The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Schoeps 221 cables?
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Addict

Schoeps 221 cables?

Hey folks-
I found a pair of old 221's with Audio Technica tube psu's for a really good price, but the cable from mic to psu are the wrong ones. They fit the mic body but not the psu. The connector has 6 pins and is about the size of a midi cable, but the psu receptacle is even a little smaller.

Any ideas on where to look for connectors, wiring info, etc? I looked at the Schoeps site but it's not particularly helpful.

Also, thoughts on these mics, things to watch for, etc, would be helpful.

Cheers.
Old 30th October 2002
member no 666

Are you absolutely sure that those supplies are for those mics? The 221 runs an AC 701/k tube, which no Audio Technica on the face of this planet has ever seen. Pop that tube and you're in for a like $500 USD bill [could be more... don't buy a new tube from M-A... they'll perpetrate some 'prison love' on your financial ass].

The good news is that the supply for mics like the 221 are also used by the Neumann M-49, M-50, KM-54, KM-56, "non E" versions of the Telefunken 250 and 251... in other words, they're not all that rare.

I would strongly suggest that you have a competent tech check out the supply, and output rails of the supply, and the "pinup" of the connector of the mic before doing anything.

FWIW, I have found the 221 to be an outstanding sounding microphone... but only when they're working properly. Best of luck with it.
Old 30th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Are you absolutely sure that those supplies are for those mics? The 221 runs an AC 701/k tube, which no Audio Technica on the face of this planet has ever seen. Pop that tube and you're in for a like $500 USD bill [could be more... don't buy a new tube from M-A... they'll perpetrate some 'prison love' on your financial ass].

The good news is that the supply for mics like the 221 are also used by the Neumann M-49, M-50, KM-54, KM-56, "non E" versions of the Telefunken 250 and 251... in other words, they're not all that rare.

I would strongly suggest that you have a competent tech check out the supply, and output rails of the supply, and the "pinup" of the connector of the mic before doing anything.

FWIW, I have found the 221 to be an outstanding sounding microphone... but only when they're working properly. Best of luck with it.

interesting! anyone comapared the the m222 ac/ dc with the old school m221b?what are your thoughts??

thank you.
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Are you absolutely sure that those supplies are for those mics? The 221 runs an AC 701/k tube, which no Audio Technica on the face of this planet has ever seen.
Seems strange to me too. I wouldn't say that the guys that have it know much... about it. Now that I think about it the PSU may have been AKG rather than Audio Technica (I always confuse the 2). It looked old as dirt though, and maybe like one of those "rebranded" jobbies you see occasionally. Powered up fine.

Quote:

Pop that tube and you're in for a like $500 USD bill [could be more... don't buy a new tube from M-A... they'll perpetrate some 'prison love' on your financial ass].
WHew, just about blew my coffee through my nose on that one! Thanks for the tips.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search