The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Was Sony C800g discontinued?
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Was Sony C800g discontinued?

Just curious, as I was looking up something about it today I noticed that it is no longer on the Sweetwater site and it is also listed “No Longer Available” on VK.

Sorry if this has already been asked. I searched first but did not find anything (other than a thread from 2006 that isn’t relevant)

If it actually has been discontinued is Sony working on a newer version or possibly a replacement?
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I’ve been hearing talk about that mic being discontinued for a while now.. maybe it actually happened
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Addict

I doubt it. It is the most prized modern microphone. Sony recently launched the C100, indicating a sustained interest in professional music recording microphones. Their marketing of the C100 heavily references the C800g, so it would be odd to then discontinue the C800g. Sony has already amortized the r&d and manufacturing setup. They don't even have to market it, because everybody at that level knows what it is. So it's pure profit every time one rolls off the assembly line.

They are *not* available in many countries in Europe due to environmental reasons. There is probably some capacitor or some other part in the device that uses chemical 4487dk3tr or whatever which is banned by the EU for causing health hazards.

You can buy one here:
https://www.samash.com/sony-c-800gpa...iAAEgK_yfD_BwE

or here:
https://pro.sony/ue_US/where-to-buy/...ophones/c-800g

If they do discontinue it (which would be tragic), prices will skyrocket on the used market... probably up to $17-20k.

If they do decide to discontinue it, the should give us a two *year* advanced notice so everyone who wants one can save up and buy one.

Last edited by gearstudent; 26th February 2020 at 05:21 AM..
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

It's been/going to be discontinued, per a trusty source I know (to remain nameless)...
Chris
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope and nope.
There is no stock and no availability. Just because a website has a page for the product doesn't mean it is actually currently available. Try actually purchasing it from Sam Ash and you'll find out from them too.
In the case of this mic, it isn't available anywhere in the US.
(I do not know their future plans)
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Addict

If Sony does discontinue this mic, it is as absurd as Neumann cancelling the U47... it's even more absurd. At least Neumann had an excuse: the VF14 tube was no longer being made. No excuse I can see on Sony's end.

And the C100 is not even close to being a replacement for the C800g.

So we have had to suffer through endless near-miss clones of the U47. Now there will be endless near-miss C800g clones. "It's the same!" No it's not. "It's better!" No it's not.

Maybe Manley can buy the rights to produce this mic and power supply note-for-note... ship all of the equipment from Japan, don't change a single thing, and mail Sony a royalty check once in a while. Manley recently did a C37 interpretation with their Silver mic, and Manley used to manufacture for GML. So it's not so far-fetched.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
If Sony does discontinue this mic, it is as absurd as Neumann cancelling the U47... it's even more absurd. At least Neumann had an excuse: the VF14 tube was no longer being made. No excuse I can see on Sony's end.

And the C100 is not even close to being a replacement for the C800g.

So we have had to suffer through endless near-miss clones of the U47. Now there will be endless near-miss C800g clones. "It's the same!" No it's not. "It's better!" No it's not.

Maybe Manley can buy the rights to produce this mic and power supply note-for-note... ship all of the equipment from Japan, don't change a single thing, and mail Sony a royalty check once in a while. Manley recently did a C37 interpretation with their Silver mic, and Manley used to manufacture for GML. So it's not so far-fetched.
I do love all my Manley gear so wouldn’t be opposed to this if they can recreate it exactly!
If it truly is being discontinued it’s a little sad honestly. I don’t “NEED” one really, I have plenty of great mics that more than get the job done daily, but I’ve always wanted one and planned to get one at some point just to add to the options. I may just go ahead and see if I can grab one now before they become impossible to find!
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Their Silver is an exceptional C37-ish microphone...
Chris
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

It is listed on the Sony website. They are probably waiting to make another manufacturing run on the mic.

AudioGold, order it from your dealer.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head
I believe it has been discontinued as the manufacturing used some banned RoHS substances, meaning it can no longer be exported outside of Japan. Maybe you can still pick one up in the country, but it would be technically illegal to bring it home. Just a rumor I heard last year, but I know you can't order a new one anywhere for the last few months.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bittman View Post
I believe it has been discontinued as the manufacturing used some banned RoHS substances, meaning it can no longer be exported outside of Japan.
No. There are plenty of regions that are not adoptees of EU RoHS ban. The US being one of the biggest consumer ones. And this has been true for sometime with microphones that weren't importable into or repairable within the EU. That wouldn't be the reason to shut down production.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head
Than I humbly stand corrected. What is the newest confirmed C800 any of us knows that someone bought new? I can't think of a newer one than 2007-ish.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Technically, it is still being made.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Amazing, selling mine for 25k, thank you.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Lira?
Chris
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

I was wondering the same thing the other day. As of a few months ago when I checked, it was readily available at all the major online stores but it seems to have gone away from all of them… it’s still on the Sony website as a current product though so who knows. The only place I found to buy a new one currently is at Front End Audio for $8899 ($1000 less than the normal price), but it says “call for availability” so I’m not even sure if they have it anymore. If they do discontinue this mic it’d be a real shame. It’s probably one of the most used vocal mics on the pop charts today…
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

My fav vocal mic for sure. Glad I had the chance to get one before this happened.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

Sony's business model has changed over the years, the parent company is not having the success in the consumer electronics field as they used to, resulting in a tighter cash-flow situation. Hence their focus on "pro audio" is in the ENG and broadcasting fields; videography and wireless technologies are the money-makers now. A $10K mic for recording studios will only sell so many units to begin with, and has likely been written off by its' maker as a non-essential "luxury item" with a low profit potential. This is a real shame.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Pure speculation by each poster.

Call your dealer and ask about availability.

Don't spread myths.

Pros buy this mic.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Pure speculation by each poster.

Call your dealer and ask about availability.

Don't spread myths.

Pros buy this mic.
This myth has been spreading around for YEARS now. So has the one about the tubes going bad & having to be changed frequently.
Then you have others stating that the imitations sound just like it.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear
I'm sure Behringer would be super excited to learn that this mic was discontinued (if it is). Lol
Old 4 weeks ago
I spoke with a Sony rep at NAMM about the C800. He said they are currently speaking with a manufacturer to get a new run of the tubes, which will allow them to service and create new C800s again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds more likely now...
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is not the first time this problem has cropped up. At various times across the product's lifespan, it has become unavailable for pretty extended periods. If they continue to list the mic among current products and have been reasonably forthcoming about the problem, take them at their word and assume it will come available again at some point.
However, don't assume you'll get lucky a second time. If it's something you want, save up NOW and buy it the first day it exists again. Don't screw around.
As always, YMMV.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
It's been/going to be discontinued, per a trusty source I know (to remain nameless)...
Chris
is his name Mr. Sony?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No, but an arch rival!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, but an arch rival!
Chris
you again?! in another thread dealing with tube mics... - i told you to get a mic of german origin!

seriously now: i never got to like the sony - together with the c12 (of which i never got to hear a real good example; even less a pair) this imo is the most overrated vocal mic, at least when used in close position...

i'd rather buy an armada of audio technica mics for that price!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Their Silver is an exceptional C37-ish microphone...
Chris
I love it, but it sounds nothing like a C37.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
you again?! in another thread dealing with tube mics... - i told you to get a mic of german origin!

seriously now: i never got to like the sony - together with the c12 (of which i never got to hear a real good example; even less a pair) this imo is the most overrated vocal mic, at least when used in close position...

i'd rather buy an armada of audio technica mics for that price!
You've never heard a good C12, and they're overrated?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
The wait is over!

https://reverb.com/item/32689973-new...ube-microphone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search