The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Retro 176 vs 1176A (Blue Stripe)
Old 24th February 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
Retro 176 vs 1176A (Blue Stripe)

How would you compare these two sonically?

Going for modern vocals, pop, hiphop, etc...
Old 24th February 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
iangomes's Avatar
Blue stripe over 176 in this situation 100%. An original blue stripe is killer on those kind of vocals.
Old 24th February 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
How would you compare these two sonically?

Going for modern vocals, pop, hiphop, etc...
The Retro 176 is based on Bill Putnams Valve based 176 which preceded the 1176A which was/is a replacement for the 176. The 1176A is also a transistor-based compressor which I'm sure you know.

The Retro 176 is at home in a modern studio that wants the 'vari-mu' type sound.
I happen to like it quite a bit - but on the output Buss as a 'knitting/gluing' type compressor.

The Blue 1176A has plenty of noise and distortion and will give plenty of 'color' to a vocal track. Whether you'll use that color, and your clients will like that kind of color is another thing.

I don't like either if I am recording in Logic or Pro Tools. I do love them both for tape.
Old 25th February 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
How would you compare these two sonically?

Going for modern vocals, pop, hiphop, etc...
I'd use an 1176 Blue stripe but after a Requisite Pal Plus or a Tubetech CL1B etc.
Old 25th February 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
iangomes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
The Retro 176 is based on Bill Putnams Valve based 176 which preceded the 1176A which was/is a replacement for the 176. The 1176A is also a transistor-based compressor which I'm sure you know.

The Retro 176 is at home in a modern studio that wants the 'vari-mu' type sound.
I happen to like it quite a bit - but on the output Buss as a 'knitting/gluing' type compressor.

The Blue 1176A has plenty of noise and distortion and will give plenty of 'color' to a vocal track. Whether you'll use that color, and your clients will like that kind of color is another thing.

I don't like either if I am recording in Logic or Pro Tools. I do love them both for tape.
I don’t really find the blues very noisy/distorted, but Maybe I like that stuff.
Old 25th February 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
I don’t really find the blues very noisy/distorted, but Maybe I like that stuff.
Well it's relative isn't it? Noise and Distortion sound like bad stuff but it's really not- but it's what people now call 'Color' that was called 'cool sounding' back in the day.
Old 26th February 2020
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

1176 is not my fav for rap hip hop / pop. CL 1B all day long
Old 28th February 2020
  #8
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
a real blue can add nice harmonics push mids but tame sib;s
in your face if needed.don't remotely care about any so called noise issues.
the 176 is classy but colored and has a glassy sheen to it as opposed to an old UA which is a bit grimier funky.
both different compression characteristics and sound
running one into another can be very cool.
Old 28th February 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
What RB said. Pick your color:
1176=midrange
176=high end sheen
Old 28th February 2020
  #10
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
What RB said. Pick your color:
1176=midrange
176=high end sheen
my homie syra uses the 176's on acoustic based mix buss stuff.sounds reeal nice
Old 28th February 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
my homie syra uses the 176's on acoustic based mix buss stuff.sounds reeal nice
Yeah 176s sound amazing on acoustic stuff.
Old 29th February 2020
  #12
Blue stripe is aggro mids, obvious harmonic distortion that pushes things forward and makes them feel brighter, and a pretty awesome grabby compression with some distortion on release. Gets more gnarly with higher gr.

176 is generally more transparent (tho the originals have some obvious low mid grit) but makes things bigger. Is a bit gooey sounding. Can be a little unforgiving in the headroom department. Can also do massive amounts of gr without sounding small.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump