The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just bought a mc77 and 551 eq
Old 3 weeks ago
Just bought a mc77 and 551 eq

im so geeked right now MY MC77 and 551 eq arrives tomorrow ..BUT anyway my chain is currently a manley ref c into the 511 or ma 5 into cl1b... can you guys give me good starting point on where t place the mc77 and 551 ? yes i want to eq going in i like to commit to the sound and I know i can experiment but id like to hear what has worked for you all when tracking vocals and why you all place it the components where you do in the chain ...THANKS !!
Old 3 weeks ago
MC77 start - 4:1 ratio, slowest attack (it's hella fast there anyway), medium release. Don't bury the needle, up to -5 on peaks sounds natural.

EQ is anybody's guess. Your voice interacting with that mic in your mix is going to be a unique set of problems to solve. Boost, cut, highs, mids, lows, it just depends.

I'd put EQ last in the chain, although I do like the sound of a compressed EQ. But if you are boosting especially lows it can be problematic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
MC77 start - 4:1 ratio, slowest attack (it's hella fast there anyway), medium release. Don't bury the needle, up to -5 on peaks sounds natural.

EQ is anybody's guess. Your voice interacting with that mic in your mix is going to be a unique set of problems to solve. Boost, cut, highs, mids, lows, it just depends.

I'd put EQ last in the chain, although I do like the sound of a compressed EQ. But if you are boosting especially lows it can be problematic.
thanks !!! Would you use the mc77 before or after the cl1b
Old 3 weeks ago
Either way is fine really.

In my experience before the opto will keep the cl1b from working quite so hard, after the opto will be more of a safety net for the extreme peaks that get through.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear