The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87ai loose XLR?
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

U87ai loose XLR?

Hi all,
So recently I’ve bought a u87ai , after few using, I found the male XLR pins of the mic is kinda loose/bit shaking if I touch it. Is it normal or I should worry bout ?

Thank you!

P.s the microphone works very fine, no weird noise etc, simply the pins are kinda loose when it’s disconnected with the cable .

Last edited by ericoz; 12th June 2020 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Added more details
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoz View Post
Hi all,
So recently I’ve bought a u87ai , after few using, I found the male XLR pins of the mic is kinda loose/bit shaking if I touch it. Is it normal or I should worry bout ?

Thank you!

P.s the microphone works very fine, no weird noise etc, simply the pins are kinda loose when it’s disconnected with the cable .
Don’t stress
That is perfectly normal.

The xlr is mounted on a male pin. No problem!

They last 50 years or so!!! I have proof!!! Lll
Old 14th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Don’t stress
That is perfectly normal.

The xlr is mounted on a male pin. No problem!

They last 50 years or so!!! I have proof!!! Lll

Thank you sir that helps alot!

I've another question tho, you ever heard that mic feedback will ruin it's sensitivity or damage the capsule?
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoz View Post
Thank you sir that helps alot!

I've another question tho, you ever heard that mic feedback will ruin it's sensitivity or damage the capsule?
Yes i have heard this but alas no; it isn’t true.

It takes extreme pressure level to stretch or dislocate a diaphragm. Feedback would not do this unless it was feeding back at 2m from a 20000w system ?

Hope that helps!

Cheers. Ben
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear
stretch it.....no way. a good cap cant be hurt by air pressure in that range. Moisture can hurt it from humidity, breath, temp changes. Dirt/spit can build up on the cap surface. There is a thing called hysteresis that can effect mic's.

Often the older mic's sound nicer than new ones for any one of many reasons. Break in time of material, Craftsmanship, Materials, etc.....

Ribbon mic's can built up magnetic stuff over time from the air.

Once you look at a circuit under the cap, capacitors can go bad, and a component could get fried/overloaded. Depends on the exact design.

XLR plug. Could be a cable with a slightly smaller end than typical. If you are talking about the entire plug on the mic. Have you at least taken the mic appart or tried to tighten it? the main tube is threaded on both ends.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Don’t stress
That is perfectly normal.l
It's not only normal, but loose by design (Neumann uses this method on all of its XLR-equipped mics):
If the mic's male XLR were inflexibly fixed in one place, any time you insert the cable female even a tiny bit off-angle, the pressure on the pins would chafe the contact surfaces, removing a bit of the thin silver or gold plating.

The surface pressure on the contacts is minimized by keeping the connector loose enough to angle a bit during connecting with the cable female.

That's how Ben gets 50 years of life out of them!
Old 16th June 2020
Here for the gear

thanks guys!
📝 Reply