The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Limited Microphone Cassette vs TG Channel MKII
Old 10th June 2020
  #1
Chandler Limited Microphone Cassette vs TG Channel MKII

I'm looking for some advice here, I'm in the market for a high-end channel strip and wondered if any of you guys who have used both of these units could comment? I understand that the EQ design is different between the two units. Use would primarily be on vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, possibly kick or snare, etc.

My only previous experience with Chandler gear is their Germanium mic pre, at a friend's studio we used it on guitar and I was blown away by the way it made the guitar sound sort of "glow" and sit in the mix when it was driven hard.
Old 11th June 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
I'm looking for some advice here, I'm in the market for a high-end channel strip and wondered if any of you guys who have used both of these units could comment? I understand that the EQ design is different between the two units. Use would primarily be on vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, possibly kick or snare, etc.

My only previous experience with Chandler gear is their Germanium mic pre, at a friend's studio we used it on guitar and I was blown away by the way it made the guitar sound sort of "glow" and sit in the mix when it was driven hard.
Hi, I hope this helps...

Your are correct, the EQ sections are different types—EMI EQs were nicknamed 'Curve Bender' regardless of topology,—and both units are great for the sources you've mentioned, however, some things to ponder in your quest...

The TG12411's (formerly known as TG Channel MKII,) implementation of the TG2 preamp coupled to the 4 band passive equalizer section will sound a little more hi-fi as compared to the other TG2 incarnations we offer; beautiful in its own right, it's a slight hi-fi sheen.

The TG Microphone Cassette—and TG2-500—implementation of the TG2, provides the ability to color the preamp darker or brighter by way of the variable 'Fine Gain' control and compensating in the opposite direction with the 'Coarse Gain;' pretty handy and how its configured on the EMI TG123345 console's microphone input cassettes. Same sound as the TG2 rackmount, however, however, with the added flexibility, your controls will be positioned differently to arrive there.

again, I hope this helps.
Old 11th June 2020
  #3
Very helpful Adam, thank you. And of course the optical compressor on the Microphone Cassette is a bonus. Are the coarse & fine gain controls on the Cassette analogous to the gain and feedback controls on the Chandler Germanium pre, or is that a different circuit entirely? I loved the sound of the Germanium pre when I had an opportunity to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
Hi, I hope this helps...

Your are correct, the EQ sections are different types—EMI EQs were nicknamed 'Curve Bender' regardless of topology,—and both units are great for the sources you've mentioned, however, some things to ponder in your quest...

The TG12411's (formerly known as TG Channel MKII,) implementation of the TG2 preamp coupled to the 4 band passive equalizer section will sound a little more hi-fi as compared to the other TG2 incarnations we offer; beautiful in its own right, it's a slight hi-fi sheen.

The TG Microphone Cassette—and TG2-500—implementation of the TG2, provides the ability to color the preamp darker or brighter by way of the variable 'Fine Gain' control and compensating in the opposite direction with the 'Coarse Gain;' pretty handy and how its configured on the EMI TG123345 console's microphone input cassettes. Same sound as the TG2 rackmount, however, however, with the added flexibility, your controls will be positioned differently to arrive there.

again, I hope this helps.
Old 11th June 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
Very helpful Adam, thank you. And of course the optical compressor on the Microphone Cassette is a bonus. Are the coarse & fine gain controls on the Cassette analogous to the gain and feedback controls on the Chandler Germanium pre, or is that a different circuit entirely? I loved the sound of the Germanium pre when I had an opportunity to use it.
Hi, it's totally different, however, though could share some qualities as an end result. the Tg Opto is a huge bonus in the Tg Microphone Cassette; it has its own dedicated XLR I/O, allowing you to use it separately of the the Preamp/EQ section.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump