The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 1073DPX vs BAE 1073 vs Aurora GTQ2
Old 29th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
You're absolutely right. And don't forget about luxury wall wart power supply!
Oh.. yeah..

But hey.. their quality is LEGENDARY..
Produced to the EXACT same specifications of the original..

..with a wall wart pwr supply..

So from that answer I understand that:

1. Didn’t reply to my question if they produce from scratch in the UK or simply assemble the preassembled board to get the “made in the uk” tag. (although they might have machines in the uk.. but I don’t know for sure, I’d be surprised.. but might be possible of course).

2.that line/quote means absolutely nothing in terms of FACTS.
It’s like when a regime claims that they’re absolutely transparent, without any proof of that. Blabbering at its best.

AMS, please, come back to your senses!

I don’t need a marketing literature, but QUALITY components and a manufacturing design that is meant to last at least a decade (since your prices are not in the lower tier) and being serviceable with ease without throwing away the whole board.

And I’m not even talking about sound.
I suggest everybody to test the stuff for themselves, get your own experience and opinion, but taking reliability and serviceability into account as well.

I guess I need to go..would like to invest my time differently..
(even if it pisses me off reading stuff like the above marketing BS, like if I never opened up an original module and extensively compared..)

Cheu
Old 2nd May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I corrected my post, although I don’t know if they assemble them there or produce from scratch there. Have you more insight?

Are you working for AMS or have a business relation/interest? if so, please, put that information in your signature, these are the forum rules.

This is NOT what I meant. It’s not particularly easier to repair..
Trashing the whole board and REPLACING it with a new one (because a component has gone bad or a cold solder joint) is NOT repairing, and as said it’s a disposable practice that our world no longer can afford.

Plus some components might be too close to others and with thin pcb traces and the lower temperature needed to solder smd components you might get colder solder joints.. (like also some ams customers, and I imagine others manufactuers as well, experienced in some units).
So I’d not call this easier to repair.
It’s cheaper, because it requires less time and since the board is smd made and not expensive, then it’s a “viable” solution from en economic point of view.

It’s a similar “thinking” as in most consumer electronics.. like tv’s and such.. they place condensers close to heat sources, so they know that they’ll have a limited lifespan, so in 5yrs it’s cheaper to buy a new one and trash the old one for a condenser gone bad that was intentionally placed there, this is plain stupid (I’m not saying that ams is placing components to reduce their life span, I’m just making the analogy in building cheap and trashing the whole board because of costs/time advantages).

Cheu
Hah. No, I' don't work for AMS or anyone in the music biz. I am just a middle-aged schlep with a studio and a bunch of guitars. I'm also pretty handy with a soldering iron.

I mis-worded my post on repairing SMT. You are of course right. I meant to say the exact opposite. Through-hole is MUCH easier to repair and I generally prefer it for something I may end up working on or modifying. I agree with your whole section there. I will try and edit...
Old 2nd May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
You're absolutely right. And don't forget about luxury wall wart power supply!
Yes. I hate the wall-wart too. Even worse is the connector they used that plugs in the back. What a joke. I will likely mod mine with something more robust. It's cheesy for sure.

But...power supplies don't sound like anything. SMT doesn't have a sound either. Certainly not to my old ears anyway. And with better ergonomics, connectivity and at less than half the cost compared to the BAE piece at the time I was looking, I scooped up the AMS/Neve piece.

All that said, I agree with the general points you're making. If the cost were comparable or even closer, I may very well have gone in BAE direction. As much as budget allows, I'm happy to pay something of a premium for build quality, for ease of repair, for supporting smaller domestic manufacturers, etc. I don't have religion about this stuff. To me, it's mostly a tool and like most, I still have a budget. But I'm also not immune to the fetishism of beautifully made hand built stuff.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

I have spent time A/b’ing a real Neve 1082 against Bae 1073dp, ams 1073dpa, aurora, heritage and chandler Ltd1. My conclusions are that they are all just shades apart from the real deal. I found the ltd1 to be the closest and the aurora to be the furthest (still in a good way).

Someone said earlier in this post about the Bae being soft and wolly. I would totally agree as the Bae has a softer high end with a low mid bump. To some people this might be why they say it makes things sound bigger. But when A/b’n against a real neve it just was softer than the real deal.

The Ams was a little lighter on the bottom and pointy on top.

Heritage was in between the Ams and Bae.
Old 26th July 2020
Gear Nut

You described exactly what I've heard.
Imho Bae has a soft sound, but can be wooly and slow sometimes.
Ams Dpa/Dpx has a tight sound, but can be too edgy/sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
I have spent time A/b’ing a real Neve 1082 against Bae 1073dp, ams 1073dpa, aurora, heritage and chandler Ltd1. My conclusions are that they are all just shades apart from the real deal. I found the ltd1 to be the closest and the aurora to be the furthest (still in a good way).

Someone said earlier in this post about the Bae being soft and wolly. I would totally agree as the Bae has a softer high end with a low mid bump. To some people this might be why they say it makes things sound bigger. But when A/b’n against a real neve it just was softer than the real deal.

Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Was this the Heritage elite or 80's series?
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

The heritage I got to try was the dma73
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a BAE 1073MPF. By wooly do you mean cloudy? Did you feel the LTD-1 or any of the others were inherently better preamps?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

I've got a BAE 1073D pre/EQ.

And THE last word that comes to mind when describing it would be woolly.

If you have a BAE 1073 and it sounds "woolly" maybe it's broken!

U47 > BAE 1073 pre/EQ = detailed, thick, slightly saturated (to taste) classic larger than life rock n roll sound.

We'll at a least my normally working unit sounds like that.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a BAE 1073MPF. By wooly do you mean cloudy? Did you feel the LTD-1 or any of the others were inherently better preamps?
I love the ltd1, especially for vocals. I have had them all and the ltd1 is still in my rack along with a neve 1082.

The Bae just has a little less highs and a little more low mids compared to both the neve and Ltd. Because of this, to some people it comes across smooth and big, and too others it’s wooly.

I can promise you this, you won’t go wrong with any of the preamps we are talking about. I just think some pre’s get pushed on this site more than others because of the name.

I have found some amazing pre’s during my quest that barely get spoke of on this site compared to the names BAE and GTq2. When the Ltd came out everyone was raving about it and now you barely here about them.

Ohh and if you want BIG and beautiful, go check out a martech. Another amazing piece.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I've got a BAE 1073D pre/EQ.

And THE last word that comes to mind when describing it would be woolly.

If you have a BAE 1073 and it sounds "woolly" maybe it's broken!

U47 > BAE 1073 pre/EQ = detailed, thick, slightly saturated (to taste) classic larger than life rock n roll sound.

We'll at a least my normally working unit sounds like that.
You imply that people who say the BAE is “wooly” have a broken unit. Have you actually had a real neve or ltd side by side, same session, to try out.

Would love to hear what the differences were to you.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You imply that people who say the BAE is “wooly” have a broken unit. Have you actually had a real neve or ltd side by side, same session, to try out.

Would love to hear what the differences were to you.
Maybe not actually "broken" .... I was being a touch flippant (too much watching House MD over lockdown :-)

But you know how it is, sometimes a description of a piece of gear just doesn't match with your own experience of that unit and you're left scratching your head thinking .... really.

I've used over the decades, original Neve units, AMS units and a few others take on the 1073 and the BAE unit, for me, is closest to the Neve sound of old.

My BAE 1073D sounds very detailed across the range, thick, that classic larger than life sound - the detail in the sound is the opposite of what I would call "woolly"

But hey, this is all so subjective - the only way to buy any pro audio is to demo, demo, demo.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Maybe not actually "broken" .... I was being a touch flippant (too much watching House MD over lockdown :-)

But you know how it is, sometimes a description of a piece of gear just doesn't match with your own experience of that unit and you're left scratching your head thinking .... really.

I've used over the decades, original Neve units, AMS units and a few others take on the 1073 and the BAE unit, for me, is closest to the Neve sound of old.

My BAE 1073D sounds very detailed across the range, thick, that classic larger than life sound - the detail in the sound is the opposite of what I would call "woolly"

But hey, this is all so subjective - the only way to buy any pro audio is to demo, demo, demo.
Compared to a Neve, yeah i agree it's pretty close, I still think the bass on a 1073 is a bit tighter than the BAE, I felt like the BAE was a bit loose in the bass and dark, which is why I kept my aurora because its a bit brighter than a Neve but it's really tight in the bass. Always depends on what you're doing, what mic you're using etc.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
...why I kept my aurora because its a bit brighter than a Neve but it's really tight in the bass.
It's a pretty sweet DI for bass, as well.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

The new Neve 1073s work on pretty much everything I've tried it on. Every mic, every source. Can't say that about many Pre's. Although I do have some combinations that sound better (e.g. Fearn + R84), I wouldn't have a problem tracking any project and any of my mics through the 1073s. Great Pre.
📝 Reply