The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
phoenix audio drs-q4 mk2
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear
phoenix audio drs-q4 mk2

I must say just picked up this pre-amp eq and surprised how good it sounds and build quality is over all super. Surprised it doesn’t get noticed much.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Everyone that has one seems to speak really highly of it. Definitely got my attention - although I'm quite happy with my flavor or transformer pres right now.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Can you use the eq separately ?
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
The eq is connected to the pre so you can’t use it by itself however the pre can give u some mojo or u can back off and get it transparent sounding or anything in between it’s super lovely sounding I wasn’t expecting it to be this fun to mess with. Eqs are very musical and don’t sound harsh even cranked.
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Warren at Zenpro carries them and has done a mod of some sort... I’m thinking of picking one up...

It’s basically a 1073 type EQ yah?
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Warren at Zenpro carries them and has done a mod of some sort... I’m thinking of picking one up...

It’s basically a 1073 type EQ yah?
I have a 1073 eq as well as the Phoenix drs eq4 mk2 (long name) - they are in the same family meaning each very musical but slightly different in how they get to what they do. The Phoenix is surprisingly underrated and I must confess if it wasn’t for a recommend by my music store rep I wouldn’t have even consider it. But he said try it so I did and it’s superb
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

Preamp is of the family but still
Quite different. Personally I think it’s one of the best preamps around and is as punchy and faster than a 1073 but not quite as thick in the low mids, which works well when your stacking he tracks .
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear
Phoenix pre is great stuff, no question. Kinda api punch with neve warmth, but pretty balanced in terms of frequency spectrum, slightly modern tone cause highs a little brighter than vintage, but damn warm. Captures a lot of detail. Highly recommended.

The eq is nothing like a 1073. Firstly, its completely gyrator based. It's pretty clean sounding, but, with 5 bands, 3 freqs each (I think), and 18db boosts/cuts, it can do some pretty crazy sonic reshaping. I really like it for making a synth sound like its kinda from another planet, you can get some odd formanty stuff from it. Haven't really used it for more normal stuff, not sure the bands are narrow enough for surgery, nor sweet or throaty enough for mojo, but it's pleasant and flexible and supremely useful sorta bread-and-butter eq.

The pre is stellar. Underrated, doesn't break the bank either. Kinda like Great River in that way, often overlooked, but works great. My setup is basically aml neve clone, capi api clone (a little darker, mid-rangier, warmer, punchier than phoenix), phoenix 'in between neve and api' sound, and tube pres (though I could see adding a GR again at some point). Four flavors I enjoy.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear
Curious about how the Mod on this works that I heard mentioned. Can anyone weigh in
Old 9th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Curious about how the Mod on this works that I heard mentioned. Can anyone weigh in
According to their website, they just change the high pass filter corner frequency from 120 Hz to 45 Hz, apparently "making it more suitable for mix buss work".
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
According to their website, they just change the high pass filter corner frequency from 120 Hz to 45 Hz, apparently "making it more suitable for mix buss work".
Do I think this is a mod one could do themselves , has Anyone out there actually done the mod or have it done
Old 16th June 2020
Gear Head
Just picked this up for 700 GBP, looking forward to testing it on the mix bus. I've already got a pair of DRS-1R pres, so I'm familiar with the transformer sound, but I'm curious about the EQ.

I originally had my eye on a pair of Neve 551's, but I couldn't pass up two great pres, and 2 eq's for 700 quid (I'm sure it was £2100 new?). Hopefully it will do the trick on my two bus.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

That’s a score!!!
Old 18th June 2020
Lives for gear
Does anyone know if the mod can be done as a do it your self or does it need to be sent in
Old 22nd June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Grenade View Post
Just picked this up for 700 GBP, looking forward to testing it on the mix bus. I've already got a pair of DRS-1R pres, so I'm familiar with the transformer sound, but I'm curious about the EQ.

I originally had my eye on a pair of Neve 551's, but I couldn't pass up two great pres, and 2 eq's for 700 quid (I'm sure it was £2100 new?). Hopefully it will do the trick on my two bus.
Score! Where’d you find that deal? Digging it?
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
Score! Where’d you find that deal? Digging it?
I got it on eBay, pretty much bought it as soon as the listing went live. Immaculate condition as well.

It arrived yesterday and I've been putting it through it's paces today and my first impressions are: outstanding.

The EQ never gets harsh, and the weight the 80z band adds to kick drums is seriously good. I try not to use buzz words like 'musical', 'warm' etc, but this unit can really focus a track and increase the depth, it makes everything a bit more 3D. I'll need to work with it to nail down the perfect settings, but I'm a happy camper right now. It pairs perfectly with a Drawmer 1968 on the mix bus.

I sent an EP off for mastering two weeks ago that I now want to re-process with this, ughh. I can fire some samples up if anyone is interested.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
It takes line level and while the signal goes through the pre, the transformerless input and controllable output level allow you to control how much the preamp affects the tone to some degree. I don't know if having the signal pass through the preamp affects the tone any more than it does on any transformer balanced eq.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head
I'm loving this thing. Setting the output to just over half way adds some serious punch and focus to the mix bus. One place I noticed a great difference was on drum fills, it just makes toms punch so well.

If I had to describe the colour when pushed, fromthepuggle has nailed it. It's someway between a Neve and API. A touch punchier/brighter than a Neve, but with more warmth than an API.

Driving it definitely gives the low end some punch, but the highs/high mids can come out a hair crispy if you apply it to a mix that already has a lot of energy up top. Like most things, mixing into it definitely helps.

I was previously using an Elektron Analog Heat to drive my mix-bus, but I was never 100% convinced with it in that application. This unit does exactly what I wanted, and more.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Lovely preamp. The proportional q eq is fantastic, one of my favourites. Build quality is perfect. Great great piece.
📝 Reply