The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp for Neumann u47/u67
Old 3 days ago
Preamp for Neumann u47/u67

Hi,

Sorry for another preamp thread

Ok so here it goes.. I just recently sold my CS Spider. I was only using 2ch so it felt a bit like a waste having it at my studio. So I got myself 2 channels of Aml Neves and I'm not sure how I feel about it. For starters it is very colored and using it on my m269c or u47 feels a bit to much to be honest. It pushes low mids around 800-1000hz and it saturates very easy if pushed say above 20-30db of gain. Sure I'm not gonna discard it that easy. I'm gonna see how it works in a mix etc but this is just my initial feelings!

I know the 1073 is a classic combo but the Spider was both clean, vibey and super punchy. Any idea's of what to look for? I'm looking mainly for known brands. Api, v72,v76v 676 etc. Suggestions from people with real use of both pre's and the mic's in question.

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Pre amps

It really depends, you had the digital outs, the Fat amplifier and the limiter. Are you comparing the signal out to these? The Spider is a great piece. Are you looking for a non tube pre? I have a suggestion to try the Burl pre and their DAC’s in the card platform. The other’s to recommend with those mic’s might not be Main Stream enough? However the UTA and the NPNG pre’s do an excellent job complimenting the Neve style pre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Hi,

Sorry for another preamp thread

Ok so here it goes.. I just recently sold my CS Spider. I was only using 2ch so it felt a bit like a waste having it at my studio. So I got myself 2 channels of Aml Neves and I'm not sure how I feel about it. For starters it is very colored and using it on my m269c or u47 feels a bit to much to be honest. It pushes low mids around 800-1000hz and it saturates very easy if pushed say above 20-30db of gain. Sure I'm not gonna discard it that easy. I'm gonna see how it works in a mix etc but this is just my initial feelings!

I know the 1073 is a classic combo but the Spider was both clean, vibey and super punchy. Any idea's of what to look for? I'm looking mainly for known brands. Api, v72,v76v 676 etc. Suggestions from people with real use of both pre's and the mic's in question.

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Why not a used Crane Song Flamingo?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Im using GML over here with the Klaus modded 67 and it's incredible.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I only recently, sang through the API 312. But boy, it sure sounded punchy, and up front!

Quite different than a 1073. I understand also, you already have a Neve style... But maybe consider Silver Bullet?

Hopefully Paul G., will also weigh in too on this...
Chris
P.S. FWIW I may eventually pick up a (entry level) Daking Pre. Been impressed with audio clips cut on them too.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
FWIW I may eventually pick up a (entry level) Daking Pre. Been impressed with audio clips cut on them too.
I read a post in the Daking thread where Bob Olhsson mentions Neumanns and Dakings being a good match. Here, post 178:

In praise of Daking
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks M! Don't laugh, but I was thinking of my "Poor Man's Neumann's" AKA Oktava 219 & 319 and my relatively "High End" Soundelux U195 to pair... With the Daking.

Those 3 microphones were heavily influenced in development IMHO , by the U47 and U87 respectively. (certainly more than most early/mid Chinese attempts)
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookmoof View Post
I read a post in the Daking thread where Bob Olhsson mentions Neumanns and Dakings being a good match. Here, post 178:

In praise of Daking
My M149 sounds fantastic with a Daking Micpre One.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quite the bargain too, at around $550... Here in the States.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
It really depends, you had the digital outs, the Fat amplifier and the limiter. Are you comparing the signal out to these? The Spider is a great piece. Are you looking for a non tube pre? I have a suggestion to try the Burl pre and their DAC’s in the card platform. The other’s to recommend with those mic’s might not be Main Stream enough? However the UTA and the NPNG pre’s do an excellent job complimenting the Neve style pre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Why not a used Crane Song Flamingo?
Hey, yeah fat switch was pretty much always engaged . The only mic i didn't like it on was u67.

I know its no way a scientific comparison comparing an old take to new ones.. But since I couldn't do a side by side a/b that's all i got haha!

Yeah maybe the flamingo is the way to go, rareley see one used though!

I have a friend who pretty much got every pre you'd want. V76, v72 neve etc so I'll see if I can borrow the usual suspects.

Maybe a old tube pre is to much in conjunction with an old tube mic!?

I initially bought the spider because I didn't want to go down into the rabbit hole of preamps haha! It's a mess!!!

I'll see if I can try an api and also got a custom build 676 I could try.

The thing for me is that these old glorious mics are nothing but clean. Saturated and non linear and that's what I like. No need to add additional grit and color.

A friend actually recommended me trying out Rme ufx pre's haha.

Well well, keep em coming I appreciate it.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

You know, come to think of it, you would not go wrong with a Fearn VT-2 or single channel with those mic’s as well. That’s pretty main stream.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Saturated and non linear and that's what I like.
The Chandler REDD.47 preamp is right up your alleyway, or maybe the Thermionic Earlybird 2.2. I love my Fearn's to death. I don't think they sound "non-linear" though, or saturated, they just sound amazing, beautiful, opulent, rich.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, the idea that tube pre-amps are distortion machines says a lot about the success of marketing.

"Old tube pre-amps" such as a V76 being "too much" with a tube mic?

Right....
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Great point, tube amps and the tube mic’s work mighty fine together. I have Pendulum audio tube pre’s that are amazing with those mic’s. But unfortunately they might not be offered any longer. The REDD 47 is a great suggestion as well, good with the REDD mic and 47/67.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Yeah, the idea that tube pre-amps are distortion machines says a lot about the success of marketing.

"Old tube pre-amps" such as a V76 being "too much" with a tube mic?

Right....

Haha probably. The highend tube gear I've used tubetech preamp, hammer eq where quite subtle in the way they sounded. Nowhere a super color box that I think marketing has led the general public to believe tube gear adds.

I'm gonna have to a/b some stuff to see what I personally like. I would like to save some money from the Spider purchase though for once haha!

Thanks for all suggestions I appreciate it.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

neumann mics match well with neve preamps.

it's kind of like les paul/marshall. the sound works, so no need to overthink it.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
neumann mics match well with neve preamps.

it's kind of like les paul/marshall. the sound works, so no need to overthink it.
I disagree. Personal taste and all that!
It's all good if you do and the rest of the world for that matter haha. It's just that I like to form my own opinion based out of experience.

Initial feel is that it pushes the vintage sound to much. Coloring it to much. Nothing set in stone, I'm still evaluating it. Really like the Neve sound on guitar though!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Or on your SM7 too-right?
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Or on your SM7 too-right?
Chris
I think it's time for some file comparisons haha! I'll see what I can do!!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Cool!

BTW I thought it might be entertaining-maybe even educating to start a (non-Sony C8000G & Clone)...

High End Rap/Hip Hop/Modern R&B vocal thread.

I've already got a song or two in mind that I can
"Rap". Can't say It's Dope, but I sure can hope.
Word
Chris
P.S. Even 60 year olds get Cabin Fever!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Initial feel is that it pushes the vintage sound to much. Coloring it to much. Nothing set in stone, I'm still evaluating it. Really like the Neve sound on guitar though!
I'm with you in that I also find 1073s to be too colorful. The tone is awesome, but they're just too saturated for my taste.

I've had a Wunder PEQ2R for several years now, and I can't recommend it enough. At low gain settings, you get all the tone of a vintage piece without any of the hair or grit. And it's a really sweet tone, at that.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

A v-series tube preamp INTO a Daking MicPreEQ (line in). Best of both worlds.

One thing about the Daking is that there is ample gain and headroom, and they won’t get as mushy as a Neve does. You could also really hear the underlying character of the mic, and have eq points that work very well, especially on Neumann mics. That would be high up my list. The treble and upper mid frequency points and width are perfect for a U67 or 47.

At the same time, lately I often patch into a V78m first, run clean, especially for vocals. The Daking is the shot of espresso, and the v78m is the shot of kahlua.

From your initial comments though, it kind of sounds like the daking alone might really do the trick for you, maybe even just a mic pre one.

Solidstate v series stuff is nice too, I could spout on that topic for too long. Not for everyone though.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
What exactly does non-linear mean in relevance to preamps?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

We grade them on a curve!
Chris
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I have a modded Wunder CM7/GT with M7 and i use it with my Aurora Audio GTQC and I love the combination. I am a baritone and it works well for me. I've also used it on a frien who is a tenor with equally rewarding results. And it works wonderfully on acoustic guitar as well.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The Chandler REDD.47 preamp is right up your alleyway...[/I]
Seconded. I love the sound of my 67 reissue through the Redd.47.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Clips Gentlemen?
Chris
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
Seconded. I love the sound of my 67 reissue through the Redd.47.
I'm sure it's excellent but jesus. 3k a channel no way haha! I'm no stranger paying for quality but at that price I could score two v72 or a v76 with some luck. Sweden's prices are in general lower so its definitely a possibility!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure it's excellent but jesus. 3k a channel no way haha! I'm no stranger paying for quality but at that price I could score two v72 or a v76 with some luck. Sweden's prices are in general lower so its definitely a possibility!
exactly
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
To Dianne:
If you measure to a ridiculously fine scale, all preamps are non-linear.
Your ears are VERY non-linear, so absolutely flat response isn’t often the thing that people hear as THE thing that makes them like a pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search