The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Already have a u87ai, looking into a vintage u87, thoughts?
Old 3 weeks ago
Already have a u87ai, looking into a vintage u87, thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a u87ai and I want to buy a Vintage u87 again, had one 5 years ago but decided to sell it at the time. What do you guys think?

Most people are selling them at really high prices these days, and with customs here in Canada. I'm guessing it'll cost me north of 3600 usd with duty fees.

I'm seeing a nice sounding one (they sent a vocal sample) that's black in the UK, one pin is broken on it (-10 attenuator), and he's asking for 2800 usd. With duty fees, I'm guessing I'll pay about 3500usd or maybe more. I'm wondering if I should get a cm67 instead and call it a day.

I'm mostly buying it because I think they use the u87 in Atlanta for rap.
Old 3 weeks ago
No, unless you find one for a good price. Like around the 2k mark.

I do think the vintage sounds better then the Ai. At least the two vintage that I owned. I would rather take a look at a tube mic. If you're into Rap the AA 800 clone sounded pretty convincing from the samples posted here on GS.

I wouldn't go the u67 route. I would rather go for something like a 251. Bright but with mojo.
Once you have a nice tube mic a u87 sounds pretty uninspiring although useful ofc!

Good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post

I do think the vintage sounds better then the Ai. At least the two vintage that I owned. I would rather take a look at a tube mic. If you're into Rap the AA 800 clone sounded pretty convincing from the samples posted here on GS.

I wouldn't go the u67 route. I would rather go for something like a 251. Bright but with mojo.
Once you have a nice tube mic a u87 sounds pretty uninspiring although useful ofc!

Good luck!
Hang on I should have mentioned, I have a c800g already. And ya I agree, the vintage u87 sounds better. I want to have every mic that rappers use these days, I'll be buying an sm7b (4th time in my life I'm buying one, can you believe it).
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Hang on I should have mentioned, I have a c800g already. And ya I agree, the vintage u87 sounds better. I want to have every mic that rappers use these days, I'll be buying an sm7b (4th time in my life I'm buying one, can you believe it).
Ah ok

Well I can definitely live without a u87 but it's the most affordable one if you want to be able to get that classic Neumann sound.

I wouldn't pay 3-3.5k for one though. That's just not worth it in my opinion.

Id still look at a highend 251clone if you already have a s800. Or go big u68/m269c if you really want that kind of sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Ah ok

Well I can definitely live without a u87 but it's the most affordable one if you want to be able to get that classic Neumann sound.

I wouldn't pay 3-3.5k for one though. That's just not worth it in my opinion.

Id still look at a highend 251clone if you already have a s800. Or go big u68/m269c if you really want that kind of sound.
Ya I really like the Telefunken 251, compared it with my c800g and it sounded more solid in general, more even in the frequencies. We will see, I am pretty happy with my c800g though, I just want every hip hop mic being used so I can audition them on my voice everytime I start a new song. If someone can confirm what Migos uses. If it's a u87ai then I won't buy a vintage u87.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO a nice alternative plan, is to get a quality "Vintage style" tube Pre and/or hardware compressor. Do you have one already? (I realize you may already)
U87ai + tube Pre is even closer to a vintage U87, than U87ai alone. (even though the current U87, may be just the ticket!)
Just a thought...
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Good luck!
IMHO for a vintage U87i, $2.5K is a good price, for an excellent+ one.
Also I think on some sources, the current U87ai can sound as good too,
as the vintage one. Particularly on Modern genres.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
IMHO for a vintage U87i, $2.5K is a good price, for an excellent+ one.
Also I think on some sources, the current U87ai can sound as good too,
as the vintage one. Particularly on Modern genres.
Chris
I just found one locally, will be delivered to me for 2500, the grill is dented but it's all good, I heard a vocal sample and it sounded in the ballpark of what I remembered from the one i used to have.

I'll have a u87ai, vintage u87, c800g, and I will order a sm7b today and I'll be good after that. Those 3 mics along with the manley ref c is what's usually used (not buying manley), and I use a Redd pre/ Aurora GtQ and Burl and TubetechCl1b so I should be set after that!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds great on all fronts! I have access, via two close friends, of a U87ai and a U87. I say "U87" because it's been in storage, and he's not sure if it's a vintage one! We're planning to break it out, within a month.

That kinda freed me up, for any more non-87 choices in the future. (weirdly my $90 AKG P120 sounds almost as good anyway!)

Eventually if it's in the budget, and there's enough GAS in the tank.... The Max Mod sounds (literally & figuratively) like a cool way to go, for some 67 style Mojo.

Thankfully, the Soundelux U99 ($2600), or the TLM 67 (I'd get a used one BTW)... Both seem sonically to be at least the equal of the mighty U67 RI, on me.

The U99 is somewhat better "out of the box", but I bet the cheaper $$ TLM67, could be processed to sound pretty close.
(the Max Mod works for the TLM67 too)
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Sounds great on all fronts! I have access, via two close friends, of a U87ai and a U87. I say "U87" because it's been in storage, and he's not sure if it's a vintage one! We're planning to break it out, within a month.

That kinda freed me up, for any more non-87 choices in the future. (weirdly my $90 AKG P120 sounds almost as good anyway!)

Eventually if it's in the budget, and there's enough GAS in the tank.... The Max Mod sounds (literally & figuratively) like a cool way to go, for some 67 style Mojo.

Thankfully, the Soundelux U99 ($2600), or the TLM 67 (I'd get a used one BTW)... Both seem sonically to be at least the equal of the mighty U67 RI, on me.

The U99 is somewhat better "out of the box", but I bet the cheaper $$ TLM67, could be processed to sound pretty close.
(the Max Mod works for the TLM67 too)
Chris
Ya I almost bought the max mod, I might get it in a month. I heard that the soundelux u99 is very u67 sounding. I heard samples of the Wunder cm67 and it sounds amazing honesty.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If my Buddies, get the 67 bug, I expect at least one of them to go Max Mod. Rather than shelling out 7 Grand on the Reissue.
That's only for the most serious and/or top Commercial Studios.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
If my Buddies, get the 67 bug, I expect at least one of them to go Max Mod. Rather than shelling out 7 Grand on the Reissue.
That's only for the most serious and/or top Commercial Studios.
Chris
If modern rappers used a u67 I would have bought one, or any other mic, but most of them use the u87ai (or vintage, again unsure), c800g or sm7b, I want to cover my bases, I dont want to use a mic that they don't use, it's really important to me to get a recognizable sound, pretty much like the Manley Ref c or c800g or 251 for the recognizable pop sound (that's kind of going away these days). the c800g is friggin amazing for rap though, but it can be too polished for an unknown face like me (I'm releasing a separate hip hop Ep next year).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

With an exceptional voice like yours then, you may want to experiment with a 47 style someday.

It helped the Crooners cut through a multi-piece Orchestra.
And handled the wild vocals of Little Richard too!

IMHO the quality 47 style vocal mic, can be a "secret weapon" in the Modern genres.

Flipping on the FAT switch, on my U195, moves it towards around 25%+, towards more of the U47 Tube style sound BTW. Interesting because it's a K67 capsule. So it has to be the Circuit, that Bock used in it.

Not enough to satisfy a serious buyer away from a Premium U47 Clone, but handy for Yours Truly nonetheless.
Chris
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear