The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Next preamp
Old 7th June 2020
Next preamp

So...

Have a few UA610’s, APIs, Neves and Neve clones...

What’s another flavor?

Almost exclusively for male vox.

I’m leaning towards the coil audio 70. But, before I do, thought I’d see what else tickles folks’ earholes
Old 7th June 2020
Not exactly high end, but thinking about the Locomotive Audio Wt 72... anybody have one? That’s Def a flavor I don’t have
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear
I'll keep suggesting what I'm using on my voice, I think depending on the brightness of your mic, I'd go for Aurora Audio gtqc for a bright mic, and Chandler Redd for a less bright mic.

Aurora is big and pillowy, and tight sounding, the Redd is brighter, big as well (really big in my opinion), and less compressed compared to Aurora. Both are excellent.
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear

I have a Chandler TG2 that I use for male vocals. I'm really happy with it. It actually sounds great on anything and has it's own flavour.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear
Locomotive 286. Along the same lines at the Coil 286. Is an alternative.

If you are using ribbons, the AEA preamps I like a lot.

If you want one colorless with a ton of details, the old Grace Preamps(801/201) would contrast what you have. I had two 801's, oh man were they clear. They were brutal, and exposed all other weakness in the tracking. Forced me to get really good and mic choice and placement.

I have not used a Coil 70, but am considering one myself if I start doing more volume of tracking. I am currently using the Locomotive and Vipre.

But it sounds like you are looking for tube color.....Get the Coil 70
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Nut

Would go tubes

I've got a Coil 286S, it's marvellous !
Read the Coil Audio Thread, there's a lot of info there.

On voices, i read there the Coil70 could be too much, so i took the safe route with the 286S. Works really good on all voices, with the whole negative feedback usable, enabling a nice range of possibilities. I'm thinking about buying a C70 now for bass, guitars & Instruments.

Other solutions I saw a lot for voices would be Tree audio the Branch (clear and clean, and with its price and features, it seems to be one of the best bang for bucks choice today) or Requisite Audio Pal (pricy, and could still not test it).

BTW i've got AEA Rpq & Chandler TG2, but those tube preamps are another level above. Be careful though, the Coils do not have a lot of gain, and some greedy dynamic or ribbon microphones would need you to chain the coil with other preamp (some people love the greedy CA70 into CA286) - see this video with all coil : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrRfe5UobFQ

out of topic, but If you tried your AEA ku5a a little more, does it need a lot of gain ?
Old 8th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Would go tubes

I've got a Coil 286S, it's marvellous !
Read the Coil Audio Thread, there's a lot of info there.

On voices, i read there the Coil70 could be too much, so i took the safe route with the 286S. Works really good on all voices, with the whole negative feedback usable, enabling a nice range of possibilities. I'm thinking about buying a C70 now for bass, guitars & Instruments.

Other solutions I saw a lot for voices would be Tree audio the Branch (clear and clean, and with its price and features, it seems to be one of the best bang for bucks choice today) or Requisite Audio Pal (pricy, and could still not test it).

BTW i've got AEA Rpq & Chandler TG2, but those tube preamps are another level above. Be careful though, the Coils do not have a lot of gain, and some greedy dynamic or ribbon microphones would need you to chain the coil with other preamp (some people love the greedy CA70 into CA286) - see this video with all coil : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrRfe5UobFQ

out of topic, but If you tried your AEA ku5a a little more, does it need a lot of gain ?
Thx

The ku5a seems to need about as much gain as an LDC... it’s active, so, it’s got some sort of inline preamp built into the circuit.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Thx

The ku5a seems to need about as much gain as an LDC... it’s active, so, it’s got some sort of inline preamp built into the circuit.
Tree Audio The Branch MK2 gives you a very sweet bax eq and a nice comp for a great price (tube pwr supply as well).. great deal and sounds stellar.

Cheu
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear