The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mytek users!
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

Mytek users!

Hi I just got one of the mytek converters in the white face version.

I've been trying to set the levels for each channel using the little recessed screws. It seems that to calibrate the channels to identical level, each channel requires a different screw setting.

Is this the situation for you?

Thanks!

Old 31st October 2002
One with big hooves

I set the gains on my older Mytek to -14dBfs = 0VU when I bought it. I'm not sure if each trim pot is at the same point in it's rotation or not, nor do I really care. It's the kind of thing that you don't usually need to adjust once you set it.
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

I don't know the Mytek's but in most quality gear, the trimpots used for calibration are multiturn types and their value at any given point of physical rotation is not necessarily related between different ones. For that they would have to closely match them which would serve no purpose since you normally set them in some sort of calibration mode and forget them unlike pots on the front of a multi-channel piece of equipment where you are trying to match settings all the time. Even the best stuff doesn't have really tightly matched pots, hence the need for expensive switched-position controls on mastering-grade equipment.

Just my $0.02!
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

I asked because I was wondering if it was f'd up. I bought it used.

Anyone know of a website where I can download some test tones and test levels to help calibrate with?
Old 31st October 2002
A test CD is always a good thing to have around...

Has 440

SMPTE

Tone sweeps

Levels

White / pink noise

Etc
Old 31st October 2002
If you're tracking with it and using it to mix to 'two bus' digital you will most definitely need to reset the trim between the two.
Old 31st October 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Anyone know of a website where I can download some test tones and test levels to help calibrate with?
If you've got a mac you can use this:

Make a Test Tone

Hope that helps.
Old 31st October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nick

If you've got a mac you can use this:

Make a Test Tone

Hope that helps.
I'll have to check that out. I've always used the Signal Generator plugin in Pro Tools. Pretty simple but works for some things.
Old 31st October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
If you're tracking with it and using it to mix to 'two bus' digital you will most definitely need to reset the trim between the two.
I don't follow your thought process here. Why would you need to reset the trim pots between tracking and mixing? What changes?

I notice my Mytek 8X96's need weekly recalibrating because the pots slip a little more than I would like. I recalib. the D/A, when the voltage at the output gets lower than 1.220 (1.225V = 0dBFS referenced to 1khz at -15dB).
Old 31st October 2002
Quote:
I don't follow your thought process here. Why would you need to reset the trim pots between tracking and mixing? What changes?
It's a headroom issue. It's not so simple an issue as turning down the ouput of the mic preamp (or compressor) or the console output. They need to stay at optimum levels. Generally I find that I have to set an A/D to -18 or -20 when tracking (especially with really transient material like percussion). Compression helps a little, but I don't like to over do it....I don't generally use fast attack times anyway. For an entire mix I can set the ADC anywhere from -16 to -12 (about +4 to +8 in real world) depending on the type of music and the amount of compression on the two bus. A whole mix is generally more controlled, and after running the mix to tape I want to transfer to digital as hot as possible. Sorry, that's as technical as I get, it's all instinct and ears from there...
Old 2nd November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Nathan, that's an interesting approach, and one I've not heard of before. Allowing more headroom for tracking certainly makes sense. At mix time, I often rely on compression to knock down peaks more than I would like to. If I had more room to work with because the tracks had a higher ceiling, I could generally preserve more dynamic range.

If I don't get sick of rolling out the converter rack for calibration each time I want to record or mix, this might handle that issue fairly well. I'll try it.

Old 3rd November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
At mix time, I often rely on compression to knock down peaks more than I would like to. If I had more room to work with because the tracks had a higher ceiling, I could generally preserve more dynamic range.
Yep, that's what it's all about. Good Luck Jax.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search