The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anamod ats - 1 2020
Old 24th May 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
Anamod ats - 1 2020

Is anybody still using Anamod ats1 on the buss ? Or another better tape solutions? ( please not real tape , I’ve been there
Old 28th July 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Bumpity bump!
Old 29th July 2020
  #3
AB3
Lives for gear
Worthwhile question!
Old 29th July 2020
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Audionaut's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
Is anybody still using Anamod ats1 on the buss ? Or another better tape solutions? ( please not real tape , I’ve been there
Also interested...
Old 29th July 2020
  #5
Gear Head
 

Yes. The ATS-1 is strapped to my buss. I wish I had 16 channels of ATS-1.
Old 29th July 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
And did anybody compared it with any other HW tape emulation in 2020?
there is a couple of newer things....
Old 30th July 2020
  #7
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
I bailed the ATS years ago.I still have a couple mothballed tape machines.so many plug ins that sound good.and the flexibility of automation,parallel etc
Old 30th July 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
I actually adore my ATS 1. I use it on every mix. It does a great thing where it seems to tame the nasty high frequencies a bit. Everything seems more cohesive as well. I also track through it. Guitars always. Drum overheads always. I often use the 351 card when tracking often and the ATR card while mixing. I have done extensive blind AB comparisons with tape plugins and I personally much prefer the Anamod. That's just me. I also have Overstayer stuff modular channel and HG2. They are all different but great. If I had to pick one though to keep, it would be the Anamod. At this level, it is extremely personal though. Anamod behaves better at lower input levels I find. It's also subtle. Sending a hot mix through it is not so great either. I always up the level after the Anamod. To be clear, I have never personally owned a tape machine and compared it to the Anamod. I'm sure the real tape machine does something even better. It doesn't concern me though. I love the Anamod. For me, the flexibility outweighs any downside of owning tape machines for a non tech person like myself. I heard from the company that they were going to reissue the machine this year along with all the cards. Is that true Anamod??? Lots of love from me. One of my fav purchases in fact.
Old 31st July 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Wow what a contrast of 2 opposite ends in the recent posts!
Old 31st July 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
Still have my Anamod. Love the 351 card. Used to use the 102 on the 2 buss at final print until I purchased a SSL fusion. Now the Ats-1 is usually on the guitar buss at mixdown with the 351 card. Another trick is to take what you think is a "good sounding" guitar track and send it thru a Capi Vp28 in line mode then into the anamod with the 351 card. Now compare the 2 side by side and you will want to throw the original track out. Top end smoothed out. Big and more 3 dimensional with a nice touch of tape compression.
Old 31st July 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
carloff's Avatar
and anybody compared recently to Zulu, Roger Mayer 456 and others?
Old 31st July 2020
  #12
Gear Head
 

My understanding of the Zulu (could be wrong!) is that it is some sort of magneto dynamic infundibulator (I have constructed a MAGNETO-DYNAMIC INFUNDIBULATOR) with passive EQ while the ATS-1 is an analog computer implementing some variant of the Bomb Factory tape simulation plugin (could be wrong here too!). Both cool but likely quite different.
Old 31st July 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Been using it for about 6 years
Still going strong
Tape hiss about half way with every tape simulation added....I love to drive this thing hard... I like to hear the VU meters banging

Love this thing.....
Old 1st August 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
but they're just a fancy colour module (diyre) as best I can tell.

Nebula on a RPI4 is the future man! (so much irony)
Old 1st August 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

I would like to see it in a battle with the mayer 456 and overstayer mas and considering the price of both new would still be cheaper than a preowned anamod from my findings!
Old 1st August 2020
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
flipnaut's Avatar
 

Bereich 03 audio density and overstayer Mas... Also the Zulu might be as good as the anamod.

when you look at the price...
Well I would buy the Mas, density and Zulu instead of one anamod.

Maybe the anamod is for mastering studios where they are mastering everyday an album. But I read that famous engineers use the Mas as last mix buss unit in the chain.
Old 1st August 2020
  #17
Gear Head
 

I think you want all of the above...
Old 4th August 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnaut View Post
Bereich 03 audio density and overstayer Mas... Also the Zulu might be as good as the anamod.

when you look at the price...
Well I would buy the Mas, density and Zulu instead of one anamod.

Maybe the anamod is for mastering studios where they are mastering everyday an album. But I read that famous engineers use the Mas as last mix buss unit in the chain.
No I wouldnt think the Anamod is limited to mastering. It is a great box for everyday use in the studio whether an engineer or a producer.

I use mine on the inserts of the console and I track everything through it. Especially drums and bass. I think that is the best use of the Anamod, I personally would not use it on the master bus. It is subtle but with every track running through the end result is quite good in my experience.

So yeah I run all my tracks through it, as I would be if I was relying on tape
Old 5th August 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
No I wouldnt think the Anamod is limited to mastering. It is a great box for everyday use in the studio whether an engineer or a producer.

I use mine on the inserts of the console and I track everything through it. Especially drums and bass. I think that is the best use of the Anamod, I personally would not use it on the master bus. It is subtle but with every track running through the end result is quite good in my experience.

So yeah I run all my tracks through it, as I would be if I was relying on tape

I agree with this thinking. Tracking through Anamod ATS rocks. I can't bring myself to do that with the overstayer, HG2 etc unless in parallel. (which I do sometimes)
Old 7th August 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I agree with this thinking. Tracking through Anamod ATS rocks. I can't bring myself to do that with the overstayer, HG2 etc unless in parallel. (which I do sometimes)
Yeah I think it’s the best use of the Anamod albeit it can take time doing so but it’s still easier then tape
Unless of course you have multiple instances of one

But then that’s not cheap especially with the extra cards.
Old 11th August 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
 
ghostwriter's Avatar
Still love MINE.

Dave,
When is the new card coming out?
The flashing light is driving me insane.
Old 11th August 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
Still love MINE.

Dave,
When is the new card coming out?
The flashing light is driving me insane.
Dave said "I'm currently not in the loop" with regard to Anamod when I emailed him last year. I don't 'think' he's directly affiliated with the company anymore? Perhaps that info is wrong. Maybe someone can confirm. In any case, the company told me via email last year ATS was being reissued.

They said
"As for the ATS-1, we are still shooting for a 2019 production run"

Last edited by Moondog007; 11th August 2020 at 08:37 AM..
Old 11th August 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 
ghostwriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Dave said "I'm currently not in the loop" with regard to Anamod when I emailed him last year. I don't 'think' he's directly affiliated with the company anymore? Perhaps that info is wrong. Maybe someone can confirm. In any case, the company told me via email last year ATS was being reissued.

They said
"As for the ATS-1, we are still shooting for a 2019 production run"
That was an attempt at a joke. Swing and a miss. 😀
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1969 views: 285864
Avatar for rob S
rob S 25th June 2019
replies: 83 views: 7624
Avatar for Rsantana
Rsantana 22nd July 2015
replies: 3391 views: 372007
Avatar for illsoulprod
illsoulprod 20 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump