The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Was Sony C800g discontinued?
Old 7th May 2020
  #151
Gear Addict
 
kludgeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hi Scott, are you talking about the tube(s) in the mic or in the PS as lasting a long time.
Thanks.
dan
All of them. This is not a guitar amp or CB linear that is running the tubes at the edge of their ratings.
--scott
Old 8th May 2020
  #152
Lives for gear
 

Sony needs to keep these in production, or hand the plans and fabrication equipment over to Manley Labs and let them build it.

These things will reach astronomical sums on the used market otherwise. No sense in that. Let EveAnna build them.

The Sony C800-G. Born and raised in Japan, but now resides in Chino. Sounds good to me!
Old 23rd May 2020
  #153
Gear Nut
 

just fyi ... one of my sources said it's only out of stock until they can get a particular part from the manufacture... 6 months or so ... so people don't spend 25k on a used mic ... lol give it some time

not sure if that 1000 percent correct but I'm pretty confident
Old 23rd May 2020
  #154
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbdot View Post
just fyi ... one of my sources said it's only out of stock until they can get a particular part from the manufacture... 6 months or so ... so people don't spend 25k on a used mic ... lol give it some time

not sure if that 1000 percent correct but I'm pretty confident
Yep! They keep pushing up the prices based off of misinformation hoping someone is desperate enough to buy for that much without doing research to see its on a production hold not discontinued.
Old 23rd May 2020
  #155
Here for the gear
Evidence or I don't believe it.

Every vendor I have talked to including SoundPure, Vintage King, Sweetwater ect. has said Sony was not making the mic currently and they could not give any window of time as to when it would be available.

From everything I can tell they have ceased production indefinitely and released the c-100 as a much cheaper "replacement" for their high end audio market.

One sold for $10,700 Today. There are a handful of mics that sell used for 5 figures its not unfathomable to think the Sony C800g will soon be one of them.

Last edited by TomW; 23rd May 2020 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 23rd May 2020
  #156
Gear Maniac
 

My rep at VK has been telling me about them planning to discontinue for 2 years now.
Old 23rd May 2020
  #157
Lives for gear
 

There is no way the c-100 can be considered a replacement. The C-100 is solid state, uses two capsules, uses different capsules, uses different-sized capsules, has three polar patterns instead of two, uses different internal electronics, does not have its own power supply, has different frequency response graphs, looks different and sounds different.
Old 23rd May 2020
  #158
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
There is no way the c-100 can be considered a replacement. The C-100 is solid state, uses two capsules, uses different capsules, uses different-sized capsules, has three polar patterns instead of two, uses different internal electronics, does not have its own power supply, has different frequency response graphs, looks different and sounds different.
It’s not it’s replacement but an “Hi-Res” addition. Don’t get caught in the middle. The Sony C-800G isn’t discontinued.
Old 23rd May 2020
  #159
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Evidence or I don't believe it.
...There are a handful of mics that sell used for 6 figures its not unfathomable to think the Sony C800g will soon be one of them.
$/€ 100,000? Evidence, or I don't believe it.
Old 23rd May 2020
  #160
Here for the gear
Sorry typo meant 5 figures. I said one sold today for $10,700. Look up the reverb price history for evidence.. the two before that sold for $12,500 maybe someday way in the future it will be worth 6 figures haha.

Reverb Price History taken from todays date

5/22/2020 Very Good $10,700
5/14/2020 Mint $12,500
5/14/2020 Very Good $12,200
5/7/2020 Excellent $8,500
4/7/2020 Excellent $8,000
4/6/2020 Excellent $11,000
3/20/2020 Mint $7,300
2/18/2020 Excellent $6,800
2/15/2020 Good $7,999
2/15/2020 Mint $7,500
Old 23rd May 2020
  #161
Lives for gear
 

This sounds ominous: "discontinued":
https://www.frontendaudio.com/sony-c...crophone-pack/

The C800G was on my long-term buy list, as I don't have an immediate use for it. If it returns to market, I will need to defensively buy it. That's a lot of money to have something sit in a closet for at least a year.

