The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Retro Powerstrip Compressor vs Chandler RS124
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Retro Powerstrip Compressor vs Chandler RS124

Looking into the Retro Powerstrips, and read that the compressor is based off an RS124. Has anyone compared the Powerstrip comp to the Chandler RS124? Is it a similar vibe/sound?

I'm looking into a Chandler REDD47 > 124 combo vs a Powerstrip, so I'm wondering how the two units compare. I've read a lot on the 2a3 Pultec style EQ on the Powerstrip, which is awesome, but I don't know too much about the compressor and the preamp itself, compared to other similar gear such as the Chandler, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Looking into the Retro Powerstrips, and read that the compressor is based off an RS124. Has anyone compared the Powerstrip comp to the Chandler RS124? Is it a similar vibe/sound?

I'm looking into a Chandler REDD47 > 124 combo vs a Powerstrip, so I'm wondering how the two units compare. I've read a lot on the 2a3 Pultec style EQ on the Powerstrip, which is awesome, but I don't know too much about the compressor and the preamp itself, compared to other similar gear such as the Chandler, etc.
There are some similar compression characteristics sonically between the Powerstrip and RS124. I think setting 3 and 4 on the Powerstrip( which are the most useful on it) and attack setting 40050A( the only i use) with release 3 or 4(no fuse) on the RS124.

But the RS124 sets itself far apart with the fuse mode. Fuse mode sets it apart from any tube compressor out there for tracking fast vocals( like rap) with the recovery on fast. Its basically invisibly working and controlling the voice. In fuse and fast recovery mode in the mix it becomes an excellent parallel comp unit.

And without the Fuse mode you can't really replace one with the other( i think you can tell I like Fuse mode).

The powerstrip compressor reminds me sonically of the Retro Sta level and the RS124 sounds like a cleaner and more useable/ flexible TT CL1B?

Neither sonically are what most would consider "big" sounding or "tubey".
Think invisible sounding/compressing tube control.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
There are some similar compression characteristics sonically between the Powerstrip and RS124. I think setting 3 and 4 on the Powerstrip( which are the most useful on it) and attack setting 40050A( the only i use) with release 3 or 4(no fuse) on the RS124.

But the RS124 sets itself far apart with the fuse mode. Fuse mode sets it apart from any tube compressor out there for tracking fast vocals( like rap) with the recovery on fast. Its basically invisibly working and controlling the voice. In fuse and fast recovery mode in the mix it becomes an excellent parallel comp unit.

And without the Fuse mode you can't really replace one with the other( i think you can tell I like Fuse mode).

The powerstrip compressor reminds me sonically of the Retro Sta level and the RS124 sounds like a cleaner and more useable/ flexible TT CL1B?

Neither sonically are what most would consider "big" sounding or "tubey".
Think invisible sounding/compressing tube control.
Hey Thrill glad to see you're still willing to help us part timers out!
I'm looking for a chanelstrip.
I was going for something in the 500 series as far as creating a strip but
it seems as some of the best stuff is in a rack?
Have you tried the STAM stuff? I wanted to get their tube v 72 pre and their 660 stamchild but its going to be 2 years or so.
Is the Powerstrip the bomb? Or should I go for the Chandler 124 and their redd 47?
Willing to spend for something extra special this year..if you got soemhitng in the 500 rack I should get i"d love to hear it!
thanks!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear