The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording live at Electric Ladyland Studios
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Recording live at Electric Ladyland Studios

SM58s everywhere

Does the video teach us anything about (cheap) dynamic mics ...?

Old 5th June 2020
Gear Addict

It does teach us that even high end studios must cut corners somewhere.
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
It does teach us that even high end studios must cut corners somewhere.
Haha! Don’t you think they have a few unobtanium mics in a closet somewhere?
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Haha! Don’t you think they have a few unobtanium mics in a closet somewhere?
I'm sure they do, but only bring them out for the fully vetted (and insured) clients - or... they had to sell them to pay for the video shoot. ;-)
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure they do, but only bring them out for the fully vetted (and insured) clients - or... they had to sell them to pay for the video shoot. ;-)
lol - but seriously now: i keep reading these kinda stories but i never experienced this practice in 35+ years:

in my view, you're paying for EVERYTHING the studio includes (except backline: not everyone needs a bösendorfer, b3, svt, ac30, ludwig silver sparkle kit, mini moog, fairlight etc.) - at least, that's the way i experienced things in the old world and i didn't practice things any differently in my own studios:
i find it perfectly understandable that an engineer might change gear at any time during a tracking session and i wouldn't wanna become a bean counter...

so: is it really standard practice in the new world to rent the über-mics but on demand or even on an hourly basis?!
Old 5th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
Quote:
lol - but seriously now: i keep reading these kinda stories but i never experienced this practice in 35+ years:

in my view, you're paying for EVERYTHING the studio includes (except backline: not everyone needs a bösendorfer, b3, svt, ac30, ludwig silver sparkle kit, mini moog, fairlight etc.) - at least, that's the way i experienced things in the old world and i didn't practice things any differently in my own studios:
i find it perfectly understandable that an engineer might change gear at any time during a tracking session and i wouldn't wanna become a bean counter...

so: is it really standard practice in the new world to rent the über-mics but on demand or even on an hourly basis?!
Unique recording use to have 4050s etc for free. You had to rent even the U87 if you wanted it. This was the late 90s. Right before it closed ?
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

The guy at 16:31 looks like Sam Elliott..
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
Unique recording use to have 4050s etc for free. You had to rent even the U87 if you wanted it. This was the late 90s. Right before it closed ?
amazing/weird imo... - thx for reporting!
Old 5th June 2020
Gear Guru

I'm of a mind that if its there, its meant to be used. Rentals from a rental house are one thing, but studio inventory is part of the daily or hourly rate. A lot of my buddies leave things at the studio. I tell them straight up, that it may get used on sessions.
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear

The norm back then

I used to work at Electric Lady all the time, way back in the 80's.

Everything besides a few standard outboard pieces, was A La Carte.
Everything!

No one batted an eye, as this was the norm back then!
And is exactly what we used to do at my place "Beethoven Studios" because we learned from the best~!
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear

Jack white is an Uber Gearslutz he could have any mics he wants hooked up

They definitely picked the 58s
Old 7th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Jack white is an Uber Gearslutz he could have any mics he wants hooked up

They definitely picked the 58s
His clean mic was an sE V7 or maybe V7x
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear