about half the new price at the time. Still have them to this day which is cool, but don’t have the pair of 251s my dad later bought new, sigh. That said this wasn’t cheap at the time!
That is a VERY cool family heirloom.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
my dad was apparently nowhere near as cool as your dad
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear