The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAnley ref c , MA5 , tubetech vocal sample
Old 26th March 2020
Gear Nut

MAnley ref c , MA5 , tubetech vocal sample

Got my vocal chain today , put it to work instantly, I’m still trying to find the sweetspot for the cl1b.. it’s a freestyle so don’t be to harsh lol....I mixed it a little with the waves 1176 and eq after the comp with the ssl eq that’s it....side note using the 1176 reminded me that I love that comp
Attached Files

prosper4.mp3 (3.40 MB, 816 views)

Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds good, hard to beat a chain like that. I personally would like to hear the vocals come forward or pop a bit more, they're too 'smooth' for your voice, which is kinda smokey and masks some of that character which I think is important with vocals like this.
Old 29th March 2020
I've been experimenting aswell with my chain. 1176-->cl1b. While tracking i like to go super light on the compression. Like 1-5dbs on pops with the 1176 and 1-3 on the cl1b.

That way I can still adjust the dynamics with my own voice. In mixing mode though I like to compress allot like 15-20db's with the Cl1b. It's just that I like to ride the vocals before the compression as much as I can.

It sounds like you can go way brighter mixing your vocals. So they're more upfront. Sounds good though so keep it up!
Old 29th March 2020
Lives for gear
This is good, great tone, a bit like Rick Ross, Jeezy a bit

One small critique is to maybe pull the doubles back a little, this isnt 2004 anymore. Oh and also, maybe have some kind of vocal improv commentary on what you're rapping about so it's not just 1 vocals and that's it.

If you're really really serious, since I think you got a good tone, you should maybe get a few writers to help write your lines. If you get the right lyrics, I think you could make some noise rap wise.

My own opinion.

Your strong point: Your voice and delivery (that's tough to teach btw)

Your weak point: Your lyrics and beat selection (luckily, that's something that can be improved on way easier than your voice)

I was just listening a bit more. For example the Stacey dash part. Travis Scott says in Sicko Mode: Stacey Dash most of these girls ain't got a clue. Now I think it's smart and funny at the same time. That's where Rap these days lies. Funny, Clever, Violent.

Good chain though, I might hit you up if that's ok, I like your voice. Ah it's a freestyle I see, sorry for being harsh lol your vocal chain is sounding nice man.

Last edited by hellohead; 29th March 2020 at 11:18 PM..
Old 30th March 2020
Gear Head

Ref C sounds good on your vox. Keep experimenting with the Tube Tech settings. It sounds pretty good though for just a ruff.

I'm curious now how a HW 1176 would sound with that Cl1B? Audio Scape/ Warm are decent options for the low? I'm not a fan of the waves stuff. They always sounded muffled and too grabby to me. I think the HW version would open up the vocals a bit and really take it up that last 10 or so percent. Good stuff though man.
Old 30th March 2020
Lives for gear

Not an experienced listener in this Genre (to say the least).
But...

IMHO I really LIKE the "dreamy" style of Production here. Might be the seed of an "individual/haunting" style.
Showing my age here, but it'd be cool to hear Cokey also on a lyrically expanded "social commentary" thing, ala Curtis/Marvin/Grandmaster Flash.

In addition to the exceptional tonal quality and delivery mentioned already... I sense Cokey has arrangement talent too.

Collaborating with a strong lyricist (like hellohead said) is a very smart call. Hey, it didn't hurt Elton John, to have Bernie Taupin!
Chris
Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohead View Post
This is good, great tone, a bit like Rick Ross, Jeezy a bit

One small critique is to maybe pull the doubles back a little, this isnt 2004 anymore. Oh and also, maybe have some kind of vocal improv commentary on what you're rapping about so it's not just 1 vocals and that's it.

If you're really really serious, since I think you got a good tone, you should maybe get a few writers to help write your lines. If you get the right lyrics, I think you could make some noise rap wise.

My own opinion.

Your strong point: Your voice and delivery (that's tough to teach btw)

Your weak point: Your lyrics and beat selection (luckily, that's something that can be improved on way easier than your voice)

I was just listening a bit more. For example the Stacey dash part. Travis Scott says in Sicko Mode: Stacey Dash most of these girls ain't got a clue. Now I think it's smart and funny at the same time. That's where Rap these days lies. Funny, Clever, Violent.

Good chain though, I might hit you up if that's ok, I like your voice. Ah it's a freestyle I see, sorry for being harsh lol your vocal chain is sounding nice man.
man thanks for the critiques ?? I’m not on here often so sorry for the late response... but yeah it was a freestyle wasn’t putting to much into just playing with my new toys pretty much ... definitely hit me up when you have time
Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Not an experienced listener in this Genre (to say the least).
But...

IMHO I really LIKE the "dreamy" style of Production here. Might be the seed of an "individual/haunting" style.
Showing my age here, but it'd be cool to hear Cokey also on a lyrically expanded "social commentary" thing, ala Curtis/Marvin/Grandmaster Flash.

In addition to the exceptional tonal quality and delivery mentioned already... I sense Cokey has arrangement talent too.

Collaborating with a strong lyricist (like hellohead said) is a very smart call. Hey, it didn't hurt Elton John, to have Bernie Taupin!
Chris
this is dope I hope y’all are being honest I’ve never put anything out so the only person that has heard my music is my wife as of lately... maybe I should turn this music thing into a career lolbvs ..... again thanks for the critiques
Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd1 View Post
Ref C sounds good on your vox. Keep experimenting with the Tube Tech settings. It sounds pretty good though for just a ruff.

I'm curious now how a HW 1176 would sound with that Cl1B? Audio Scape/ Warm are decent options for the low? I'm not a fan of the waves stuff. They always sounded muffled and too grabby to me. I think the HW version would open up the vocals a bit and really take it up that last 10 or so percent. Good stuff though man.
I’m really really thinking about getting a black lion bluey 1176
Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Sounds good, hard to beat a chain like that. I personally would like to hear the vocals come forward or pop a bit more, they're too 'smooth' for your voice, which is kinda smokey and masks some of that character which I think is important with vocals like this.
On one hand I agree with you on the other I feel like my voice is to light for a brighter mix .....
Old 2nd April 2020
Lives for gear

I prefer the smoother approach too...
Chris
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds good, not harsh like everyone says the ref c is. I would like a louder vox mix and brighter. Sounds a little muddy in the low mids.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear
Nice but next time put a profanity warning.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Nice but next time put a profanity warning.
Don't be so soft!
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Don't be so soft!
If you think profanity makes you hard. You have much to learn.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Doesn't make you hard, makes you normal, people speak and swear all the time, get over it, and that comes from an English speaker even if French is my first language.
People that don't swear are not normal?

Anyway I have no issues with profanity. I just said put a warning. Some people might be listening to this at work, others maybe around little children or even vulnerable people that triggered easily by certain words.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
People that don't swear are not normal?

Anyway I have no issues with profanity. I just said put a warning. Some people might be listening to this at work, others maybe around little children or even vulnerable people that triggered easily by certain words.
I got yelled at by my wife for saying that to you, i hope you're happy.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Nut

Don't be so soft brotha!
Quote:
I got yelled at by my wife for saying that to you, i hope you're happy.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad View Post
Don't be so soft brotha!
I'm actually a really soft person, very chill.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm more the Bruce Lee type.
Lemme break these bricks here-with my pinkie.
"Here comes the big boss now"
"Hu! Ha!". (Ouch!)
Chris
📝 Reply