I still don't get why production has stopped on this. It's a $10,000 cash cow. All of the r&d and tooling was designed years ago. They simply have to roll them off the assembly line and it's like printing money. They don't have to market it. They don't have to educate and convince retailers to carry it. I guess if they are dependent on an outside supplier for a critical part and that part is not available... that's about the only reason I could think of.
Old 23rd May 2020
  #162
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
This sounds ominous: "discontinued":
https://www.frontendaudio.com/sony-c...crophone-pack/

The C800G was on my long-term buy list, as I don't have an immediate use for it. If it returns to market, I will need to defensively buy it. That's a lot of money to have something sit in a closet for at least a year.

I still don't get why production has stopped on this. It's a $10,000 cash cow. All of the r&d and tooling was designed years ago. They simply have to roll them off the assembly line and it's like printing money. They don't have to market it. They don't have to educate and convince retailers to carry it. I guess if they are dependent on an outside supplier for a critical part and that part is not available... that's about the only reason I could think of.
Have you read this? Very detailed info on what’s going on.

Sony C-800G IS NOT DISCONTINUED
Old 23rd May 2020
  #163
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Evidence or I don't believe it.

Every vendor I have talked to including SoundPure, Vintage King, Sweetwater ect. has said Sony was not making the mic currently and they could not give any window of time as to when it would be available.

From everything I can tell they have ceased production indefinitely and released the c-100 as a much cheaper "replacement" for their high end audio market.

One sold for $10,700 Today. There are a handful of mics that sell used for 5 figures its not unfathomable to think the Sony C800g will soon be one of them.
I don't think anyone that isn't high up within sony has any real hard evidence but like I said I've heard from multiple sources including the retailers of the c800g who do get SOME insight on what's going on because they are the ones who sell the product so any company would keep them slightly informed at the least. It makes perfect sense that due to the mic being made in Japan and with all the COVID being a issue they had to discontinue until further notice ... obviously there not going to say that and then say we will be back on x date ... they will just discontinue and then come back when they are ready... nonetheless if you can hold off for about 6 months or so im about 85 percent sure it will be back... but hey why trust some random off the internet right ... go ahead and drop that 25k lol jk
Old 23rd May 2020
  #164
Lives for gear
 

Moot IMHO as the AA CM800T, sounds as good...
Chris
Old 24th May 2020
  #165
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
The JJ Audio Akita is another contender.
Old 24th May 2020
  #166
Lives for gear
 

That'd be cool to hear too...
Chris
Old 24th May 2020
  #167
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Moot IMHO as the AA CM800T, sounds as good...
Chris
Have you ABed? If not then it's just an assumption. I havent seen AA post any shootout, so for right now, it's not the same.
Old 24th May 2020
  #168
Lives for gear
 

Paul G. has posted shootouts between AA and Sony, here at GS. There have also been other AA posts by singers/Rappers too.

By singing/trying the GAP clone, that helped me judge somewhat better too. IMHO they are priced a bit too high, partly due to the AA.
If I'm hypothetically $4K or under, there's a slew of other vocal mics I'd get instead. Maybe two!
Chris
Old 24th May 2020
  #169
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
FWIW, as I said earlier, the shootout posted earlier in this thread IMHO showed the AA to be easily the most different of all of them from the Sony and the GA to be quite close, and even more with the addition of the Sony power supply. Perhaps other shootouts tell another story. I'll also reiterate that there is no way anyone will make an actual clone, as opposed to an "inspired by/sounds like" of the Sony, like the GA for any less money. If something that looks nothing like the Sony but sounds close enough for you is enough for you, then no need to pay extra for the GA. If you want something that might be mistaken for the Sony without looking closely at the badge, then you're going to have to pay for it. The GA is still significantly less than a Sony, even without the recent silly through the roof fantasy inflation.
Old 25th May 2020
  #170
Lives for gear
 

Agree mostly. Still Paul G's clips and a couple other ones, make my point compelling.

If we even have another NAMM again next year, I hope AA is there for me to try directly.
Chris
Old 25th May 2020
  #171
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
I'm am referring to Paul's clips posted here, though perhaps you're referring to other clips elsewhere? IOW, I assume Paul has good reason to think the AA is close to the Sony but the clips he posted here did not corroborate that opinion for me.
Old 25th May 2020
  #172
Lives for gear
 

Tim, I listened to different clips, over the period of time we've been discussing all this.
This was the net impression that was left on me personally.
Chris
Old 25th May 2020
  #173
Here for the gear
 

!Good News!

