The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8040 vs 8050
Old 4 weeks ago
Genelec 8040 vs 8050

Hi everyone.

I’m a happy owner of a pair of Neumann KH120 in my home studio. So I recently heard a friend use his Genelec and it sounded so good.

After countless sleepless nights, I decided to get the Genelec. I’m looking for a used pair. And 2 options were available which are

8040 & 8050

They are both THE SAME PRICE.

Any suggestions? I do contemporary gospel songs. (Hillsong & Elevation). Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you’re planning to use these alongside the KH120’s I think getting the 8050’s would make more sense, because the 8040’s have roughly the same size drivers. You want a second set of monitors to sound different from the first.

A word of caution, however. You could get the same monitors as your buddy and not have the same experience in your room as you did in his. Second, as a recording and mix engineer you don’t primarily need your nearfield monitors to simply sound “good”, but they need to help you make your mixes translate well. If your monitors sound too good, then they’ll make you think your mixes are ready before they really are.
Old 4 weeks ago
That’s what I thought too! 8050 will fit better with my kh120. In your experience, will the Focal Twin or the 8050 sound better for mixing?
Old 4 weeks ago
I think I like the 1" tweeter of my 8350s better than the 0.75 " tweeter of my 8340s.

PS: Why not the 8350s?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
As far detail capabilities, I do not consider the Genelec 8040 or 8050 to be a real major upgrade from a KH120 except the extended bass response. I know they are tuned a bit different, but as far as it's sound (it's transients, it's decay precision, it's freq. response - except the lower bass on the genelec - ,it's capabilities to correctly show small setting changes on mixing tools like EQs, compressors, it's spacial representation capabilities etc) it's pretty much a side grade.
If I were you, I would rather buy a Neumann KH 750 DSP subwoofer, with that you would have a much more extended bass response. So in my opinion a KH120 + KH 750 sub system is way more capable than a Genelec 8040 or 8050.

My 2 cents
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonepaul View Post
As far detail capabilities, I do not consider the Genelec 8040 or 8050 to be a real major upgrade from a KH120 except the extended bass response. I know they are tuned a bit different, but as far as it's sound (it's transients, it's decay precision, it's freq. response - except the lower bass on the genelec - ,it's capabilities to correctly show small setting changes on mixing tools like EQs, compressors, it's spacial representation capabilities etc) it's pretty much a side grade.
If I were you, I would rather buy a Neumann KH 750 DSP subwoofer, with that you would have a much more extended bass response. So in my opinion a KH120 + KH 750 sub system is way more capable than a Genelec 8040 or 8050.

My 2 cents
I use that setup and it's really niiiicccccce.

BUT!

I think KH120 are very shallow in matter of depth and 8xxx Genelecs are one of the best I've heard in that matter in that budget. Also they sound quite different.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear