The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
thoughts on neumann U89
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone use the u89 for pop
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Not for pop per se - but on singer / songwriter stuff I use it often on vocals and acoustic instruments as well as the TLM193. Both great mics in my experience. I also often reach for a C414 which is a little more scooped than the 89 with a little more high end. Many folks do not endorse the U89 as they feel it is flat. Bt that's exactly why I like it. It can be a little wooly in the mids so I would not necessarily use the U89 with a very thick or colored chain. It is also a beautiful mic from an engineering point of view and I believe one of the last original spec Neumann's available (if that sort of thing is important to you). Rent one. It's what's in front of the mic that defines how it sounds.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear
Great on vocals! Definitely prefer it over an 87 - by a lot.
(Also check out the TLM170 & even the reissue of the U47Fet.)
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Addict

I use U89 exclusively on vocals. no ugly frequencies that stand out. Little dull sounding but after some eq its outstanding.
It's a great mic that takes eq very well.
Also use it in front of kit when recording drums. full-range sound. fantastic.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
Not for pop per se - but on singer / songwriter stuff I use it often on vocals and acoustic instruments as well as the TLM193. Both great mics in my experience. I also often reach for a C414 which is a little more scooped than the 89 with a little more high end. Many folks do not endorse the U89 as they feel it is flat. Bt that's exactly why I like it. It can be a little wooly in the mids so I would not necessarily use the U89 with a very thick or colored chain. It is also a beautiful mic from an engineering point of view and I believe one of the last original spec Neumann's available (if that sort of thing is important to you). Rent one. It's what's in front of the mic that defines how it sounds.
True, I was wondering if you could dial in some high high mids into it and how well it takes EQ. I've got a Phoenix audio pre with eqs built in, wondering if I could dial that in. Cool stuff I'll see if I can get my hands on one
Old 16th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Yes - it takes EQ extremely well. I think this is also the attraction for many folks. With good placement you probably don't need it. But if you do, it takes it very naturally.
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

Hmm.. It's either this or a vintage u87. Preparing to sell my 251, so I need something around 1-2k that will get me half way of what my 251 did lol

Can I hear what you've done with the u89
Old 16th October 2015
@ IkennaFuNkEn

the only thing I noticed about my tlm193 is that it builds up the low mids a bit, because it is so accurate it was revealing the acoustic problems in my room, if your room is good you'll be fine. I love it on female vocals in particular.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
We have used the U89 for 20 years of more and it is an invaluable tool.\
We use the 89 on female vocals, soprano sections of choirs and anywhere that a true and unhyped sound is required.
I assume you are still using the U89 for soprano sections; what are you using for non-soprano sections of choirs? Your advice is always appreciated,, thank you.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Hello Wildplum,

Yes U 89 is still used on soprano and alto sections of choirs. Mostly Gefell M71s used on tenor and bass sections.

You can also get an excellent pickup on choir by using all Pearl CC22 cardioid mics. 4 or 5 across the front.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

I am selling my U89 if anyone is interested drop me a PM.

thoughts on neumann U89Neumann U 89 i #262 1979 Beauty! U89 U89i 4006087064504 | eBay

Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Rather than starting a new thread... I'll just add to this old one.

I did a microphone shoot-out on a high baritone (almost tenor range but baritone in formant/tone) this evening for a male singer's album.

Up in a cluster for shoot our were:
U87 (old 1971 sucker in perfect condition), Gefell M930, 414EB, 414xls, T-Funk CU29, Kiwi, U89

The U89 surprised me. Easily we ruled out the 87, copperhead and kiwi on account of too much aggression... but it was really close between the 414eb, U89 and M930. The M930 had a lot more detail, the 414 was very smooth and the U89 was right in between the two... it was perfect.

I was quite surprised. I didn't expect it to best U87, 414eb and the M930 on baritone vocals but it did. And this is a baritone on a blues record.
My go to mic for years. GML and/or Millennia Media STT-1 preamp.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 22nd August 2017
Deleted e03114c
I'm trying to understand the LIN position on the Neumann U89.
There are three positions, high pass filters at 80 and 160, but I'm not understanding the LIN subsonic filter (Via Switch) Around 45hz.
So this means I can not use this mic without having to choose from 80, 160 or LIN ?
What if I don't want to roll off any frequencies?
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

LIN is the neutral position without any filters. It stands for LINEAR--in other words, flat response.

The U89 is very clearly, along with the TLM 170, the top top mic made today by Neumann. (mit trafo)
Old 22nd August 2017
Deleted e03114c
Quote:
LIN is the neutral position without any filters. It stands for LINEAR--in other words, flat response.

The U89 is very clearly, along with the TLM 170, the top top mic made today by Neumann. (mit trafo)
Thank you Plush, I am really loving this mic as drum oh's , acoustic guitar and on vocals !!!!
I think I finally found the perfect mic for my voice :-)
The Neumann manual says this:
Setting the pre-attenuation
The switchable pre-attenuation increases the maximum signal level in order to avoid overload- ing when transmitting signals at extremely high sound pressure levels.
“LIN” or “–6 dB” can be selected by means of a switch on the back of the microphone.
When the “LIN” setting is used, a steep low-cut prevents the output transformer from being over- loaded by interference below the audio range.
So LIN is -6db ??
Steep low-cut ?
But they don't mention frequency?
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreckdirect View Post
Thank you Plush, I am really loving this mic as drum oh's , acoustic guitar and on vocals !!!!
I think I finally found the perfect mic for my voice :-)
The Neumann manual says this:
Setting the pre-attenuation
The switchable pre-attenuation increases the maximum signal level in order to avoid overload- ing when transmitting signals at extremely high sound pressure levels.
“LIN” or “–6 dB” can be selected by means of a switch on the back of the microphone.
When the “LIN” setting is used, a steep low-cut prevents the output transformer from being over- loaded by interference below the audio range.
So LIN is -6db ??
Steep low-cut ?
But they don't mention frequency?
They say "below the audio range" which is generally understood as a reference to frequencies below 20Hz.
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Guru

Subsonic filter? Must have a pretty good low frequency response!

But why would that be switchable, when would you ever want it off?
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

It is a subsonic filter for non audio sounds.

Use LIN as your regular set up and don't worry about it.
Old 23rd August 2017
Deleted e03114c
Quote:
It is a subsonic filter for non audio sounds.

Use LIN as your regular set up and don't worry about it.
Thank you again, I believed you Plush,
I just read some info that confused me lol
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Used a U89 on a great soprano into a vintage Neve 1073. It sounded gorgeous. I disagree with anyone who thinks this mic is boring.
Old 23rd August 2017
Deleted e03114c
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
Used a U89 on a great soprano into a vintage Neve 1073. It sounded gorgeous. I disagree with anyone who thinks this mic is boring.
Wow I can imagine the beauty going through a 1073 ;-)
I have mine going through an apogee quartet and it's amazing.
Old 27th August 2017
The U-89 capsule is fabulous. I wish it was available for aftermarket. I put one into a ******** mic with a good Schoeps circuit and it sounded amazing. Ty Ford owns it, maybe he can comment?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone use the U89 on upright bass in a four piece bluegrass band (live in the studio)?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
Anyone use the U89 on upright bass in a four piece bluegrass band (live in the studio)?
No, but it should work brilliantly. It's flat and carries clearly down to 20hz without exaggerating the low end.
📝 Reply