The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blackbird replaces their two SSL 9000K with…. S3 controllers
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Blackbird replaces their two SSL 9000K with…. S3 controllers

words fail me.

Blackbird replaces their two SSL 9000K with…. S3 controllers-blackbird_c-f.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Blackbird replaces their two SSL 9000K with…. S3 controllers-blackbird_c-f.jpg  
Old 28th May 2020
It looks like Room C was changed to a Dolby Atmos mix and playback environment in the world with surround sound monitors. Not sure what it focused on before.

Last edited by Glenn Bucci; 28th May 2020 at 08:46 PM..
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

easy to understand as i assume they are trying to make some money - analog is though!

after 30 years of use, i just sold my mci jh500/a800 including all analog outboard earlier this month and replaced everything with a(nother) studer vista desk - digital rules!
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Well I’ll take the 9000 off their hands. Such junk should be properly disposed of!
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
easy to understand as i assume they are trying to make some money - analog is though!

after 30 years of use, i just sold my mci jh500/a800 including all analog outboard earlier this month and replaced everything with a(nother) studer vista desk - digital rules!
You sold... all your outboard...?!
preamps comps and eqs?
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
You sold... all your outboard...?!
preamps comps and eqs?
yep - well, almost all: i kept two amek/neve cib's and two grace m103's (and of course some digital efx devices).
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Guru

When Massenburg designed Studio C it was always intended to have a modular vibe to it. He often used a smallish predecessor to the S3 (sorry I don't remember the name of the ole AVID grey thing). He'd have it kind of in a corner and would be in the room with the musicians. There's a video of him doing that (or was) on YouTube. Other engineers would use the room differently. The 9K was parked there after Massenburg took his gig at McGill.

Blackbird is a very client driven facility. If there's a demand for something, they are pretty damn good at pivoting to make that happen. Someone probably wanted it set up for ATMOS and Blackbird obliged.

I've been slightly obsessed with C since GM posted about it here and elsewhere. I've heard him speak about it, and I've even been there and hear the unreleased 5.1 mix of Thriller there. That room is a complete marvel!

Studio F, at one point was on a long term rental. I believe the only thing that belonged to Blackbird was the console and monitors. I don't know if that is still the case, but it could be the tenant decided they needed a more ITB workflow and saved themselves the console rental fee. Or, maybe that person has moved out.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Yes, Massenburg's room was an experiment or a proof of concept, and he used to have a 32ch D-Control in there, and track with the musicians in the room. Here's the video someone mentioned:

The room is now a Dolby Atmos room, and it doesn't make sense to mix on a console for that

Anyhow, that one of the busiest and best equipped studios in the world is selling away flagship consoles is quite something.

If you put it together, an 80ch 9k, a 3348HR and a lot of outboard, it would cost $2M in current dollars.
All that is now been replaced by a MBP, a computer program and a cheap fader controller. As someone wrote:

Oh yeah!
In France, a skinny man died of a big disease with a little name
By chance his girlfriend came across a needle and soon she did the same
At home there are seventeen-year-old boys and their idea of fun
Is being in a gang called 'The Disciples'
High on crack and totin' a machine gun
Time
Times....

Old 29th May 2020
Interesting. I bet both rooms sound even better now though!

For a mix room, the problem is that people come in, marvel over the desk....then put 2 channels up and mix ITB, cos they don't have the budget to hire the room again for the minor recall changes requested 2 weeks later.

Which means that when someone comes in and DOES want to mix on the desk - it hasn't been used for 6 months so issues develop.

It's a bit weird replacing a desk with a controller in a tracking room (is the 2nd one of these a tracking space?) if that's what's happened.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

They’ll probably save more on the power bill in a year than I’ve invested in my whole studio. These times they are a changing, those big 9k’s are a money pit.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

It's all about the outboard and mics of course. The times they are a changing however. Again.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

its difficult enough tomix surround on a analog console..divergent panning anyone ? less alone atmos.
i have a client with 3x 64+ channel SSL's ..2 channels and monitor section are all that gets used.
as noted above...lower power and cooling needs...and a much smaller acoustic footprint....adios grande turd. You paid your way but times change.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
... when someone comes in and DOES want to mix on the desk - it hasn't been used for 6 months so issues develop.
Most of the gear in my neck of the woods is at right around 2.5 months right now.
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Most of the gear in my neck of the woods is at right around 2.5 months right now.
Ha - and will possibly hit the 6 month mark in some places too!
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Interesting. I bet both rooms sound even better now though!

For a mix room, the problem is that people come in, marvel over the desk....then put 2 channels up and mix ITB, cos they don't have the budget to hire the room again for the minor recall changes requested 2 weeks later.

Which means that when someone comes in and DOES want to mix on the desk - it hasn't been used for 6 months so issues develop.

It's a bit weird replacing a desk with a controller in a tracking room (is the 2nd one of these a tracking space?) if that's what's happened.
Studio F is also a mix room AFAIR
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
They’ll probably save more on the power bill in a year than I’ve invested in my whole studio.
I'd spend some of that on sprinklers and fire extinguishers. I've never seen another room that was so arson-ready.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
its difficult enough tomix surround on a analog console..divergent panning anyone ? less alone atmos.
i have a client with 3x 64+ channel SSL's ..2 channels and monitor section are all that gets used.
as noted above...lower power and cooling needs...and a much smaller acoustic footprint....adios grande turd. You paid your way but times change.
i think no one is crazy enough to use an analog desk for film mixing anymore and i can't think of a music release which 'needs' more than 5.1...

(i did some classical work in 7.1.4 but frankly, i think it's pretty much pointless to fly around objects, besides that fact that only a very, very small amount of people care about anything more than stereo - and i'm tempted to not even call it true stereo, considering the fact how most people got their hifi, bluethooth speakers, boomboxes etc. positioned!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
They’ll probably save more on the power bill in a year than I’ve invested in my whole studio. These times they are a changing, those big 9k’s are a money pit.
ime expenses for power consumption are way lower than those for maintenance, especially when the desks are getting older (and the claim one needs to let the desk burn on end is a myth)...
Old 29th May 2020
The kids these days all want extensive editing capabilities ('cause they need it) and have little need/desire for that big fat wide console sound. Their ears have been conditioned to low fi MP3 4 bit audio so they don't have any need for quality beyond that.

I've seen this around here when a nicely fixed up console that sounds amazing is left off in the corner collecting dust while a crew all gathers around a Pro Troll video screen.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear
They just set it up that way so I can go in with my laptop and plug in and run FL Studio lol. It's sad but I can't tell you how many times I've done this and never used the console, I just wanted the space so I can be creative, and get great mics and gear. I have tons of respect for outboard but you wouldn't catch me dead using faders and consoles to mix, too tedious to recall.

Last edited by hellohead; 29th May 2020 at 06:42 PM..
Old 29th May 2020
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

When you spend this type of money on Speakers and Acoustic Design, its helpful to remove the giant monster that sits in front it and sucks power out of the wall socket and thins out the air particles
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Guru

On the rare occasions when I've been able to take an ad client into Conway or Glenwood or the like, I always shove up a bunch of faders so it looks like they're getting their money's worth.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
On the rare occasions when I've been able to take an ad client into Conway or Glenwood or the like, I always shove up a bunch of faders so it looks like they're getting their money's worth.
People are so ****ing gullible.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
People are so ****ing gullible.
Not really -- they've seen lots of photos and video of studios, and they've never seen two faders up and the other 62 down. I'm totally familiar with the reality of the situation, and I'm still a little horrified when I see that.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not really -- they've seen lots of photos and video of studios, and they've never seen two faders up and the other 62 down. I'm totally familiar with the reality of the situation, and I'm still a little horrified when I see that.
Haha that's amazing.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

To be fair it does free up a bunch of space and there are things I would rather do than recall 150 channel mixes in a room that costs a couple grand a day.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Consoles today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
words fail me.

I’m going to stick my nose where is probably doesn’t belong. But what the heck...

All the folks who see this and perhaps agree or disagree should keep in mind one super important aspect. Mixing has taken on an entirely different workflow over the past 10 years. However when tracking a bunch of musicians together( yes believe it or not this still happens a lot) a console is still imvho and 35 years of design and engineering experience is the ONLY way to go. Having a wonderful sounding analog desk with great mic pres and eq’s dynamics routing and cue facilities along with great monitoring is absolutely essential. A bunch of scattered pres and monitor controllers is somewhat of an add hock way of working. I’ve done it and it’s a real pita. So when mixing you can choose to only sum or use the full features if you like. All in all a console in most ways is still the best centerpiece for a studio working with tracking and mixing music.
Hey just one mans opinion.
Cheers to all.

Last edited by Skip Burrows; 30th May 2020 at 01:37 AM..
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
When you spend this type of money on Speakers and Acoustic Design, its helpful to remove the giant monster that sits in front it and sucks power out of the wall socket and thins out the air particles
So, you mean that all those decades of Tom Hidley and Kinoshi.ta custom made massive speakers and custom rooms, flat dow to 20Hz, were cheap? Because those studios didn't install simple 19" mixers, if I'm not mistaken

Even the early digital consoles like the Capricorn were as monster as their analog counterparts.

Funny thing is that the new speaker set at the Massenburg room for the Dolby Atmos might have cost MORE than what they got for the 9080, given current 9K prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Burrows View Post
I’m going to stick my noise where is probably doesn’t belong. But what the heck...

All the folks who see this and perhaps agree or disagree should keep in mind one super important aspect. Mixing has taken on an entirely different workflow over the past 10 years. However when tracking and bunch of musicians together( yes believe it or not this still happens a lot) a console is still imvho and 35 years of design and engineering experience is the ONLY way to go. Having a wonderful sounding analog desk with great mic pres and eq’s dynamics routing and cue facilities along with great monitoring is absolutely essential. A bunch of scattered pres and monitor controllers is somewhat of an add hock way of working. I’ve done it and it’s a real pita. So when mixing you can choose to only sum or use the full features if you like. All in all a console is most ways is still the best centerpiece for a studio working with tracking and mixing music.
Hey just one mans opinion.
Cheers to all.
I agree, and that's why the good tracking rooms like British Grove, Air, AR, Metropolis, Capitol and such will ALWAYS be console based
Old 29th May 2020
my guess is that someone there heard the plug-in alliance SSL plug-ins and thought they were just as good so sold off the big console? maybe they did this to keep the cost down to clients? if so good luck to them, money's going to get tighter for a lot of musicians in a post covid 19 world.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
my guess is that someone there heard the plug-in alliance SSL plug-ins and thought they were just as good so sold off the big console? maybe they did this to keep the cost down to clients? if so good luck to them, money's going to get tighter for a lot of musicians in a post covid 19 world.
PA hasn't modeled the 9000K yet, just the J. I think Softube is the only company that has taken on the 9000K.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethg View Post
PA hasn't modeled the 9000K yet, just the J. I think Softube is the only company that has taken on the 9000K.
9 k and 9 j are virtually the same modules. Virtually No difference in sound at all.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear