The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Highland Dynamics BG2
Old 1st June 2020
Highland Dynamics BG2

Just a quick post...

Y’all should definitely buy one of these immediately. I have STAs, LA2As... I have lots...

BUT, this thing bout made me sh*t my own damn pants

Also, Bryce Gonzales is a cool dude, a real artisan and an active GS member.

It’s not cheap... BUT, since you’ll probably stop using several other boxes, think of it as sort of a mortgage consolidation type loan deal... (it’s actually really reasonable for what you get)

That is all
Old 1st June 2020
Gear Maniac

It’s a really awesome piece
Old 1st June 2020
Gear Maniac

Have heard a lot of great things about these. What do you guys tend to use the BG2 on?
Old 1st June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Just a quick post...

Y’all should definitely buy one of these immediately. I have STAs, LA2As... I have lots...

BUT, this thing bout made me sh*t my own damn pants

Also, Bryce Gonzales is a cool dude, a real artisan and an active GS member.

It’s not cheap... BUT, since you’ll probably stop using several other boxes, think of it as sort of a mortgage consolidation type loan deal... (it’s actually really reasonable for what you get)

That is all
Tell us more about why you like it compared to other Vari-mu’s or tube comps you have STA etc. What about the BG2 made you **** your pants ?

Looks like a nice piece.
Old 1st June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkDNA View Post
Tell us more about why you like it compared to other Vari-mu’s or tube comps you have STA etc. What about the BG2 made you **** your pants ?

Looks like a nice piece.
It’s one of those “sounds like a record” pieces... I’ll post more when this build is finished and I get more time with her!
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Addict

Welcome to the club. We have known this for years. Don’t try the BG1 you’ll have a heart attack.
Old 2nd June 2020
It’s a bass MACHINE. Blew my mind.
Old 2nd June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Welcome to the club. We have known this for years. Don’t try the BG1 you’ll have a heart attack.
Im thinking either doing that or getting another bg2 and strapping them for when I need “old school” on the 2 buss
Old 2nd June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Im thinking either doing that or getting another bg2 and strapping them for when I need “old school” on the 2 buss
You should definitely try the BG1. It sounds great. Still in the same family as the BG2 just a bit different. And it's so unbelievably flexible. Great addition to your BG2.
Old 3rd June 2020
AB3
Lives for gear

I love my BG2 - and I have tried tons of compressors over 30 years or more. Now I have that difficult question - do I get another BG2 or a BG1. Somehow I think the answer is both! Great manufacturer too with excellent communication!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
I know you have tried both. I already have a Phoenix. Which one do I need. Guide me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I have the BG1 in front of me now and it's a great piece! Don't sleep on the super slow attack and release settings!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

BG 1 or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
I know you have tried both. I already have a Phoenix. Which one do I need. Guide me.
That’s a hard thing to do. Your production techniques may vary from mine. I have found a way to get close to the BG2 with the BG1 settings, it’s different however, but still very good. You can not make the BG2 sound bad. The BG1 can go over board, in a good way. With the BG1 you can split it and use one side on kick, one on snare, one on bass and the other on vocal. Dump it on the drum buss or 2buss. I have found using the Redd mic direct into the BG1 great for vocals. I also love the MPEQ -1 into the BG1 for vocals. I have a large selection of compressor’s, but, I am very happy with the BG1. It is a work horse. You can not go wrong with 2 BG2’s on 2buss either, it is a wonderful vocal compressor too. People need to understand that these pieces have been designed by a working engineer, under real working conditions, to use on commercial projects.They are not boxes just thrown together with a cheep price tag, like some of the junk that is out there. They are built by hand and to be used as tools, not as something that might work or think it’s as good as a copy of a real piece of gear. I would suggest demoing them if possible in your own room, with your hands on the knobs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

BG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
I have the BG1 in front of me now and it's a great piece! Don't sleep on the super slow attack and release settings!
It’s different isn’t it. I feel he just got it right on this. Thanks Bryce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksinframes View Post
Had the top off my pair of BG2’s yesterday balancing the 6BC8 tubes. Afterward, just to see how closely they were working, I spent a little time just listening to mixes through the pair doing exactly what you mentioned.. slow attack, super slow release. I rarely use them with the release set this way. Seeing the needle just kind of staying put and swimming in gain reduction made my brain think I was overdoing it, but my ears sure told me different. Sounded so nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
Had the top off my pair of BG2’s yesterday balancing the 6BC8 tubes. Afterward, just to see how closely they were working, I spent a little time just listening to mixes through the pair doing exactly what you mentioned.. slow attack, super slow release. I rarely use them with the release set this way. Seeing the needle just kind of staying put and swimming in gain reduction made my brain think I was overdoing it, but my ears sure told me different. Sounded so nice.
It might be my favorite thing about the BG1 so far, though there's plenty to love.

I also like pushing it into a bit of distortion. That's another underrated option to have available.

Plus it just sounds good.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
I’m “this close” to getting a second BG2...

How do you dig it on busses? On the 2 buss?

I’m thinking it might be the golden ticket for the singer songwriter and old school stuff that I do a lot of

Or is it too gooey?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I am thinking the same thing, getting a second unit. Still debating it,
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Second BG2 for bus work is cool. I don’t think it’s too gooey. British mode is more transparent and open up top so I find that more useful on the bus, but American can be cool. The real trick is calibrating them so they behave the same and the stereo image remains balanced. The 6BC8 tube in each unit can age/wear differently. When I use my BG2’s as a stereo pair, I run tones through them to make sure gain reduction and output level is the same. You can obviously link the side chains. But sometimes I like the width better when it’s not linked. Really depends on the material. Someday I’d like a BG1 for stereo duties... and a HD Delta 4-7 preamp
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Second BG2 for bus work is cool. I don’t think it’s too gooey. British mode is more transparent and open up top so I find that more useful on the bus, but American can be cool. The real trick is calibrating them so they behave the same and the stereo image remains balanced. The 6BC8 tube in each unit can age/wear differently. When I use my BG2’s as a stereo pair, I run tones through them to make sure gain reduction and output level is the same. You can obviously link the side chains. But sometimes I like the width better when it’s not linked. Really depends on the material. Someday I’d like a BG1 for stereo duties... and a HD Delta 4-7 preamp
Gotcha... I’m lucky as my bg1 is brand spanking new...

I’m gonna go for it
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear