The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2Bus Hardware Decisions
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Head

Quick update:
I ended up going with the Neve MBP. All I can say is i’m very happy with that decision - thanks, everyone for your input!

I think the next buy may be a pair of Miad LCPQ 4040’s

Feel free to add more suggestions for others who thumb through this thread as well!
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Maniac
I think upgrading your Apollo 8p and analog summing would be the next step. You have great gear but the 8p conversion is not great. I compared the 16mkii with the Apollo x and the X is way fuller for me. Still there’s better d/a. So if you’re processing analog conversion is super important and summing will give you more space/depth/width. Vintage maker makes great summing units. With your SB just buy any passive one and upgrade your interface so you have 8 channels of great d/a and at least 2 of a/d for capture. To me that conversion is the weak link. I’m looking at having revive audio or BLA mod my Apollo x but also comparing with a mytek 8x192 soon....hard to know without direct comparison.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusicNY View Post
I think upgrading your Apollo 8p and analog summing would be the next step. You have great gear but the 8p conversion is not great. I compared the 16mkii with the Apollo x and the X is way fuller for me. Still there’s better d/a. So if you’re processing analog conversion is super important and summing will give you more space/depth/width. Vintage maker makes great summing units. With your SB just buy any passive one and upgrade your interface so you have 8 channels of great d/a and at least 2 of a/d for capture. To me that conversion is the weak link. I’m looking at having revive audio or BLA mod my Apollo x but also comparing with a mytek 8x192 soon....hard to know without direct comparison.
I forgot to mention I just bought the Apollo x8 to replace my audient asp880 that died on me. It’s definitely an upgrade conversion-wise.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey all, I really appreciate all the feedback so far!

I’m now choosing between a few things to complete my 2 bus chain which currently is:
ApolloX8>Silver Bullet>Audioscape bus comp(SB insert)>Overstayer MAS>Neve MBP>ApolloX8

Sometimes I only use one of these units, and sometimes a touch of each. I want an EQ for 2 bus/tracking/mastering and some tube mojo because i’m all solid state. I have around a 3k budget.

The units i’m looking at are:

- API 5500
- Pair of Zod DI’s (would purchase soon after if I got the API or another stereo EQ)
- Miad LCPQ4040’s
- Black Box HG-2

The API would be great because I tend to run individual tracks (if I have the luxury of extra time) or groups through the SB with some of the other aforementioned units and could get that API flavor during tracking, mixdown, or mastering. I prefer the Miad’s because they sound very natural and a bit more versatile to me, especially for mastering, but the price difference is significant. For those experienced using the Miad’s...would they be worth waiting for?

I’m a bit hesitant on the ZOD’s because there aren’t any demos using them for two bus duties and i’m not sure how versatile they’d be, if they’d soften transients too much, or be too gritty/smeary - I work on everything from classical to progressive metal and electronic.

I think I have it narrowed down to grabbing half of the API 5500/ZOD combo, or going for the very sexy Black Box now. I have quite a few recording, mixing, and mastering projects lined up and wait times for the Miad’s and ZOD’s are a factor. That said, I have always been a big proponent of “buy once, buy right”, and am willing to wait for the optimum euphonic experience

Thanks for humoring my rambling, it helps to type these things out while getting feedback from other audio nerds like myself. Does anyone have experience with these units and could give me some opinions on the direction they would take?

Side note: Aside from my questions, If anyone else has similar queries or thoughts i’d love to keep this thread going as a repository for this subject!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisionary View Post
Hey all, I really appreciate all the feedback so far!

I’m now choosing between a few things to complete my 2 bus chain which currently is:
ApolloX8>Silver Bullet>Audioscape bus comp(SB insert)>Overstayer MAS>Neve MBP>ApolloX8

Sometimes I only use one of these units, and sometimes a touch of each. I want an EQ for 2 bus/tracking/mastering and some tube mojo because i’m all solid state. I have around a 3k budget.

The units i’m looking at are:

- API 5500
- Pair of Zod DI’s (would purchase soon after if I got the API or another stereo EQ)
- Miad LCPQ4040’s
- Black Box HG-2

The API would be great because I tend to run individual tracks (if I have the luxury of extra time) or groups through the SB with some of the other aforementioned units and could get that API flavor during tracking, mixdown, or mastering. I prefer the Miad’s because they sound very natural and a bit more versatile to me, especially for mastering, but the price difference is significant. For those experienced using the Miad’s...would they be worth waiting for?

I’m a bit hesitant on the ZOD’s because there aren’t any demos using them for two bus duties and i’m not sure how versatile they’d be, if they’d soften transients too much, or be too gritty/smeary - I work on everything from classical to progressive metal and electronic.

I think I have it narrowed down to grabbing half of the API 5500/ZOD combo, or going for the very sexy Black Box now. I have quite a few recording, mixing, and mastering projects lined up and wait times for the Miad’s and ZOD’s are a factor. That said, I have always been a big proponent of “buy once, buy right”, and am willing to wait for the optimum euphonic experience

Thanks for humoring my rambling, it helps to type these things out while getting feedback from other audio nerds like myself. Does anyone have experience with these units and could give me some opinions on the direction they would take?

Side note: Aside from my questions, If anyone else has similar queries or thoughts i’d love to keep this thread going as a repository for this subject!
These are two quite different things you’re looking for.. like apple and oranges, if you compare them and it’s clear that you want both
They do different things to the signal...
You need to decide if you need an eq or a saturator.

You mentioned you were looking for a tube unit for some tube enhancing/smoothness? So why not “combine” things and get a nice tube eq?

(Sure the HG-2 is a saturator unit and not an eq, as said a different thing from an eq, so you should decide what YOU REALLY NEED).

The Gyraf G23-S (you could switch between tube or solid state operation), is a tilt eq with an added 3 band eq. Stereo only, but you could track through it or stem of course.
It has somewhat “tape-like” qualities.. it’s very silky, smooth and soft and elegant sounding in tube mode, more “punchy”, cleaner, “direct” in solid state mode..

Very nice unit and not a usual suspect, for some unknown reasons.

Another one might be a pair of Crane Song Insigna, 500 series unit.. I like them quite a bit, smooth and clean not too much tube vibe, but nice and very versatile imho.

what about a used Massive Passive?

the CAG HDE-250 is a clean but very musical eq that I love for both tracking and mixbus/mastering. Solid state though, so maybe not what you’re looking for? (like a gml or sontec eq).

The 5500 is a good eq, but would instead get a pulteq solid state or tube for bus work, or one of the aforementioned options above, although the 5500 will work too, but again is solid state. It’s quite personal at this point.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
These are two quite different things you’re looking for.. like apple and oranges, if you compare them and it’s clear that you want both
They do different things to the signal...
You need to decide if you need an eq or a saturator.
Yep, you got me - I need it all! I’m just trying to weigh the benefits of both, rather unsuccessfully, heh. I know this is a rather subjective space, but anecdotes can still be useful in lieu of a hands on demo.

The Gyraf looks like a great piece of kit, but I’m looking for something a bit more surgical. I realize the API or Miad’s are not conventionally “surgical” - I have plugins for that . I’m looking for vibe and size while also retaining punch. The Massive Passive sounds huge, silky, and incredible, but can be a little pillowy for my liking at times. With the saturation and transient eating qualities i’m getting from the Silver Bullet and Overstayer i’d like either another tube color piece that doesn’t lose punch like the HG-2 or an EQ with similar qualities. Hopefully that makes sense.

I’ve also been eyeing this: https://www.ironageaudioworks.com/v2
I really love supporting smaller builders and would love to hear experiences with this company, or this unit in particular.

I’ll definitely check out the other EQ’s you mentioned - thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

RND 5033 adds a nice transformer touch with EQ sections disengaged. I’m not certain which transformers are shared across their platforms but I think I read the ones in the 5033 are a little different than the portico II channel and 5088. It’s not a stepped unit so probably not a go to for stereo but it’s a gem piece of kit. But again maybe your monitoring setup and room allows you to cheat with a unit like this on 2 Buss. 🤷🏽
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

For anyone interested, I ended up purchasing the HG-2 for a number of reasons, one being that I feel tubes are not emulated as well ITB, and EQ is certainly passable. That said, i’m still planning on purchasing a hardware EQ for mastering and 2 bus duties - I think i’ll be saving up for the Miad’s next
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I love my Thermonic Culture Rooster 2 on the mixbus. It's a whole different colour option to what you have - and obviously a cracking mic-pre as well (I love it with ribbons). I use it as well as the Silver Bullet - usually after it in the chain. The EQ is a strange beast and it took me a while to warm to it but when it works it's fabulous - there's a lot more to the various EQ shapes than meets the eye and they can do totally different things on different tracks depending where all the excitement is in the mix - lots of experimentation required - not the most versatile box in the world compared to a Silver Bullet but it's very different to what you already have. The pentode/triode switch gives the box two distinct flavours, on material that's trying to offend Pentode can add aggression, 95% of the time though (for mix) I go with Triode. Guitars and synths sound lovely through it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
For anyone interested, I ended up purchasing the HG-2 for a number of reasons, one being that I feel tubes are not emulated as well ITB, and EQ is certainly passable. That said, i’m still planning on purchasing a hardware EQ for mastering and 2 bus duties - I think i’ll be saving up for the Miad’s next
Nice one - I posted before I saw this update.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Nice one - I posted before I saw this update.
All good - I appreciate it! Always looking at different pieces anyways... 🙃
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
All good - I appreciate it! Always looking at different pieces anyways... 🙃
Not really looked at the HG-2 before - looks really cool. Good luck.
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Not really looked at the HG-2 before - looks really cool. Good luck.
It definitely is cool piece...and it looks cool in the rack!
Attached Thumbnails
2Bus Hardware Decisions-3195c787-6200-49ca-8dc8-29d4fe9cdf9c.jpg  
📝 Reply