The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone Advice
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Microphone Advice

hello all,

I'd like to upgrade from my vintage u87 to something sexier and I could use your advice.
My budget is around 3700 euros. I don't mind buying a used mic. I got my eye on a used Chandler REDD for example.

I record mainly my vocals and that's either rock with a dark tone baritone or screaming metal with high SPL.

I'd like a warm sound that's well present, sits good in a mix (I won't be mixing), large in presence, smooth top-end and has a bit of that "classic" sound.

I know that many recommend an SM7b, which I've used before, but to be honest I find it less alive than the u87. It's also unfair for the SM7b to be compared to a mic that's 2K more expensive.

I was leaning towards the Brauner list but I've noticed many users on GS saying that they don't work well with rock vocals, except for the VMX which is over my budget by 1000.

What do you think some good choice could be? Between 2400 and 3700 euros please.

Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Redd is awesome... definitely more on the more modern sounding side of things
I’m digging my Tonelux Jc37. Great for rock vocals
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaughan View Post
Redd is awesome... definitely more on the more modern sounding side of things
I’m digging my Tonelux Jc37. Great for rock vocals
Please forgive my ignorance but when you say modern, what does that mean exactly? Only thing that comes to my mind is the extremely polished MTV top 10 tracklist
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wch View Post
hello all,

I'd like to upgrade from my vintage u87 to something sexier and I could use your advice.
My budget is around 3700 euros. I don't mind buying a used mic. I got my eye on a used Chandler REDD for example.

I record mainly my vocals and that's either rock with a dark tone baritone or screaming metal with high SPL.

I'd like a warm sound that's well present, sits good in a mix (I won't be mixing), large in presence, smooth top-end and has a bit of that "classic" sound.

I know that many recommend an SM7b, which I've used before, but to be honest I find it less alive than the u87. It's also unfair for the SM7b to be compared to a mic that's 2K more expensive.

I was leaning towards the Brauner list but I've noticed many users on GS saying that they don't work well with rock vocals, except for the VMX which is over my budget by 1000.

What do you think some good choice could be? Between 2400 and 3700 euros please.

Thank you
The SM7 could be a great mic, despite its price, but that does not mean that fits your vocals or your goal/taste
Of course it has a different presentation than a condenser.

If I were you I’d go with a Horch RMJ2, is a very well made mic, with premium components like a Tiersch capsule and Haufe xformer.. sounds very good! Classic piece, that fits your description (maybe..?)

Another less expensive option might be a Lewitt LCT940, good sounding mic with the option to switch between fet or tube or anything in between..quite a versatile mic.

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Please forgive my ignorance but when you say modern, what does that mean exactly? Only thing that comes to my mind is the extremely polished MTV top 10 tracklist
I would say certainly has a sheen to it. Kinda into the c800g territory. Bright without being overly sibilant.
It can do the saturated (drive) thing but i haven’t found too much use for that...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Anyone has experience with these mics, considering: Baritone voice, rock, high SPL + screaming? These are what I can find (new) where I live, but I am also open to buying a used mic within my range:

- Manley reference c (black, can't imagine finding the silver/gold within my budget),
- Brauner series (Phantom V, Valvet, Valvet x, Phanthera V),
- Chandler Limited TG,
- Mojave MA-1000,
- Ehrlund EHR-T,
- SE Electronics RNT,
- FLEA 47 NEXT,
- FLEA 49 NEXT,
- FLEA 47 Vintage (used)

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by wch; 3 weeks ago at 10:09 AM.. Reason: added FLEA options
Old 3 weeks ago
I have the ref c and for the style you are mentioning I would not grab the ref c but, I would grab the silver! Silver sounds great for the style you want. The gold can work too but I’d lean more towards the silver.
GL!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

give the schoeps v4 a try - and it's even less expensive!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone has experience with these mics, considering: Baritone voice, rock, high SPL + screaming? These are what I can find (new) where I live, but I am also open to buying a used mic within my range:

- Manley reference c (black, can't imagine finding the silver/gold within my budget),
- Chandler Limited TG,
- Mojave MA-1000,
- Ehrlund EHR-T,
- SE Electronics RNT,
- FLEA 47 NEXT,
- FLEA 49 NEXT,
- FLEA 47 Vintage (used)

Thanks a lot!
If you’re after a C12 or 251 style mic (bright sounding mics) you could find a used Manley Gold for about 3.5k US$.

Also BSA have an M250 and a C12 with a siemens 204 circuit mod which are nice, also very good capsules used from Haun and Haufe xformers..good components used.. totally within your price range.

I believe GS member PaulG (Paul Godfrey) own one or a pair of both the BSA and the Horch RM2J, so he could shed more light and tell you more

The Shoeps V4 might also be good for this type of vocals, although I never tested it with screamos..

The mic I’ve recommended above are more toward a 47 sound.

(the Horch is also used by Primal Fear Ralf Scheepers, the mic is called RM2F..
Horch could even build your style mic tailored for YOUR vocals, you could send them your “footprint” and they will do it for you.. how cool is that!

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
If you’re after a C12 or 251 style mic (bright sounding mics) you could find a used Manley Gold for about 3.5k US$.

Also BSA have an M250 and a C12 with a siemens 204 circuit mod which are nice, also very good capsules used from Haun and Haufe xformers..good components used.. totally within your price range.

I believe GS member PaulG (Paul Godfrey) own one or a pair of both the BSA and the Horch RM2J, so he could shed more light and tell you more

The Shoeps V4 might also be good for this type of vocals, although I never tested it with screamos..

The mic I’ve recommended above are more toward a 47 sound.

(the Horch is also used by Primal Fear Ralf Scheepers, the mic is called RM2F..
Horch could even build your style mic tailored for YOUR vocals, you could send them your “footprint” and they will do it for you.. how cool is that!

Cheu
Hi Cheu,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Ive just looked up the RM2J Mark 2 and goddamn, seems like a killer microphone that can handle a lot of SPL plus it sounds magical! Do you have any experience with it yourself?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Check out the Cathedral Pipes Regensburg Dom. It’s a serious mic for male rock vocals. They make their own M7 capsules. It’s well within your budget.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just for reference, a link to The Quartbreakers. . .

. . .not a group of screamers; but they cover a good dynamic range - and a useful example, I hope. . .

Of course YouTube never delivers justice to any mic,

Ray H.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Cheu,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Ive just looked up the RM2J Mark 2 and goddamn, seems like a killer microphone that can handle a lot of SPL plus it sounds magical! Do you have any experience with it yourself?
You’re welcome!
I do, but it was the “old” model, this new mk2 should have that “mode” as well afaik, so it should be virtually identical..
that said other than a Wagner or an original U47 (which are both rather unobtanium and well outside your price range), if you’re looking for a 47 style mic this is the one to get imho.. the caps are from Tiersch).

I believe on YT you also find a video where it’s used on drums rooms or OH, and it sounds “right” to my ears.. (but need to be taken with a grain of salt, since it’s a video on YT).

I’d suggest to speak with them, you might be able to test one, or as said even tailor one for your voice.. which would be even better. Totally within your budget too.

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
hello all,

keep the U-87. it will only go up in value.

regarding screaming metal, its been a few years since i did much of that, but in the Bad old Days i would throw up a Re-20 or a 421 or 441 senheiser, all dynamics.

run it into a Blue stripe. (distortions Good man ) or a Distressor.

today i would probably still do the same.

Buddha
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
keep the U-87. it will only go up in value.

regarding screaming metal, its been a few years since i did much of that, but in the Bad old Days i would throw up a Re-20 or a 421 or 441 senheiser, all dynamics.

run it into a Blue stripe. (distortions Good man ) or a Distressor.

today i would probably still do the same.

Buddha

Thanks Buddha, I definitely love my U87 but I am always worried about its tolerance towards screaming and high SPL.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don’t sell the u87. They may be commonplace but they’re going up in value.

They’re a classic for a very good reason!

Sexier <> more expensive
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Buddha, I definitely love my U87 but I am always worried about its tolerance towards screaming and high SPL.
i guess you have a good pop shield?

don't let them eat the Mic. if they are out of range for spit and saliva thats best.

keep them a foot or so away. it will sound a bit roomy but thats better than moisture on the capsule.

Buddha
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
you asked what is a "Modern" sound. The best way I can put it, it's not gentle or soft knee. It's in your face, but with class.

I don't buy mic's over $2K. Can't justify it because it's just a hobby for me. But I have been lucky and found a U99S, Groove Tube MD3, and U87A each for about 2K$ a few years back. I once owned a C800 when I had a studio.

But from what I have seen on the forum, The REDD, C800G are both the top notch modern sounding vocal mic.

If I did not have an MD3, I would get a Tonelux. The 37A flavor of mic is great on many singers.

In a general I suggest deciding on what LDC flavor you want.

Flavors: 37,47,67,87,800,12(414),251

Once you pick a flavor, then it's a matter of finding the mic with the best cap available in that flavor.

Josephson is not cheap, but man they make a great cap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
you asked what is a "Modern" sound. The best way I can put it, it's not gentle or soft knee. It's in your face, but with class.

I don't buy mic's over $2K. Can't justify it because it's just a hobby for me. But I have been lucky and found a U99S, Groove Tube MD3, and U87A each for about 2K$ a few years back. I once owned a C800 when I had a studio.

But from what I have seen on the forum, The REDD, C800G are both the top notch modern sounding vocal mic.

If I did not have an MD3, I would get a Tonelux. The 37A flavor of mic is great on many singers.

In a general I suggest deciding on what LDC flavor you want.

Flavors: 37,47,67,87,800,12(414),251

Once you pick a flavor, then it's a matter of finding the mic with the best cap available in that flavor.

Josephson is not cheap, but man they make a great cap.
boah, you got a groove tubes md3?! now that's one of the very few mics for which i'd pay more than 2k! - recording clearly isn't a hobby for me but imo no mic is worth more than 3-5k...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

- Chandler Limited TG,
- Mojave MA-1000,
- Ehrlund EHR-T,
- SE Electronics RNT,
- FLEA 47 NEXT,
- FLEA 49 NEXT,
- FLEA 47 Vintage (used)

Thanks a lot!
I own a TG right now, plenty of experience with the Manley and Flea stuff. The TG is definitely not a "warm" mic. I bought it because I gravitate towards warmer or more neutral microphones. I needed something different to round out my mic collection. It's pretty bright but still has some really interesting/vintage body to it. Aside from all the EQ choices, switching from System A to the tamer B system allows it to take some pretty insane levels without crapping out or saturating. It's quite versatile, but if you want warm you'll probably park it on the first EQ setting (all the way counter clock wise) and still think it's a bit bright.

All the Flea stuff is great, but they now have a LOT of variations of similar topologies. If you've never owned a nice 47 style mic or a vintage one, I would strongly recommend buying one of their cheaper models and saving some money. If you can live with just the cardioid pattern, the NEXT line is fantastic. I actually got to sit down at Vintage King in Nashville a few years back and directly compare the Flea Vintage, Next and new SuperFet. The Vintage and NEXT might as well have been a matched pair. But even the differences in the superfet were pretty subtle. Unless you've got a lot of experience with 47 style mics, I don't think its worth spending the extra on the more expensive flea mics.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear