The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Closest graphic EQ to Electrodyne 712 or Sphere 900?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Closest graphic EQ to Electrodyne 712 or Sphere 900?

I am in dire need of a set of Electrodyne 712 graphic EQ's. They seem to be ultra rare and almost never change hands. The sphere 900 series are nearly identical just slightly larger inductors, a few more options.

What other graphic EQ would be in the same league and similar electronics, with the same frequencies? It's the last piece of my Cylon voice re-creation and it seems to be one of THE most important parts. I'm looking at the UREI 527A to get me close till I find something.

50,100,200,400,800,1600,3200, 6400, 12800 hz.

Last edited by superjc; 4 weeks ago at 06:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I own a pair of 712 now for a number of years and love them.I use to own a pair of the Sphere 900's as well racked with transformers and I owned some ADM inductor eq's and an Auditronics 110 console and a Massive Passive and don't have most of them anymore because I slimed down my studio and the amount of work .I use it for my own pleasure now..

I would say look for a Sony inductor eq that fit their MXP 3036 consoles if you can still find some,I had a pair and they sounded just like the Sphere 900 eq's..Sorry I don't recall the model number of the sony module but that console has a number of eq options..I believe it was 4 bands if I remember correct..

Another option is the old Filtek mk3, I have a pair of those for years and love them and kept them.

finding any 712's at this point would be pretty hard.
You could try Ken Hersh who now owns Electrodyne and quad eight I believe if he is still around.He might have some electrodyne modules?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer View Post
I own a pair of 712 now for a number of years and love them.I use to own a pair of the Sphere 900's as well racked with transformers and I owned some ADM inductor eq's and an Auditronics 110 console and a Massive Passive and don't have most of them anymore because I slimed down my studio and the amount of work .I use it for my own pleasure now..

I would say look for a Sony inductor eq that fit their MXP 3036 consoles if you can still find some,I had a pair and they sounded just like the Sphere 900 eq's..Sorry I don't recall the model number of the sony module but that console has a number of eq options..I believe it was 4 bands if I remember correct..

Another option is the old Filtek mk3, I have a pair of those for years and love them and kept them.

finding any 712's at this point would be pretty hard.
You could try Ken Hersh who now owns Electrodyne and quad eight I believe if he is still around.He might have some electrodyne modules?
Thanks for the good leads, that MXP 3036 looks like it has a similar 10-band EQ, but they chose a different set of frequencies. There may be a run of 712's made for 500 series but I'm impatient thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
I am in dire need of a set of Electrodyne 712 graphic EQ's. They seem to be ultra rare and almost never change hands. The sphere 900 series are nearly identical just slightly larger inductors, a few more options.

What other graphic EQ would be in the same league and similar electronics, with the same frequencies? It's the last piece of my Cylon voice re-creation and it seems to be one of THE most important parts. I'm looking at the UREI 527A to get me close till I find something.

50,100,200,400,800,1600,3200, 6400, 12800 hz.
You might need to check with Ken Hirsch, or maybe with GS member Silvertone who definitely knows these pieces much better than me.

In the 500 series one of the greatest graphic eqโ€™s is the Avedis E12G, although it doesnโ€™t have the freq points youโ€™re looking for, itโ€™s a gyrator based eq (think of it like a very high quality inductor, no ICโ€™s)..
Great piece, the price is very very fair for its high quality, you might want to give it a try..

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have an extra Spectra Sonics, Spectra Sound 1500, 2 rack space high, 27 band, graphic EQ that matches most of your listed frequency centers. Its low noise, high slew rate via gyrator synthesized inductors. There is pdf manual online to grab with full specs with some searching. Unmeasurable distorsion at the time and S/N Ratio 104 dB below +4 dBv, 20 kHz bandwidth. Band centers are 40, 50, 62, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1.0k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2.0k 2.5k, 3.15k, 4.0k, 5.0k, 6.3k, 8.0k, 10.0k, 12.5k, 16.0k. PM me if interested with your contact info.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Have an extra Spectra Sonics, Spectra Sound 1500, 2 rack space high, 27 band, graphic EQ that matches most of your listed frequency centers. Its low noise, high slew rate via gyrator synthesized inductors. There is pdf manual online to grab with full specs with some searching. Unmeasurable distorsion at the time and S/N Ratio 104 dB below +4 dBv, 20 kHz bandwidth. Band centers are 40, 50, 62, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1.0k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2.0k 2.5k, 3.15k, 4.0k, 5.0k, 6.3k, 8.0k, 10.0k, 12.5k, 16.0k. PM me if interested with your contact info.
Thanks for the good info everyone, I may have a line on a racked set of Sphere EQ's, wish me luck! I'll pm ya if it falls through
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear