The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avocet 2A DAC for monitoring with Lynx AESe Cards
Old 3 weeks ago
Avocet 2A DAC for monitoring with Lynx AESe Cards

Hi fellow Slutz

Looking for some advice on how I can best setup my rig to monitor using the Avocet DAC. I have just recently acquired a new Avocet 2A and would like to be able to put the quantum DAC to good use for monitoring purposes.

Im currently running a PC with standard Protools 12 (not HD, with no digi hardware/cards etc) with a Lynx Aurora 16 and Lynx PCIe AES card. Running flawlessly on Windows 10.

I have a hybrid summing setup with Protools running 16 channels (8 stereo stems) out to a summing mixer through analog gear, then back into PT as a analog summed stereo mix.

I'm currently monitoring off the summing mixer, and I can also utilise 2 channels of the Aurora DA for monitoring once the mix is printed back into PT.

Lynx has confirmed I can run up to 4 PCIe AES cards in my system at once, and can be clocked internally via a Lynx card cables.

Would a second PCIe AES card allow me to simultaneously run the 16 channels out (via the first AES card/Aurora) to my summing/analog gear and then back into PTs through a 2 Bus and Master fader, then send a stereo AES output via the second AES card to the Avocet DAC for monitoring? Does PT allow this configuration, as the same drivers will run both Lynx cards?

So the stem mixing workflow would be PT-> AESe Card 1 -> A16-> Analog Summing-> A16 -> AES Card 1 -> PT (2 bus & Master Fader)-> AES Card 2-> Avoect DAC -> Amphions

I hope this all makes sense.

I'd love to hear from anyone who currently runs their system this way, or has had experience with multiple lynx card setups in PT, and how they monitor with the Avocet DAC.

Thanks in advance guys, cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Could you not outfit your current Aurora 16 with an LT-ADAT card, or some other L-series expander module (USB?), and work it that way?

Not sure you need to go through the trouble of getting a whole new AESe card, as they are kind of expensive, and the L-cards for the Auroras are relatively less.

For years I used an Aurora 16 with the LT-ADAT card and a Rosetta 200. Worked great for me once you figure out the Lynx software mixer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler007 View Post
Could you not outfit your current Aurora 16 with an LT-ADAT card, or some other L-series expander module (USB?), and work it that way?

Not sure you need to go through the trouble of getting a whole new AESe card, as they are kind of expensive, and the L-cards for the Auroras are relatively less.

For years I used an Aurora 16 with the LT-ADAT card and a Rosetta 200. Worked great for me once you figure out the Lynx software mixer.
I have seen a few of the AESe cards on the used market lately for quite cheap, as I think a lot of people may be upgrading to TB3 with Aurora n.

In saying that though I have no ADAT or TB ports on my PC, as it’s a 2010 build, but I do have a spare PCIe slot for an additional AES card.

I have thought about the LT USB option, however I much prefer the stability and performance of the AESe card, but cheers for the suggestion
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear