The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
rent vs buy nice mics for personal project studio
View Poll Results: Is it better to rent or own nice mics for occasionally recording different vocalists?
rent the mics you need when you need them
1 Votes - 7.14%
own a couple of nice microphones
13 Votes - 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I can’t speak for Maine, but I’d bet the roads are better and the French is worse.
This time of year they have 8-foot-high wooden stakes painted Day-Glo orange on the top so you can find the roads under the snow. And aside from the bars near the logging camps, where you have a good chance of getting killed, there is no French. Way more moose than mousse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. The Slate does seem like a good way to try out a lot of different "vibes" for mics. I am not keen to own a microphone that requires software updates tied to a computer OS, though.

Also, forgot to follow up on this:

I see AA are a GS budget favourite. And as a Canadian business, I don't have to pay duties. My questions are, as someone who's used a lot of mics, do you feel they line up with the more expensive ones you mentioned in terms of quality? Specifically: both sound quality and physical build quality? I also notice they do not recommend their own 87 version as a vocal mic. What would you get in terms of 1, 2, or 3 AA mics to cover a range of singers? I've got male baritone and tenor, and female mezzo-soprano (warm, not too sibilant voice), plus an unlimited unknown number of future collaborators I haven't yet recorded.

I guess this moves the thread from "should I buy" to what should I buy" but it's GS and that already happened.
I reviewed the CM67SE and CM251 for Tape Op. You can read it HERE.

The sound and build quality are quite nice on these mics. I was lucky enough to have them both for a while so I got to do a bunch of things with them. I should have bought the CM67se, and probably will get one eventually. I keep thinking about how pleasing and finished that mic sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The roads we saw in Canada in October were near-perfect, and outside the Montreal environs were a pleasure to drive. Maine roads were similar to good “hill country” roads we’ve seen in other US states... not bad.
Mostly for the safety of others I try to avoid driving in snow in any country.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
If you’re always going to rent the same thing, it makes sense to buy one. Like you say, 5 rentals and you’d be ahead; it doesn’t make sense NOT to buy.

However, if you’re likely to want to mix and match, it’s less obvious.

And yes - a good 2nd hand 87 isn’t going to lose money, so it doesn’t matter if it sits there getting used 1 month in 6 and you sell it after 4 years - you’re still ahead!
Best advice so far. If you take your time and buy optimally performing used gear. You minimally break even in the recording game.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want a tube U47 style mic check out a used Pearlman TM-1 used around $1100.00 or $1200 I love mine for years now ..use it on every vocal that I record..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
There is something - kind of like an intimate knowledge, but really quite more than just that - that grows from 'owning' a high-end mic and which can never be equaled or simulated by 'renting' that very same model of high-end mic. At least, that is my experience.

Of course, most can't just go buy every high-end piece of gear we want; but. . .

Buy if you can,

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I see AA are a GS budget favourite. And as a Canadian business, I don't have to pay duties. My questions are, as someone who's used a lot of mics, do you feel they line up with the more expensive ones you mentioned in terms of quality? Specifically: both sound quality and physical build quality? I also notice they do not recommend their own 87 version as a vocal mic. What would you get in terms of 1, 2, or 3 AA mics to cover a range of singers? I've got male baritone and tenor, and female mezzo-soprano (warm, not too sibilant voice), plus an unlimited unknown number of future collaborators I haven't yet recorded.

I'm not sure where you read that AA don't recommend the CM87 for vocals, but I purchased one in the summer after chatting to Mike from their European base in Portugal (I'm in the UK) - he was super helpful and friendly, and based on my intended uses (mainly female vox, and my own voice which has a bit of an edge to it) he recommended the cm87, (when he could quite easily have steered me in the direction of one of their pricier models).

I've been really pleased with it - vocals sit at the front of dense synthpop / alt rock mixes with pretty minimal processing - I usually have a TLA100 on the way in, and then a bit of tape emulation itb, and a lot of times, it doesn't need much more than a little bit of extra presence and air (usually from something like a Maag or V76).

I've used plenty of both modern and vintage 87's, and I'm pretty sure if I needed to, I could comp between an actual 87 and the cm87 without much difficulty.

Also, regarding the original question, I'm with most of the other folks here - I'd only rent if I was thinking about buying a specific mic, and for some reason couldn't borrow one from a friend, or buy from a store that would take it back if it wasn't working out. I definitely couldn't justify a reasonably-significant annual outgoing to then be without a decent mic for most of the rest of the year. You never know when you might need it...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
One thing I noticed every time I've rented, with either mics or vintage Neve 1073's or 1081's or other classic gear, is everyone feels the need to get a lot done in the time period as you know you have a date it needs to be returned and you might not get the same unit again. Great for productivity and as someone else mentioned you learn a lot.

That said I much prefer to own. Granted it's taken me years with a lot of patience and being ready when lucky deals present themselves but it's always inspiring recording with tools you love and knowing you have them at all times.

Bringing it back to topic I also vote for the 87ai. Solid on it's own but you can also get the IO Audio 67 or InnerTube Audio mod and you get a few great mics in one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search