The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My reissue U67 after Klaus Heyne, and mic pre suggestion
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

https://www.facebook.com/10001027491...QfPHqSsnCp&d=n

U67 - redd47 - La2a - bae 1028 eq - burl b2 (uad lexicon 480l)
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Sounds great. Very pop in a good way!
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Where did you get your teles from?
Believe it or not, I found them on eBay from a .DE seller! 1959 EF806S and 1960 EF806s - I prefer the small s, others prefer the capitol S. the small s is SILK.
Old 15th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:

I don't want to hear this, other than the LA2A (patched my Cl1b back now) you have a very similar chain as me, and I don't want to be told I need the u67 to match the c800g, I'm supposed to be in savings mode here.

I listened to it and it's really even on your voice, very nice. I still think the c800g has a bit more Spunk in general. Seems a bit too mellow to me.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Quote:

I don't want to hear this, other than the LA2A (patched my Cl1b back now) you have a very similar chain as me, and I don't want to be told I need the u67 to match the c800g, I'm supposed to be in savings mode here.

I listened to it and it's really even on your voice, very nice. I still think the c800g has a bit more Spunk in general. Seems a bit too mellow to me.
Yea - don’t sell the 800, which I’ve used and dug for that clear/smooth top end it has. I’ve been switching pieces in my chain for #1 myself, #2 clients.

This will be further eq’d/mixed, probably bring out the top end and make it sparkle by the end (and 1176 compression too).

The biggest difference with this mic and others that I’ve tried, is how it handles my dynamics and top end at the same time. Keeps them contained with the 2a nicely. I don’t feel held down or feel like I’m going to make the mic harsh.

It’s like I can “let go“ as a singer.

As an audio engineer, I’ll probably use my bae eq to lift the top end on most productions that use the mic. I’m ok with that, This thing takes eq incredibly.
Old 15th September 2020
Deleted 5f4684d
Quote:
Yea - don’t sell the 800, which I’ve used and dug for that clear/smooth top end it has. I’ve been switching pieces in my chain for #1 myself, #2 clients.

This will be further eq’d/mixed, probably bring out the top end and make it sparkle by the end (and 1176 compression too).

The biggest difference with this mic and others that I’ve tried, is how it handles my dynamics and top end at the same time. Keeps them contained with the 2a nicely. I don’t feel held down or feel like I’m going to make the mic harsh.

It’s like I can “let go“ as a singer.

As an audio engineer, I’ll probably use my bae eq to lift the top end on most productions that use the mic. I’m ok with that, This thing takes eq incredibly.
Yeah for sure, that's been my observation when recording with a vintage u67, I can go from soft to hard, from low to high and somehow everything is so even, never heard that from any mic before. And it also keeps a lot of intimacy and emotion to a performance.

I find the c800g can sound even, but as many suggested on here, it needs to be in omni. It's been night and day using it in omni. I do find that there is a good separation when singing low to high, it's almost like the c800g adds more energy in the high end. The c800g sounds like it captures you thinking while you're singing, i don't think many mics can do that.

Anyway, very very good purchase on your reissue u67, and nice mod from Klaus, the mic sounds great.

Good to have a c800g AND a u67 for various singers and projects!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
Yeah for sure, that's been my observation when recording with a vintage u67, I can go from soft to hard, from low to high and somehow everything is so even, never heard that from any mic before. And it also keeps a lot of intimacy and emotion to a performance.

I find the c800g can sound even, but as many suggested on here, it needs to be in omni. It's been night and day using it in omni. I do find that there is a good separation when singing low to high, it's almost like the c800g adds more energy in the high end. The c800g sounds like it captures you thinking while you're singing, i don't think many mics can do that.

Anyway, very very good purchase on your reissue u67, and nice mod from Klaus, the mic sounds great.

Good to have a c800g AND a u67 for various singers and projects!
Well that would be the slutty thing to do.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Sluttyness (like Cleanliness) is next to Godliness.
But more expen$ive.
Chris
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

so, I took my 67RI apart, looking for the mysterious S2 wire. I couldn't find it. I did find a wire marked WS2, but it was white, not black like I have been told the S2 wire is.

My question: where is this S2 wire and where does it terminate? (A photo would be much appreciated.)

Last edited by wildplum; 17th September 2020 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: added request
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
so, I took my 67RI apart, looking for the mysterious S2 wire. I couldn't find it. I did find a wire marked WS2, but it was white, not black like I have been told the S2 wire is.

My question: where is this S2 wire and where does it terminate? (A photo would be much appreciated.)
It’s up right behind the tube socket.
Old 17th September 2020
Quote:

I'm not at my microphones at the moment, but can someone please take a snapshot of theirs showing the S2?
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I can in one hour.
Old 17th September 2020
Quote:

Also . . .

Neumann U67 reissue vs vintage video
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

A little creative fun with the analogy, off topic but I am in Atlanta, currently with the very gray remnant deluge of Hurricane Sally in my view, and will enjoy the diversion of performance automotive reminiscing below to lift my spirits.

I believe Mercedes/BMW is a better analogy for the German firm Neumann

This .02 based on having spent seven years with a Maserati, decades, including currently, with Mercedes, having been in the F1 crowd on Ferrari's home turf of Monza twice, watching Mercedes crush Ferrari and the field both times (2015 and 2016), having driven friends M Series BMWs, met for business and heard the passion for engineering with CEO, CIO, CFO of BMW.

(FWIW, BMW buys some drivetrain components from Mercedes and there is mutual admiration for Mercedes however, mention Audi to BMW and prepare for a harsh lecture on the inferiority of the engineering of that brand, as a colleague on my team found when he casually mentioned his new Audi thinking these top execs would also appreciate the merits of a third German performance auto firm. The meeting agenda was halted for ten minutes while BMW's leadership walked through the technical merits of their outrage. BTW, they also respect Porsche, primarily for maintaining the highest profit margins among all auto manufacturers)

The Maserati was an exciting, expensive short-term relationship, my Mercedes models, though less flashy in looks, sound and fury check every other box, high performance without drama, engineering over an artist temper and temperament.

BTW, I enjoyed the pre-start F1 2016 Italian GP in the McLaren pit. My colleague has Italian roots and an Italian wife, is among the ultimate F1 Ferrari fans, even in Italy, and purposely wore his Ferrari gear, despite very hot Italian weather, under the McLaren gear we were given as McLaren's guests, courtesy of my day-job employer, one of the long-term McLaren sponsors.

Back to the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
U67 U47. Ferrari Maserati.
Chris

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 17th September 2020 at 07:04 PM..
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I'm not at my microphones at the moment, but can someone please take a snapshot of theirs showing the S2?
First picture shows black S2 wire connected (switch closed). Second picture shows wire switch disconnected/unsoldered on right side termination (open).

The original U67/M269 used a solid-core tinned copper wire, while the reissue uses a multi-strand version with a black jacket.
Attached Thumbnails
My reissue U67 after Klaus Heyne, and mic pre suggestion-dscf1719.jpg   My reissue U67 after Klaus Heyne, and mic pre suggestion-dscf1723.jpg  
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Perfectly fine Steven, and I agree totally.

In fact, that leaves my Toob MXL V69 (sorry guys not for sale) to be...
The "Ferrari" then!

Ever since I put the mint VF-14 (from the local yard sale) in,
she purrs like a kitten. Or is that the microphonics?

Chris
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

By the way, it would be great if Neumann were selling a microphone with built-in switch (S2 on/off).
Although, judging by the positive reactions of people who disabled S2, I doubt that someone will want to turn it on again
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
By the way, it would be great if Neumann were selling a microphone with built-in switch (S2 on/off).
Although, judging by the positive reactions of people who disabled S2, I doubt that someone will want to turn it on again
i fully disagree: with my mic, i've never needed to disengage the jumper...

(of course i did, whenever a mayor overhaul was done but i always put it back in)
Old 17th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
First picture shows black S2 wire connected (switch closed). Second picture shows wire switch disconnected/unsoldered on right side termination (open).

The original U67/M269 used a solid-core tinned copper wire, while the reissue uses a multi-strand version with a black jacket.
Thank you, @ Klaus . Two small questions, please?
1. Can I replace the black multi-strand copper wire with solid core (32 gauge?) copper wire?
2. Is cutting the S3 a better option, or cutting both?
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Because you have a vintage u67 that probably has a full and warm low end, and I'm talking about a u67 Reissue, especially those mics that come from the factory with a lack of a low end. And it is clear that if the capsule is overtensioned, cutting S2 Jumper will not help completely, but it will significantly help with a low end.
Yesterday I compared vintage and Reissue side by side. With S2 open, it is much closer to a vintage. Great mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i fully disagree: with my mic, i've never needed to disengage the jumper...

(of course i did, whenever a mayor overhaul was done but i always put it back in)
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Thank you, @ Klaus . Two small questions, please?
1. Can I replace the black multi-strand copper wire with solid core (32 gauge?) copper wire?
Of course, but what's the purpose? If anything, the multi-strand wire used in the Reissue does not ring or resonate, once disconnected on one side but left in place, while a solid-core wire would need to be dampened with adhesive or fully removed, to prevent ringing.

Quote:
2. Is cutting the S3 a better option, or cutting both?
S3 is the pattern selector switch. What was your idea here to "cut" it? Permanently operating the mic in one pattern by hard-wiring the connection between capsule and amp won't solve any low end issues.
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Of course, but what's the purpose? If anything, the multi-strand wire used in the Reissue does not ring or resonate, once disconnected on one side but left in place, while a solid-core wire would need to be dampened with adhesive or fully removed, to prevent ringing.

S3 is the pattern selector switch. What was your idea here to "cut" it? Permanently operating the mic in one pattern by hard-wiring the connection between capsule and amp won't solve any low end issues.
I must be confused. I thought I read cutting the S3 would open up the top-end like an M269, with the risk of added sibilance of course . . . not the case? Some other mod done to achieve this?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

The frequency response difference between the two models in the high end is minute. Individual capsule variations usually trump any other differences between them. Aside of a different tube and different tube bias, both mics use the identical same circuitry and capsule, and if you slightly vary C17 you can get them both to have an identical response at 10kHz.

Granted, tube types can make a difference in the timbre of an otherwise identical mic, especially when a triode is used in the M269 and a pentode wired as triode in the U67. But the claim that an M269 is the better of the two mics, having some kind of 3D magic is not borne out by measurable facts or audible experience.

As to messing with C17 (80-160pf) which attenuates and mitigates an otherwise overly bright* capsule circuit: suit yourself to play with different values, but removing it completely will get you a bright mic and it will throw off the superb frequency balance of both models.

* The K67 capsule was never intended to be heard without high frequency attenuation. Without it, it's up almost 10dB @ 9kHz. I don't recommend to work with that kind of mic for a whole day in the studio without a big bottle of Advil at the ready.

Last edited by Klaus; 18th September 2020 at 05:14 AM..
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
The frequency response difference between the two models in the high end is minute. Individual capsule variations usually trump any other differences between them. Aside of a different tube and different tube bias, both mics use the identical same circuitry and capsule, and if you slightly vary C17 you can get them both to have an identical response at 10kHz.

Granted, tube types can make a difference in the timbre of an otherwise identical mic, especially when a triode is used in the M269 and a pentode wired as triode in the U67. But the claim that an M269 is the better of the two mics, having some kind of 3D magic is not borne out by measurable facts or audible experience.

As to messing with C17 (80-160pf) which attenuates and mitigates an otherwise overly bright* capsule circuit: suit yourself to play with different values, but removing it completely will get you a bright mic and it will throw off the superb frequency balance of both models.

* The K67 capsule was never intended to be heard without high frequency attenuation. Without it, it's up almost 10dB @ 9kHz. I don't recommend to work with that kind of mic for a whole day in the studio without a big bottle of Advil at the ready.
Thank you, Klaus. I'll leave it as is. I have a variety of EF86 tubes and know which ones I like most (1960 TF EF806s and 1967 Amperex EF86) and indeed they do impart different qualities to the sound capture. Notably different.

Your answers were fantastic clarifications on a couple of small but important points.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
Because you have a vintage u67 that probably has a full and warm low end, and I'm talking about a u67 Reissue, especially those mics that come from the factory with a lack of a low end. And it is clear that if the capsule is overtensioned, cutting S2 Jumper will not help completely, but it will significantly help with a low end.
Yesterday I compared vintage and Reissue side by side. With S2 open, it is much closer to a vintage. Great mic.
not really: those two reissues i got to use so far were as close as you'd want a reissue to be to an original (and much closer than any two originals i ever put side by side) - and this without the jumper disengaged...

i'm with you though on the fact that the u67 - pretty much regardless of which version - is a great mic!
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Well it's no TLM 103. That's for sure!

Chris
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
not really: those two reissues i got to use so far were as close as you'd want a reissue to be to an original (and much closer than any two originals i ever put side by side) - and this without the jumper disengaged...

i'm with you though on the fact that the u67 - pretty much regardless of which version - is a great mic!
This! Our experiences are the same.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

@ deedeeyeah & @ mattcollen

I am wondering if any mods had been done to the reissues you used. . .different tube, for example? Or were they pretty much out of the box from Neumann?

Thanks for the perspective,

Ray H.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post

I am wondering if any mods had been done to the reissues you used. . .different tube, for example? Or were they pretty much out of the box from Neumann?

Ray H.
Mine is stock. I have NOS Telefunken EF86s, but I like and use the stock tube. Mine is not on a bass diet, far from it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post

Ray H.
the two reissues i get to use are not mine but according to the owner, they were bought at two different shops (in different countries) several months apart and no modifications were done, so straight from neumann.

frankly, what i get to read about some modifications (dis-enganging pattern option etc.) i find much rather suspect or even worse: i got to test two mics (other models) which got their capsule tweaked (less tension) - they crap out already on medium spl so beware of some of the mic modders!
📝 Reply