It has been confirmed today that Japan has officially been relieved of “Shutdown” status by their prime minister in regards to COVID19 due to their COVID case numbers being at a astonishing low compared to other countries. Japan’s economy and businesses should resume work as normal starting today.

After finding this out earlier this morning, I contacted a colleague who works with Sony via the Asia/Japan Region. I was informed that the factory in which the Sony C-800G is made was limited with personnel to provide production work and final testing before the Sony C-800G resumes production for retail. With today’s shutdown ending, normal personnel as far numbers of employees should be resuming.

Hopefully there will be more good information here soon in regards to the Sony C-800G being available again for retail purchasing!

PS: For the record, if Sony was to discontinue this product, being as popular as it is, there would definitely be an official statement released to the public of its ending days.
Old 27th May 2020
  #174
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophySony View Post
!Good News!

It has been confirmed today that Japan has officially been relieved of “Shutdown” status by their prime minister in regards to COVID19 due to their COVID case numbers being at a astonishing low compared to other countries. Japan’s economy and businesses should resume work as normal starting today.

After finding this out earlier this morning, I contacted a colleague who works with Sony via the Asia/Japan Region. I was informed that the factory in which the Sony C-800G is made was limited with personnel to provide production work and final testing before the Sony C-800G resumes production for retail. With today’s shutdown ending, normal personnel as far numbers of employees should be resuming.

Hopefully there will be more good information here soon in regards to the Sony C-800G being available again for retail purchasing!

PS: For the record, if Sony was to discontinue this product, being as popular as it is, there would definitely be an official statement released to the public of its ending days.
Well I hope so. I had a buddy of mine tried to get one here recently. Thinking he was getting one brand new. He said he was sent an invoice for 29,000 USD He said this has to be typo and called to confirm. They stated they are selling it on the behalf of someone else and that's how much they want for it. AND IT'S USED. He said he was almost about to curse up a storm.

*USED
*NO WARRANTY
*NOT TO MENTION THE MIC MAINTENANCE
......... All for 29,000 USD

I was speechless. I told him he's better off waiting it out somewhere else or try the GA-800G because it will never sale at that price anytime soon. It's getting stupid at this point
Old 27th May 2020
  #175
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Disagree here.

C100 does excellent job and if that mid/high-range euphonic effect is desired, combo of good tube pre/comp does the trick.
I have NOS C800G used for few hours and will sell it.
True the C100 sounds amazing IMO. It replaced my Manley Ref.
I listened to all the shootouts when the C100 first came out Including Paul G’s and it’s defiantly in the same ball park as the c800g vibe wise (especially with a tube pre) It has a nice presence and doesn’t require as much eq as a u87. It’s manufactured in the same plant the c800g is made in, their own capsules (not sourced).
Old 28th May 2020
  #176
Lives for gear
Really enjoying the sound of the c800g on my new song.

Male Vox --- c800g/Redd 47/Cl1b -5db/Burl
Attached Files

MV c800g-Redd47-Cl1b-Burl.mp3 (3.56 MB, 506 views)

Old 28th May 2020
  #177
Lives for gear
 

Sounds great!
Chris
Old 28th May 2020
  #178
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sounds great!
Chris
It just screams modern.
Old 28th May 2020
  #179
Lives for gear
 

C100 is a great mic.
It does not sound sound like a C800G.
Where it's made and what influence you do on its signal chain doesn't change what the mic itself is.
This is getting a bit ridiculous. Everyone please understand marketing. A company will always use its best/most known mic to sell a different mic.
They'd be stupid not to.

(And to be clear, the C800-G is a fine mic but not for everyone either despite the "me too" craze of seeing rap singers use it.)
Old 28th May 2020
  #180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
I'm am referring to Paul's clips posted here, though perhaps you're referring to other clips elsewhere? IOW, I assume Paul has good reason to think the AA is close to the Sony but the clips he posted here did not corroborate that opinion for me.
You need to check the proper singing and rapping shootouts Tim. There are plenty of links and as I recall overall the AA wins out as the Sony or the favourite.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear