The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wots better than the Stam pre and Comps?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm interested in something over the top for this summer for vocals and whatever else
I've heard good things about the Chandler Combo of rs 124 and ReDD 47 and also about the Retro power strip..but can't help but be enchanted by the Stam audio Stamchild 660 and their SA v76 preamp...but looks like the STAM stuff is 2 years away.
So I need help..Im trying to finish my album..
IS the retropowerstrip good enough to fill the shoes of the chandler stuff?
Is the power strip in the same league as the chandler pre comp or the stam stuff?
I've been recording music for long enough so I get that things aren't apples and oranges..
Are there 3 500 series modules that I should get?
Or just go for the retro power strip?
I'm recording my own stuff so I thought that the powerstrip
would be great unless I should get some other channel strip?
I don't have any eq's
but have Phoniex drs2, the NAIL comp,
OSa pres with lundahl trannys, avedis ma5, Chroma pre, and Camden pre..
Yeah plenty of tonal variations but almost no tubes..
thanks!
EDIT..IM NOT BUSTING ON STAM...I JUST CAN'T GET ONE IN THE TIME FRAME THAT I NEED
IF I COULD I WOULD WAIT..I HEAR THEY ARE GREAT! CARRY ON!

Last edited by FOURTHTUNZ; 4 weeks ago at 05:47 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
I'm interested in something over the top for this summer for vocals and whatever else
I've heard good things about the Chandler Combo of rs 124 and ReDD 47 and also about the Retro power strip..but can't help but be enchanted by the Stam audio Stamchild 660 and their SA v76 preamp...but looks like the STAM stuff is 2 years away.
IS the retropowerstrip good enough to fill the shoes of the chandler stuff?
Is the power strip in the same league as the chandler pre comp or the stam stuff?
I've been recording music for long enough so I get that things aren't apples and oranges..
Are there 3 500 series modules that I should get?
Or just go for the retro power strip?
I'm recording my own stuff so I thought that the powerstrip
would be great unless I should get some other channel strip?
I don't have any eq's
but have Phoniex drs2, the NAIL comp,
OSa pres with lundahl trannys, avedis ma5, Chroma pre, and Camden pre..
Yeah plenty of tonal variations but almost no tubes..
thanks!
Tree Audio The Branch mk2 would be my suggestion.

In the 500 series there is the Avedis E12G eq, the Tree Audio L/C 1 compressor, the solid state pulse techniques eq, the Crane Song Insigna tube eq.. all these are very nice, but beside the Insigna, the other ones are solid state. But really great.

But if you’re looking for tube stuff, I’d look in the 19” rack stuff.

Other great stuff is made by Gyraf.. check his website.. its G22 vari mu is very nice and the G23-S tilt eq is very cool, so smooth..(since you already have great preamps, you might want to add something different with tubes).

maybe also a used Pendulum Quartet channesltrip..

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
It’s hard to beat the value of the Powerstrip. Divide the price by three and you’re basically getting a great preamp, pultec, and vari-mu comp for less than $1500 each.

I haven’t used the Tree channel strip but I’ve heard good things.

For tube preamps the Coil CA70 and CA286 are really great. You could get a 286 and an Audioscape Opto for about the same price as the Branch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Things that actually show up in a timely fashion so you can actually use them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Tree Audio The Branch mk2 would be my suggestion.

In the 500 series there is the Avedis E12G eq, the Tree Audio L/C 1 compressor, the solid state pulse techniques eq, the Crane Song Insigna tube eq.. all these are very nice, but beside the Insigna, the other ones are solid state. But really great.

But if you’re looking for tube stuff, I’d look in the 19” rack stuff.

Other great stuff is made by Gyraf.. check his website.. its G22 vari mu is very nice and the G23-S tilt eq is very cool, so smooth..(since you already have great preamps, you might want to add something different with tubes).

maybe also a used Pendulum Quartet channesltrip..

Cheu
Thank you Cheu, that all sounds very good!
Loving the Ma5..I've heard good things about that tree branch.
I thought it would be nice/easier to twist the bigger knobs on a channel strip while Im recording my vocals and I don't have a lot of tube stuff,
so thought It would be nice to have another flavor.
Im really missing some of my old toys :(
I had a vipre and a cl1b..loved those!
thanks again!
Daniel
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
It’s hard to beat the value of the Powerstrip. Divide the price by three and you’re basically getting a great preamp, pultec, and vari-mu comp for less than $1500 each.

I haven’t used the Tree channel strip but I’ve heard good things.

For tube preamps the Coil CA70 and CA286 are really great. You could get a 286 and an Audioscape Opto for about the same price as the Branch.
Thanks for the additional ideas!
I hadn't heard of the audioscape opto.
The coil stuff i've heard good things about.
Gotta try more stuff out!
thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
ok, maybe so channel strips...
The retro powerstrip,the tree audio Branch 2..
THe VOX box or even the Chandler cassette strip(I know not tube)
I know this has been sorta done to death but some of these weren't out
5 years ago..anyhow,
WOTS the best bang for the Buck?

Then there's the retro tube stuff for the 500 series..
Hows that?
Heh thanks for playing

Last edited by FOURTHTUNZ; 4 weeks ago at 06:32 PM.. Reason: last minute question
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
ok, maybe so channel strips...
The retro powerstrip,the tree audio Branch 2..
THe VOX box or even the Chandler cassette strip(I know not tube)
I know this has been sorta done to death but some of these weren't out
5 years ago..anyhow,
WOTS the best bang for the Buck?
The best part of the Powerstrip is the mic pre and the DI(some people like the 2A3 EQ but it just wasn't my cup of tea), The Tree Audio Branch 2 is the mic pre, never used the Chandler cassette but have used the pieces individually and the mic pre and EQ are probably the best parts( TG1 while cool on drum buss, like the API 2500 is a one trick pony type).

You left out the Tubetech ME1Ca probably the only strip out there with a useful compressor( that's if you like the CL1B/CL2A type of compression), but also the most expensive. Also some people really like the MP1A/MP2A mic pre sound and others think its not clear enough, too smooth or "murky".

Quote:

Then there's the retro tube stuff for the 500 series..
Hows that?
Heh thanks for playing
While the Powerstrip mic pre is the most different sounding of any Retro gear(the clearest), the new Retro500 mic pre is even more so. It doesn't sound like any of their other offerings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you’re trying to finish it in under 2 years, don’t give your money to Stam.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The best part of the Powerstrip is the mic pre and the DI(some people like the 2A3 EQ but it just wasn't my cup of tea), The Tree Audio Branch 2 is the mic pre, never used the Chandler cassette but have used the pieces individually and the mic pre and EQ are probably the best parts( TG1 while cool on drum buss, like the API 2500 is a one trick pony type).

You left out the Tubetech ME1Ca probably the only strip out there with a useful compressor( that's if you like the CL1B/CL2A type of compression), but also the most expensive. Also some people really like the MP1A/MP2A mic pre sound and others think its not clear enough, too smooth or "murky".

While the Powerstrip mic pre is the most different sounding of any Retro gear(the clearest), the new Retro500 mic pre is even more so. It doesn't sound like any of their other offerings.
thanks Thrill!
I hadn't considered the tube tech stuff because of the $$ but
I don't think the tube tech is that much more used that the used retro.
hmm you got me thinking...my favorite chain 15 years ago was the groovetube vipre
going into the cl1b.
I'm in the US
how are the import fees from britain?
i found a used one on Reverb..
So what about the tube tech mmc1a?
Its the one with the preamp and the multi band comp and no eq?
I found one of those but I think its around $4k
I think that for recording my own vocals the retro power strip might be the way to go because of the reduced inputs
thank you for the help..lots to think about!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
thanks Thrill!
I hadn't considered the tube tech stuff because of the $$ but
I don't think the tube tech is that much more used that the used retro.
hmm you got me thinking...my favorite chain 15 years ago was the groovetube vipre
going into the cl1b.
I'm in the US
how are the import fees from britain?
i found a used one on Reverb..
So what about the tube tech mmc1a?
Its the one with the preamp and the multi band comp and no eq?
I found one of those but I think its around $4k
I think that for recording my own vocals the retro power strip might be the way to go because of the reduced inputs
thank you for the help..lots to think about!
The most difficult part to get used to on the Powerstrip is the layout( from right to left) and the fact that compressor doesn't have its own input and output control. Its all dependent on what you set the input and output of the mic pre.

Lastly some have been known to have grounding issues.

Again even though the Powerstrip, Tree Branch and Tube tech are all tube mic pres they all sound different.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Do yourself a huge favor and add the Requisite Audio Pal Plus to your list, they are exceptional sounding.

http://www.requisiteaudio.com/pal-preamp-and-limiter/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and add the Requisite Audio Pal Plus to your list, they are exceptional sounding.

Gutted I didn’t snag a PAL from reverb last year. Far too exy new but quite reasonable secondhand when they occasionally turn up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The most difficult part to get used to on the Powerstrip is the layout( from right to left) and the fact that compressor doesn't have its own input and output control. Its all dependent on what you set the input and output of the mic pre.

Lastly some have been known to have grounding issues.

Again even though the Powerstrip, Tree Branch and Tube tech are all tube mic pres they all sound different.
Thanks Thrill I hadn't taken the layout of the powerstrip into account.
I ended up ordering the Retro tube pre and Double wide2 comp
for my 500 rack.
Takes up less space and I think I can operate them a little more easily while
tracking my own vox.
Same with my pheonix drs and the Nail..nice Big Knobs!
Heh hell of a way to select pro audio!
thanks again for the help!
Daniel
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post

Wow, I'd love to hear that!
thanks for the recommend!
Maybe try it out agains some other stuff in the future...
We'll see where this goes..
Probably a 500 series eq
and a pair of M160's next!
thanks!
Daniel
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks Thrill I hadn't taken the layout of the powerstrip into account.
I ended up ordering the Retro tube pre and Double wide2 comp
for my 500 rack.
Takes up less space and I think I can operate them a little more easily while
tracking my own vox.
Same with my pheonix drs and the Nail..nice Big Knobs!
Heh hell of a way to select pro audio!
thanks again for the help!
Daniel
Ok.

If you think you might want a smoother or rounder sound with the Retro 500 micpre, I have 3 NOS Mullards AT7 for sale(shame less plug inserted) that I purchased to replace the tubes when I tried it out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok.

If you think you might want a smoother or rounder sound with the Retro 500 micpre, I have 3 NOS Mullards AT7 for sale(shame less plug inserted) that I purchased to replace the tubes when I tried it out.
You sold your 500 series retro pre, right?
Maybe you should tell us your experience with it..

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
You sold your 500 series retro pre, right?
Maybe you should tell us your experience with it..

Cheu
It wasn't mine, but belonged to client who owns Powerstrip. Project fell through so had to sell it.

When I tested it out, I personally thought it was a little too clean. Doesn't sound at all like the Powerstrip which was the hope( but in all honesty Phil said it wasn't and he had no plans in making a stereo preamp from Powerstrip).

Phil uses modern tubes. The classic NOS Mullards smooths the sounds out more, but its a taste thing. On some mics it sounded better with the originals and on others it was complemented with the Mullards.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It wasn't mine, but belonged to client who owns Powerstrip. Project fell through so had to sell it.

When I tested it out, I personally thought it was a little too clean. Doesn't sound at all like the Powerstrip which was the hope( but in all honesty Phil said it wasn't and he had no plans in making a stereo preamp from Powerstrip).

Phil uses modern tubes. The classic NOS Mullards smooths the sounds out more, but its a taste thing. On some mics it sounded better with the originals and on others it was complemented with the Mullards.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ok.

thanks Thrill!
I should get the pre tomorrow.
Let me know what you want for the tubes.
Peace
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The TG1 Opto in the TG Microphone Cassette, is amenable to a wide array of sources, owed in part to to the Introduction of the Opto, you get that TG color and cover anything from vocals to clipping and blowing up drums; it’s why-for the cassette-Wade designed it that way.

Last edited by adam_f; 6 days ago at 02:53 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Highland Dynamics BG2... just ordered a second one...

Coil Audio 70s

I recently found this and it’s my favorite tube preamp I’ve ever heard Im fairly certain... and absolutely the favorite in my personal collection:

Electric&Co EC7 Tube Microphone Preamp Ampex Electric & Company

Matty builds these by hand and is a sweetheart of a guy.

In general... anything outboard-wise that you’re thinking “Stam”.... if you’re in ‘murica, buy it from Audioscape. Chris’ stuff sounds better than the stuff he’s “cloning”... and it’s so cheap it’s a sin
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Wots Better

I have a SA76 and I do like it but I like my Hairball 76 better. Sa76 can not get as grabby as my Hairball. I also like my distressors better than the SA76.

I heard the AudioScape 76 as well and I dig that more than the Sa76.

I don't have a Stam pre. I do have 3 Stam units, and would love to have more but as you said:
Quote:
IM NOT BUSTING ON STAM...I JUST CAN'T GET ONE IN THE TIME FRAME THAT I NEED
I l do like Vintechs, Bae's, Capi's.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear