The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My reissue U67 after Klaus Heyne, and mic pre suggestion
Old 1st April 2020
My reissue U67 after Klaus Heyne, and mic pre suggestion

Just got back my U67 RI from Klaus and.... WOW! What a difference.

I had originally quite liked this mic, frankly, but it's a totally different game now, with a surprisingly different frequency response. I'd read all the commentary written on the reissue, especially by him, but it didn't bother me and I wasn't looking to get it modded. But then a #@$%er dropped it while putting it up, and I had to send it to Klaus for inspection or repair. As a part of that I asked if he would improve it and he agreed.

I immediately redid some basic vocal test clips I had made when I first got it brand new.

First, the low end is now so much fuller and resonant - in comparison it sounds downright missing in the old clips, like in that VK shootout. Then, there was a high-mid forwardness that I thought made the sound "exciting" and would help it cut through, now it sounds like that was actually just boxiness and harshness, again, when heard against the new clips which instead sound a bit mid-scooped. The room, position, pre, converter and even tube were all unchanged, btw.

And then, I opened it up and flicked the S2 switch off (disconnecting the wire i.e. disengaging the RF filter) and... Oh my. This is where it got just beautiful. The low mids got fuller, the mids flattened out or something and the mic itself sorta disappeared like really good mics are supposed to, and even yours truly sounded lovely through it at this point lol. I finally had that giant smile you have working with something you are happy to own, and that sense of relief that your money has been well spent on it. That "never letting this one go" feeling, usually lasts a few months at least heh

I obviously can't have anyone else come over to sing through it right now, but at least with what I am hearing of myself, this is now a keeper. It's certainly not a bright mic and will need a gentle uplift in the highs come mix time; I tried boosting 12K with broad Q using an EQP-A and it sounded "mix-ready".

As soon as I can get a real singer or two back in here, I will ask them to repeat some of their performances done with the mic before, and post them side-by-side here. Until then I will have to just sound like a shill - sorry, I am not posting my singing on here to be available to be laughed at for eternity! lol

I've used briefly/in passing a few vintage 67s over the years and know the general spread of sound, some are airier some are deeper some are darker, whatever. They always work, they're always nice. I don't think they have anything on this one now, in my mind I just have one of those. I'm very pleased.

I've spent a lot of time and much more money on much smaller differences between pres and transformers and converters; this was a huge and material result - highly recommended!

Last edited by WithUsInHatred; 2nd April 2020 at 08:30 PM..
Old 1st April 2020
Having said that bit about spending too much on differences between pres, I will flip right around and ask for suggestions for a new pre, with the caveat that it be significant. I have a couple of 1073s I barely use including a St Ives laden vintage one, and a bucket of 70s 312s which are my daily go-to. Whenever I try vintage tube pres like vintage V72/V76 variants or 610s or 737s they sound either dark or thin. Not sure modern clean pres are a good pairing either though, dunno, I'm asking.

I can't really go to studios right now and try various things out like I normally would. Meanwhile I have a month or here sitting here with any dealer willing to ship me anything, and a sizable outstanding credit with one of them.

Now that I have a few mics that sound perfect to me, and my room, compressor collection, instruments and converters are exactly as I want, I'd love to get a different pre to pair with this 67 as it sounds now. Something that's apart from and a bigger difference from a 1073 or API than they and their variants are from each other, including variations of them like Wunder or Shadow Hills which I've tried.
Any suggestions? Will any of these be a big change?
Tree Audio Branch
Chandler TG
LaChappell 583/etc
Coil 286/70
Teegarden Audio
UTA MPEQ

Or is my only choice to go modern and clean like Forssell/GML/NPNG, etc.?? Do those work well with classic mics?
Old 1st April 2020
Clips? Before after???

What did it cost?

I'm currently testing myself if you checked my thread about u67/u47 preamp. What I personally wouldn't like is a 1073 on a u67. It's already a bit thick in the 800hz area and a 1073 would just accent that.

I really liked how the spider sounded on the clean setting on my u67. Dave Hill said the Flamingo is the same circuit as the Spider. I'd really recommend that if you get a chance to try. Super punchy, real sounding but still with a vibe!
Old 1st April 2020
Ooh I didn’t think of Cranesong, good suggestion, thanks! Yeah the 1073 is too low middy for me with most vintage style mics, beautiful but too much.

I’ll pm you cost. No shareable clips, I know that’s frustrating. Can’t get singers in here right now.
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

i'm using either dave hill, grace design or millennia preamps for my original u67, recently overhauled by peter drefahl.
Old 2nd April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'm using either dave hill, grace design or millennia preamps for my original u67, recently overhauled by peter drefahl.
So those clean pres DO work well with a 67, always wondered. I've never tried any of them. Thanks!
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
So those clean pres DO work well with a 67, always wondered. I've never tried any of them. Thanks!
very well imo - i could use amek/neve, focusrite or summit but prefer the previously mentioned 'clean' sounding preamps (if not using my studer pres)...
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Having said [. . .], I will flip right around and ask [. . .]
I love flips. . .I doubt I've ever agreed with anyone on everything - especially myself.

I'm most always attracted to clean first. . .and tend to stay there.

So yes, I would likely also go for the grace [if I didn't already have the Digital Audio Denmark, Pro Tools MTRX]. Surprisingly, for me, there are only a few instances where I'm wishing for a tube/colored pre.

Consider, though, that I am a composer/musician first - with limited engineering experience - and am working only on my own 'stuff'. . .and don't need to impress or make anyone else happy.

Looking forward to your audio samples with/without the mod,

Ray H.
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

As a fellow Klaus’d u67 user, I find the mod really does help deal with some of the lower mid/upper bass buildup that the 67s are known for and they do just fine with 1073 style pres, though lately I’ve been LOVING it through the Pacifica and a pair of old raindirk series four modules I found. Both of which are (to my ear), considerably cleaner than a 1073.

The klaus’d 67 is a thing of beauty.
Old 3rd April 2020
So that's two more nods for transparent (but great) pres; I've actually never tried any. Thank you both!

Happy to be in the Klaus'd 67 club. I find myself learning that when experts tweak the gear you already have and want to love (especially gear that matters more: instruments, mics), you get a far greater return than just the trial-and-error method so far of buying and selling variations until something fits.

I had sent a couple of troublesome cheaper guitars to be gone over by a masterbuilder and now they are my best playing ones that I just can't put down. Cost nothing in comparison to how much I have wasted trying to buy the right gear off the shelf.
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

I spoke to Klaus about U67RI mods...it seems that the mod you did for your U67RI at $500 was for a bass starved capsule (so yours was one of the ones that came from the factory with the lack of bass), and to install a switch for the S2. According to Klaus, the full U67 mod that he does with the waiting list, is a $3000 job that involves a lot more than the work. Has anyone here done the full $3000 mod?
Old 3rd April 2020
Three thousand?? Yikes, had no idea. What does he do for the full mod?

Now I want that lol.

Last edited by WithUsInHatred; 3rd April 2020 at 04:24 PM..
Old 4th April 2020
Gear Addict

Klaus did his full mod on my vintage 67 a few years ago. It's the same mod he's done for many artists and producers, including Tommy Lipuma, whose klaus'd 67 was used on most of the Diana Krall records.

The mic is incredible. It often needs no eq. It is the first choice for vocal mic around here but is in every way a universal transducer. For vocals here it goes into a GML preamp and a Magic Death Eye compressor and then on to PT.
Old 6th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
Klaus did his full mod on my vintage 67 a few years ago. It's the same mod he's done for many artists and producers, including Tommy Lipuma, whose klaus'd 67 was used on most of the Diana Krall records.

The mic is incredible. It often needs no eq. It is the first choice for vocal mic around here but is in every way a universal transducer. For vocals here it goes into a GML preamp and a Magic Death Eye compressor and then on to PT.

That's great to know! I might just have to queue and pony up for the full mod next...

And again, clean pre! I see the light clearly now, thanks everyone for that.
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

I had the pleasure of singin on the Tommy Lipuma 67
Al Schmidt was engineering at Avatar Studios
and I remember asking what mic it was ?
Tommy smiled and said it was the Klaus modded Diana Krall mic
Ill never forget that session
RIP Tommy
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Would love to hear clips of the Klaus u67 if anyone has any. Checking out the Tommy+Diana Krall records ....
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Funny enough Al Schmitt has spoken very highly of the reissue.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

What doesn't he!
Plus Al likes TLM 103's, just like everybody here.
Chris
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ooh I didn’t think of Cranesong, good suggestion, thanks! Yeah the 1073 is too low middy for me with most vintage style mics, beautiful but too much.

I’ll pm you cost. No shareable clips, I know that’s frustrating. Can’t get singers in here right now.
From your list I’d definitely give a try to the Tree Audio the Branch MK2, great piece.
Also if clean and tube I’d also try to check out the Pendulum Quartet (if you can find one used).

On the clean side of things I’d try to get my hands on these:
- Dave Hill Europa (or maybe the Flamingo mentioned above)
- NPNG
- Forssell SMP-2
- ADT TM 101

Cheu
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Would love to hear clips of the Klaus u67 if anyone has any. Checking out the Tommy+Diana Krall records ....
go to spotify and search "daniela soledade." Nearly everything of hers was tracked with the klaus'd 67.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
go to spotify and search "daniela soledade." Nearly everything of hers was tracked with the klaus'd 67.
Thanks! Sounds great.
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
and there is the Mic Right !!! BEautiful Sounding Track !! obvious Lip-Sync but i had my eyes closed !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF5JMWter9w
Old 20th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
From your list I’d definitely give a try to the Tree Audio the Branch MK2, great piece.
Also if clean and tube I’d also try to check out the Pendulum Quartet (if you can find one used).

On the clean side of things I’d try to get my hands on these:
- Dave Hill Europa (or maybe the Flamingo mentioned above)
- NPNG
- Forssell SMP-2
- ADT TM 101

Cheu
Thanks Cheu! Trying to get my hands on a few of these. Gotta be cautious with purchases in these trying times. Other than that, looking forward to it.
Old 21st April 2020
Gear Nut
My use is for acoustic guitar, and I have a Gordon Model 5 in my recording chain with the goal of transparency / realism. I would suspect a Gordon preamp would let you hear what your mic really sounds like.
Old 3rd September 2020
Here for the gear
U67 Re-Issue Test

I got a RI U67 and it sounds amazing. First thing I did was install a NOS EF86 tube in it. The tube definitely makes a big difference in the sound. I did not cut the S2 wire because I didn't find the mic to be bass starved. I tried two different NOS EF86. Let me know which one you like better. Just a simple mic test.

https://soundcloud.com/lapo/sets/neu.../s-esGMKov6Xwv
Old 3rd September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapo View Post
I got a RI U67 and it sounds amazing. First thing I did was install a NOS EF86 tube in it. The tube definitely makes a big difference in the sound. I did not cut the S2 wire because I didn't find the mic to be bass starved. I tried two different NOS EF86. Let me know which one you like better. Just a simple mic test.

What’s the difference?
If it was the 1st thing how long were you able to hear the stock tube (singing instead of voice over)?
Thanks.
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
What’s the difference?
If it was the 1st thing how long were you able to hear the stock tube (singing instead of voice over)?
Thanks.
Both recordings were using an EF86 Tele NOS. I didn't bother to post audio from the stock tube for obvious reasons.
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Tube A sounds better to me. B seems leaner and brighter, missing the body and warmth of A. I'm actually surprised by the significant difference between two variants of the same tube. I think each could have it's use depending on the situation.
To me this illustrates the dramatic effect that a tube can have on the tone of these mics. I put nos amperex and I'm loving it. I also have a telefunken and it's starkly different, but I could see using it for different sources . Stock tube was not my thing at all. Enjoy the mic man!
Old 4th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapo View Post

Its hard to make an honest assessment because the background noise is so high.

Also you have to be at the same distance in the same location to be fair.
Old 5th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Just got my Reissue U67 back from Klaus.

Worth every penny. I also snipped the S2, also worthwhile.

Might change the tube out, try 2-3 and see which makes my voice and others sound best.
📝 Reply