The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
thinking of upgrading neumann KH120a monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A good poweramp and a pair of ATC SCM12 or Quested H108 are much better than the Neumanns.
Old 4 weeks ago
here's a recording of the right speaker which is worse than the left, just a warning don't have this on fully blast! it sounds nasty: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbcpimfq8r...noise.wav?dl=0
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

caps in the power supply need to be replaced. it's very easy and inexpensive to repair yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
nice work, I'm going to take them apart today and de-solder the old caps out, should be able to tell if it's worked by the end of this week! kind of excited now, if it works I'll have saved a lot of money.

any recommendations for suppliers of electronic components UK based?
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
nice work, I'm going to take them apart today and de-solder the old caps out, should be able to tell if it's worked by the end of this week! kind of excited now, if it works I'll have saved a lot of money.

any recommendations for suppliers of electronic components UK based?
Free and fast delivery. Filter by size etc. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passi...um-capacitors/

I was going to suggest CPC but I've just seen they have put their free delivery min up to Β£17.50. (ah, express delivery is Β£2.99 plus VAT). CPC are sometimes slightly cheaper but RS have a wider range. Both sometimes only have packs of 5 when you only want 2.

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electronic...ic-capacitors#
Old 4 weeks ago
no turning back now! I've made a start today, here's a photo of the guts for anyone interested:
Attached Thumbnails
thinking of upgrading neumann KH120a monitors-kh120a_repair-1.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
thanks for the help, I found RS to be the best, I didn't realise that panasonic are now made in malaysia not japan, still they look good quality though, only two caps to re-solder in and I can test it, unfortunatley I made a mistake and ordered the wrong type for one part of the circuit so will have to wait until monday to get the correct part, it was the last two caps ...annoying but it happens kids, gonna have to wait until monday before I know if it's worked or not.
Old 3 weeks ago
it worked! no more noise issues, it's now completely silent even when you put your ear right up to the speaker, amazeballs now I have a second one to re-cap, saved myself a fortune as well
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
it worked! no more noise issues, it's now completely silent even when you put your ear right up to the speaker, amazeballs now I have a second one to re-cap, saved myself a fortune as well
This is great news!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
This is great news!
thanks, just finished re-capping the left speaker and it's also now noise free/silent again, was super nervous when first turning it on again, such a relief!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks, just finished re-capping the left speaker and it's also now noise free/silent again, was super nervous when first turning it on again, such a relief!
Great!
Now you can sell them and go after your plan

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Should be good for another 6 years now! It will be fun when all these DSP based monitors eventually go wrong, they'll be hell to fix.
Old 2 weeks ago
if anyone ever has this same problem with their KH120A speakers then I'd be more than happy to help, just send me a PM on here.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear