The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2020 Vari-Mu with a strong character
Old 21st August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

worth checking the Highland BG1
Gear Head

I’m basically looking for the same thing as the OP. On the top of the list are the Manley, Phoenix, and Highland Dynamics BG1. Mine may end up on the master bus with a Neve MBP and Curve Bender. Or maybe drums or guitar bus...
Anyone had a chance to compare the BG1 to the Phoenix?
-joel
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelhume View Post
Anyone had a chance to compare the BG1 to the Phoenix?
was going to be my next question too!
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I've got the Manley Vari-Mu with TBar and HPF. Great sounding unit, rock solid, killer overall.

I've got a pair of Weight Tank Comps which are also VariMu and sound great as well. Different. They get used on guitars a lot.

I've got a single V Comp from Audio-Scape - essentially a modernized Sta Level. Also great. I'm thinking maybe a bit too heavy for my particular mix bus uses, but really awesome on Bass, vocals, etc..

And....I'm kinda in the market for a stereo pair that I can alternate on 2 Bus with the Manley. Something vibey, but different than the Manley.

Right now, the main contenders are :

Locomotive Audio 14B. Tilts a bit towards a HF lift where the Manley pushes towards warm. Their new direct sales pricing has made them a SERIOUS contender IMO

A second V Comp, but I have the feeling that it will end up on individual tracks more than it would the stereo bus, so it's maybe a touch less of a priority.

And, the runner up for me would be the highland dynamics BG1 stereo unit.
Have you thought about a Tegeler Audio VTC?
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Have you thought about a Tegeler Audio VTC?

Nope. Should I? It would have to be compelling to make my short list which is already $20k long.....
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Nope. Should I? It would have to be compelling to make my short list which is already $20k long.....
Not sure
I have one but don't have another to compare it too. Trying to get a Manley loaner for comparison.
$20k short list? drBill's house of gear huh?
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Not sure
I have one but don't have another to compare it too. Trying to get a Manley loaner for comparison.
$20k short list? drBill's house of gear huh?

Haha...OK,,,,,,my name is drBill and I have a gear problem......
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
That last QES took forever to sell on Reverb. Is it because the designer died or they look so ugly?

I bet a Varis doesn’t sound better than a Phoenix which whooped the Rockruepel I had on trial.
Hi Paul, I'm planning on adding a Vari Mu next year and was thinking of demoing both the Phoenix and RR CompTwo. Interesting to read this about the two then, and glad to know (absolute respect for your opinions)!

Did you think the Phoenix was faaar better than the RR, and can I ask how? (My music leans toward Prodigy-esque breaky material.)

And do you know if the Phoenix can be driven to saturation as hard as the RR (which I read about -- no actual experience yet)?

Cheers
📝 Reply